Post a reply

Re: The Snookerfanatic Awards 2009

Postby GJ

eirebilly wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:im more disappointed about matthew stevens as he still has the game to win titles

The game yes but he seriously lacks the consistency required. If he had a little run and built up his confidence again then i can see at least 1 ore title in him. Possibly the Welsh open.

billy i still think if matthew works hard to could go deep at the worlds

<cool>

Postby Eirebilly

I hope GJ but i cant really see it happening just yet. I feel that he needs to string a few good results in tournements together first. He is a very good player at the longer formats. I really hope for him as he is one of my all time favourites.

Postby GJ

eirebilly wrote:I hope GJ but i cant really see it happening just yet. I feel that he needs to string a few good results in tournements together first. He is a very good player at the longer formats. I really hope for him as he is one of my all time favourites.

well the key as you say is confidence but if he hits form there are not many who would want to face him at the crucible

Postby That Cue Arm!

Best Player: John Higgins

Speaks for itself really, fantastic year for the Scot! And still it seems has a lot in the tank as for Ranking events

Best Match: John Higgins 5-6 Robertson

Edge of seat stuff, managed to convince my girlfriend snooker isn't just "cricket with more balls" watching this match.. and she's been going on about the "thunder from down under" ever since

Most improved player: Ding

At last!! He's Back!! .. back to back finals (and another UK title) may be the start of his ascend to world number 1

Best Comeback: Ronnie vs Higgins (UK)

Bit of a clique now.. but i didn't have a fingernail left on my hand come the final frame.. fitting match for the 2 best players of the last 10 years!

Most disappointing player: Cope

I don't buy into all this Trump bashing just yet, Stevens and Day aren't too far behind Cope in my opinion, as all 3 can be fantastic on there day (when it arrives) but haven't had a year to remember

Best performance of the year : Robertson at the Grand Prix

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.. fantastic week of snooker from the thunder from down under including a top performance vs Higgins and Ding

Posters of the year: thetubberlad

i'm new to all this.. his articles are usually spot on tho <ok>

And finally:

Player of the decade: Ronnie O'Sullivan

3 worlds titles.. enough 147's to keep the purist snooker fan happy.. raised the bar in how the game is played.. and attracted a lot of new comers to the game.. minus a bit of controversy a long the way (then again who doesn't like a bit of it now and again) he is the best player of the last 10 years in my opinion

Postby Eirebilly

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I hope GJ but i cant really see it happening just yet. I feel that he needs to string a few good results in tournements together first. He is a very good player at the longer formats. I really hope for him as he is one of my all time favourites.

well the key as you say is confidence but if he hits form there are not many who would want to face him at the crucible

Thats true enough GJ, he can be a very formidable opponant at the crucible. I had him down as a future World champion 10 years ago and around 2000 he looked on course to be one. I am not really sure that he has ever recovered from the death of his father.

Postby GJ

eirebilly wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

Thats true enough GJ, he can be a very formidable opponant at the crucible. I had him down as a future World champion 10 years ago and around 2000 he looked on course to be one. I am not really sure that he has ever recovered from the death of his father.

i know what you mean anyway my dream world final would be robbo v stevens

Postby Wildey

That Cue Arm!

it isnt trump bashing its showing disapointment in the player. nobody expecting him to win tournaments but his overall standard takes a lot to be desired at the moment he is 20 years of age now and at the rate he is going he wont make the grade that was expected of him.

ding won 3 titles by his 20th birthday Trump isn't close to reaching semi finals or quarter finals.

i think he needs to step it up soon or things will pass him by.

Postby That Cue Arm!

wildJONESEYE wrote:That Cue Arm!

it isnt trump bashing its showing disapointment in the player. nobody expecting him to win tournaments but his overall standard takes a lot to be desired at the moment he is 20 years of age now and at the rate he is going he wont make the grade that was expected of him.

ding won 3 titles by his 20th birthday Trump isn't close to reaching semi finals or quarter finals.

That's a fair point.. maybe Trump is a victim of his own success having such a glittering amateur career

Postby Wildey

That Cue Arm! wrote:

That's a fair point.. maybe Trump is a victim of his own success having such a glittering amateur career

Spot on .

i also think when trump goes to the table he feels invincible because he is so talented but when things aren't going his way in a match he doesent relish the battle and ends up trying to blits his oponement with his potting.

he did well in the league because thats a potting contest but in Ranking Events he has become open book for jerneymen to know how to play him.

Postby That Cue Arm!

wildJONESEYE wrote:
That Cue Arm! wrote:

Spot on .

i also think when trump goes to the table he feels invincible because he is so talented but when things aren't going his way in a match he doesent relish the battle and ends up trying to blits his oponement with his potting.

he did well in the league because thats a potting contest but in Ranking Events he has become open book for jerneymen to know how to play him.

Good point again.. maybe under the wing of the right coach.. and with a bit of experience.. this world champion potential may start to turn into trophy's

Postby Bourne

I've not seen enough positives from Cope to label anyhthing he's done be a letdown. His whole game has inconsistency written all over it and he's a bottler. Trump has a much better allround game.

Postby Lucky

Trump suffered what all outstanding junior talents endure in this country, no matter what the sport...........unbearable pressure and hype heaped on young shoulders. Being an outstanding junior is an entirely different kettle of fish to having to go out in the big bad world and actually make a living from a sport, the step up from being a big fish in a little pond to a sprat in the ocean can be crippleing. Unfortunately the British are notourious for finding young talent, building it up to unimaginable heights.........and then taking great pleasure in seeing that talent fail. In the current climate with a lot of professionals and few tournaments from which to make a living, snooker is an especially tough and cut throat sport in which to cut your teeth <ok>

Postby That Cue Arm!

Bourne wrote:I've not seen enough positives from Cope to label anyhthing he's done be a letdown. His whole game has inconsistency written all over it and he's a bottler. Trump has a much better allround game.

Agree.. but i don't think Trump is a touch on Wenbo

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Trump has a much better allround game.

any chance he might show us before he retires ? <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Wenbo is clearly improving all the time, I like that as a relative youngster of the game, he's learning. Trump's clearly taking a bit longer to get a grips of the matchplay side but he'll get there.

Postby That Cue Arm!

Bourne wrote:Wenbo is clearly improving all the time, I like that as a relative youngster of the game, he's learning. Trump's clearly taking a bit longer to get a grips of the matchplay side but he'll get there.

Agree again there.. Maybe these plans for more events will benefit someone like Trump more than anyone else.. a chance to play tournament snooker on a regular bases and really put a dint in his learning curve

Postby Wildey

That Cue Arm! wrote:
Bourne wrote:Wenbo is clearly improving all the time, I like that as a relative youngster of the game, he's learning. Trump's clearly taking a bit longer to get a grips of the matchplay side but he'll get there.

Agree again there.. Maybe these plans for more events will benefit someone like Trump more than anyone else.. a chance to play tournament snooker on a regular bases and really put a dint in his learning curve

it will benefit everyone me included ;)

Postby Tubberlad

I think we are seeing a more consistent side to Liang Wenbo the last few years. Has struggled however once drawn with bigger names like Higgins and Ronnie. I've heard some say that he's the new Jimmy White (in terms of play, not a lack of bottle), I'd strongly disagree though.

Postby Eirebilly

thetubberlad wrote:I think we are seeing a more consistent side to Liang Wenbo the last few years. Has struggled however once drawn with bigger names like Higgins and Ronnie. I've heard some say that he's the new Jimmy White (in terms of play, not a lack of bottle), I'd strongly disagree though.

I actually feel that Wenbo is starting to look more comfortable against the top players and dont think that it will be long before he starts getting a few scalps. A bit of a dark horse for next season IMHO.

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote:I think we are seeing a more consistent side to Liang Wenbo the last few years. Has struggled however once drawn with bigger names like Higgins and Ronnie. I've heard some say that he's the new Jimmy White (in terms of play, not a lack of bottle), I'd strongly disagree though.

But who hasn't struggled against O'Sullivan and Higgins?

Liang beat Maguire to win the tournament in China over the summer and reached the final in Shanghai beating Murphy in the semi so that suggests he can live with the big boys.

Postby Casey

eirebilly wrote:

I actually feel that Wenbo is starting to look more comfortable against the top players and dont think that it will be long before he starts getting a few scalps. A bit of a dark horse for next season IMHO.

If he gets into the top 16 he will be a real threat in tournaments. he looks good to get there at the minute but that can change very quickly, he will need to get to the Crucible to be sure.