Post a reply

Re: O' Sullivan...is anyone getting annoyed by him now?

Postby N_Castle07

I wish people would give Ronnie and Hendry a break regarding entering tournaments. I’m sure if they were the same age as Selby and Murphy they would be entering as many as they could. There best days are arguably behind them now and obviously they won’t be practicing as much as Selby and Murphy.

Postby Monique

N_Castle07 wrote:I wish people would give Ronnie and Hendry a break regarding entering tournaments. I’m sure if they were the same age as Selby and Murphy they would be entering as many as they could. There best days are arguably behind them now and obviously they won’t be practicing as much as Selby and Murphy.

I will second that.

Hendry has won it all and he is now struggling with his game for various reasons. It's extremely hard on him to have to go and play in all those small unglamorous events, all over the world. He has nothing to prove, he doesn't need the money and he certainly doesn't enjoy to be struggling in cubicles. Nobody has the right to tell him he should retire. If he still believes in himself and wants to give the game another go, then he should get the fans support. But realistically he can't enjoy this.

Ronnie is a different case. I don't think his game is in decline. Think of what he showed in the World Open, in the PL and in the shoot-out. But his motivation is certainly very low. He also has won it all, he doesn't need the money neither and has nothing to prove. There have been a lot of important changes in his private life recently and he certainly needs time to adjust. It would be the same if he was working in an office, only it would not be exposed in the media. What Barry Hearn does for the game is fantastic and Ronnie would be the first to say it. However from his private point of view, the new very busy calendar, the globalisation of the game (and the travels it implies), mean that he basically has to chose between his career and his personal needs and commitments (family and others). It is absolutely clear that he can't go on entering tournaments and then not turning up. He has made his priorities clear and I don't think he will change them. So I'm not expecting to see him entering many ranking events next season, if any. And with that perspective in mind, I don't expect him to be very committed to the remainder of this season neither.

You will tell me what about John Higgins? isn't he in the same situation? Well, no. Higgins has to rehabilitate himself and rebuild his credibility and honour. You can't have a stronger motivation than this. Ronnie won the Masters weeks after his UK walk-out, and he won the WC after the China "scandal" and under threat of a ban. What Higgins was involved into was a lot worse and surely he's more motivated than ever in his career. Contrary to what so many people go repeating he hasn't always been a "model professional", he hasn't always given it 100% in the past. But now he will, I have no doubts.

Postby Wildey

i think the way they go about not entering takes a lot to be desired to be honest not for the organisers they love having big drawing cards on their schedule but it does con people to get tickets to watch them and then they no show.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:i think the way they go about not entering takes a lot to be desired to be honest not for the organisers they love having big drawing cards on their schedule but it does con people to get tickets to watch them and then they no show.

That's why I said it can't go on. The situation has to be clear from the fan's point of view. If they enter they should turn up. But then maybe the deadline to enter should be as close to the start of the event as practically possible.
As for entering because the organisers want big names ... sorry, yes they do, but Hendry and ROS have done plenty for the game and still do, and maybe it's time the organisers start to promote the younger players instead of relying on the older ones. They will not be around forever anyway.
There are many ways to give back to their sport. Exhibitions is one. Hendry will be doing a series in Germany with Reanne Evans and Dennis Taylor come May. Ronnie has done about 10 in Germany, Austria and Hungary over the 2 last seasons, plus those he did inUK and Ireland. Ronnie is seriously involved in promoting grass-root snooker.

Postby Wildey

i think Hendrys career is hanging by entering tournaments he really cant afford not to.

but Ronnie is still playing to a high enough standard that he can be selective just make it clear from the offset all i ask for.

the way the tour is going next season with

9 main rankers
12 PTC
PTC Final
The Masters
Prem League
Championship League
Brazilian Masters
World Cup
Shootout.

28 tournaments.

it does give scope to not entering for someone like Ronnie.....so as long as its clear like Monique said i see no problem.

Postby Noel

Wild wrote:i think the way they go about not entering takes a lot to be desired to be honest not for the organisers they love having big drawing cards on their schedule but it does con people to get tickets to watch them and then they no show.

If the tickets purchased were to see a SPECIFIC player in a match and that player bails for whatever reason
then the customer should get a full refund in cash. Autographed. Plus a little "Sorry" note from the player.

No complaints.

=o)

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

Lets put this in perspective. The PTC events were events that were added to the calendar to give the players more opportunities to play and to earn money. To make sure the majority played in them, they also carried a small amount of ranking points so if you ignored them completely you could harm your ranking position.

However, the European ones aside, absolutely nobody can watch these. Tickets aren't on sale, to anybody. And until the finals, it isn't even televised. The question is this. Who is hurt by Ronnie, Hendry or anybody else not attending? They are playing in an empty arena, barring one or two people that they bring with them, and nobody is watching on TV. Who loses by Ronnie not being there? Answer; Ronnie. He doesn't get the ranking points, and he doesn't get the money. Does he need the ranking points? Probably not, though he isn't winning many ranking matches at present. Does he need the money? Certainly not.

If there was a problem with anybody on the main tour, not just Ronnie or Hendry, making out that they were entering a tournament, only to pull out a couple of days before without some reason, then that's a problem. Being tired isn't a good reason, if you've already been advertised. And neither is being unwilling to travel.

But in a non-televised, non-attended event where the only person who loses out is the player not entering, then why do we care what they do?

Postby TheCleaver

Not getting annoyed by Ronnie and there are quite a few tournaments to choose from now and he has always said that ranking doesn't matter to him.

The issue here is though that he always leaves his decision to the last minute and thus when he withdraws it gives his opponents a walkover to the next round as there is not enough time for someone else to come in or reshuffle the draw.

I think the ideal set up for Ronnie would be to have a tour comprised fully of 1 frame shootouts and power snooker and so he can earn his money in day. However this not what all of us want to see and the introduction of the new formats has done well to reshape the game but i'm still in favour of a tour having the backbone of the long frames of the WC and UK Champs aswell as the ones set up for Welsh Open etc.

Ronnie has now definitely become a marmite character though I admit!

Postby Roland

None of us are surprised when he pulls out of an event so this came as no shock. The guy is obviously reassessing his priorities in life and it's not his fault he's blessed and everyone wants to watch him all the time. He is entitled to pick and choose and it's perfectly understandable that travelling futher afield isn't appealing with all the airport security and hotels and being away from home if you've been there and done that would rather be at home or on a beach somewhere. It's better than turning up and deliberately losing.

There are so many events to choose from that he will still play in lots of televised snooker events for many years to come. Who knows if he can gather enough ranking points to stay on the main tour in 5 years time though. He can bank on a career of wildcard entries to big events until he hangs up his cue, and I dare say he'll eventually follow the Tony Knowles route into the World Championships if he has to. I think if the German Masters was a shot clock event he still wouldn't have gone.

Postby N_Castle07

It sounds silly but i think it would be a good thing for Ronnie to drop out of the top 16. If his ranking falls like Williams did it would turn him on and he would climb back better and faster than Williams did.

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:It sounds silly but i think it would be a good thing for Ronnie to drop out of the top 16. If his ranking falls like Williams did it would turn him on and he would climb back better and faster than Williams did.

totally different.

williams dropped out through playing badly but turning up....

Ronnie just not interested to try.

Postby N_Castle07

N_Castle07 wrote:It sounds silly but i think it would be a good thing for Ronnie to drop out of the top 16. If his ranking falls like Williams did it would turn him on and he would climb back better and faster than Williams did.

Good point Wild the circumstances are totally different but i do believe it would motivate him to climb the rankings.

I'd of thought his dad would be giving him a big kick up his bottom :huh2:

Postby Smart

N_Castle07 wrote:

Good point Wild the circumstances are totally different but i do believe it would motivate him to climb the rankings.

I'd of thought his dad would be giving him a big kick up his bottom :huh2:

Newcastle - I thought it would of been an inspiration having his dad out of nick but it seems that is not the case at all. I'm second guessing that the whole domestics situation is not at all straightforward and so the snooker is the thing that has to give way. <ok>

Postby Monique

I always said that it wouldn't help ROS in the least to have his father back, certainly not in the beginning. It was always going to be stressing times. Even happy events can be very stressing and people need time to reassess their priorities and adjust to the changes. Think marriage, birth of a child etc... After 18 years they both need to reconnect as neither of them has remained the same person. It would also only had to the pressure he has to cope with: wanting things too much can be destructive.
And as this is not the only thing he had to deal with privately over the last year, well yes, it's too much, and snooker comes after family.

Postby Rocket_ron

vodkadiet wrote:If Hearn puts on Power Snooker every weekend with the same prize fund as before you will suddenly find Ronnie is available every weekend.

true <ok>

ronnie is messing the sport about, picky and choosing is up to him... but he will drop out of the top 16 or 32 and he is no MJW so wont be coming back. 2 years and ronnie will be gone.

Its a shame he is leaving like this

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:I always said that it wouldn't help ROS in the least to have his father back, certainly not in the beginning. It was always going to be stressing times. Even happy events can be very stressing and people need time to reassess their priorities and adjust to the changes. Think marriage, birth of a child etc... After 18 years they both need to reconnect as neither of them has remained the same person. It would also only had to the pressure he has to cope with: wanting things too much can be destructive.
And as this is not the only thing he had to deal with privately over the last year, well yes, it's too much, and snooker comes after family.

good post <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Monique wrote:I always said that it wouldn't help ROS in the least to have his father back, certainly not in the beginning. It was always going to be stressing times. Even happy events can be very stressing and people need time to reassess their priorities and adjust to the changes. Think marriage, birth of a child etc... After 18 years they both need to reconnect as neither of them has remained the same person. It would also only had to the pressure he has to cope with: wanting things too much can be destructive.

good post <ok>

sums it up perfectly <ok>