Post a reply

Postby Tubberlad

It's been a strange year for our game. On the table, things are an awful lot healthier no doubt, but in many ways those improvements have been overshadowed by events away from the baize. As we all know, one of the game's finest ever players, John Higgins, found himself embroiled in a match fixing scandal, but it would be unfair to judge the past 365 days on those events alone.

In January, we were treated to one of the greatest games of all time when Mark Selby launched an astonishing comeback from 9-6 down against Ronnie O'Sullivan. The game had everything... fine breaks (check Selby's wondrous century in the 17th), dramatic frames (the 18th was one of the frames of the year), and a bit of edge between two excellent players. Selby deserved his win in my opinion, I felt he should never have been 9-6 down to begin with, and he repeated the trick at the Crucible in April.

The tournament was no classic, but a few games certainly were. The incomparable Steve Davis took out the popular pick for the title and defending champion John Higgins in a game of poor quality, but that mattered not a jot. Davis' shot from brown to develop the blue was one for the ages, and he was deserving of his win. Mark Williams and Ronnie O'Sullivan played the most high quality game of the tournament, with O'Sullivan taking a 13-10 win with a superb final session performance. In truth though, O'Sullivan looked edgy throughout the tournament, and it was no surprise when he lost a 9-5 lead against Mark Selby in the next round. It's fast becoming the most intriguing rivalry in the game, and one that has plenty mileage left I'm sure.

One of the stories of the tournament was Graeme Dott's return to prominence. The diminutive Scot made it to the final playing an exciting brand of snooker that was in total contrast to his gritty matchplay on his way to the 2006 title. He eventually lost out, and was well behind Robertson, but he had arguably been the player of the tournament. I like Dott. He was branded with the unfair and entirely ridiculous tag of worst ever World Champion. He is not, and went a long, long way to proving that his 2006 title was deserved. He may not appeal to everyone, but we must take notice: he has now played in as many World Finals as Ronnie O'Sullivan, a man labelled by some as the game's greatest ever.

Neil Robertson was crowned World Champion in 2010. He's an awesome player, and has what it takes to go down as a great, in fact he's already a contender for 'great' status for many. His win from 11-5 down against the much improved Martin Gould signalled that it was probably his to win. He did just that. His final with Dott was no 1985 or 1994, but Robertson will care little. He's been player of the year, and 2010 has been very kind to the Aussie. He won two ranking events, claimed the World Number One slot for a brief period, and became a father. Not bad.

His other ranker of course was the World Open. The tournament was a joy, arguably the best of the year. It operated on an open draw, best-of-5 FA-Cup style format, and rather surprisingly produced very, very few shocks. This could be put down to the high pressure from the off (fall 2-0 down and you could forget it), the one table set-up, and the high points tariff and cash. In the end, we had four World Champions in the semi-finals. Ronnie O'Sullivan looked destined for the title but was duly hammered in the final by Robertson, though he was still star of the tournament. His 147 was highly controversial, but still a mark of amazing talent.

Things were different in Telford. He looked disinterested against Bingham, a player he normally beats with ease. Stupidly, I ditched the tournament, and missed some classics, due to being totally snake hissed off with O'Sullivan. I don't buy into the notion that the only man who can beat Ronnie is Ronnie, never have and never will, be there are times when he clearly isn't up for it. That was one.

I did however watch that incredible final, and remembered the game is bigger than one player. In fact, there are two more who have been well up there: John Higgins and Mark Williams. I have decided not to discuss the Higgins matter... it left me and many others very annoyed, but it's been done to death. Everything that

He is a magnificent player, and it was one of the greatest snooker games of all time. Williams led 9-5, and was clearly the better player, but an astonishing 17th frame changed everything. Williams left Higgins needing a snooker... missed a green and went in-off. It was all over from there, and Higgins continued his incredible comeback form.

Has it been a good year for the game, Higgins affair aside? Yes, most certainly. Sponsorship for each tournament, classic games, and a general upturn in fortunes. O'Sullivan said the game was dying in 2009 unless something was done quickly... well, it's certainly in much better health now.

Re: 2010

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:His other ranker of course was the World Open. The tournament was a joy, arguably the best of the year.

<doh> The best what of the year?

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:His other ranker of course was the World Open. The tournament was a joy, arguably the best of the year.

Yup, and I stick by that. However, of course I prefer longer formats <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I found that a rubbish tournament. Ronnie refused to pot a black. Some other stuff happened that week, I think, but I'm not sure as it's all the commentators and analysists talked about. :roll:

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

mate i felt short changed with the world open so it is well down on my list of best tournaments on the year.

i felt like oliver twist "please sir i want some more"

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

mate i felt short changed with the world open so it is well down on my list of best tournaments on the year.

i felt like oliver twist "please sir i want some more"

I did. And the minute little things they expected us to be interested in. "Look, somebody won a match when they were two frames down. I mean, two WHOLE frames." <doh>

Postby Smart

<laugh>

Nice summary Tubs. I would of added (but its only my opinion), that the Dotty/Allen match in Sheffield was top drawer for quality entertainment. <cool>