Post a reply

Re: Championship Snooker League. What is the point?

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:im with you snookerfan

id much rather a slow best of 17 than a fast PL Match .

PL Matches lacking what makes snooker great the safeties are basic up and down no thought goes in to shots.

did you not see the classic 6th frame in the Murphy - Selby PL game, best safety battle / tactical frame of 2010 IMO.

Errr.... If I am truly honest, I don't remember. PL really doesn't leave much of a lasting impression with me. Where was it that they played? :huh:

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:The shot-clock in PL was introduced only as an attempt to control the matches length for broadcasting purposes, not for any other reason. There is no need for that here, so it isn't used. It's a total misconception that BH introduced the shot-clock to "speed things up".

Bit of a contradiction there <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

LeBourne wrote:
Monique wrote:The shot-clock in PL was introduced only as an attempt to control the matches length for broadcasting purposes, not for any other reason. There is no need for that here, so it isn't used. It's a total misconception that BH introduced the shot-clock to "speed things up".

Bit of a contradiction there <laugh>

Inelegantly phrased, but I take his point. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I must say I've quite enjoyed today, got to see a few people. All against Higgins somehow. <laugh> As Wild said earlier, I don't think I'd want to watch it all day every day, but I think it makes a good one or two day at a time event.

I wouldn't want rankers like this, or anything. It'd lead to the too much without leaving a lasting impression you get with the World Open. But what I have seen of it, I've enjoyed more then I thought it would. Something to dip into. Finger food, rather then a feast.

Postby Wildey

shot clock on the whole doesn't help with speeding up a match because the players there is in the league plays quick but with added pressure of having a shot clock means there's more quick shots played extending the matches.

i think the PL without the shot clock would be quicker for broadcasters because the players are fluent anyway.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:

shot clock on the whole doesn't help with speeding up a match because the players there is in the league plays quick but with added pressure of having a shot clock means there's more quick shots played extending the matches.

i think the PL without the shot clock would be quicker for broadcasters because the players are fluent anyway.

I'm not sure they would all be that fluent if it wasn't there. Anyway, if they felt the need to put it in place it's for a reason and the reason is to try to control the duration of the match for broadcasting (same goes for a format played over 6 frames, not best of something). The initial intention was to have a 20 sec shot-clock, but that proved too short to maintain quality (source Phil Yates)

Postby Wildey

i think the PL is fine its something different but id scrap the time outs if they want it to be truly different and the exhibition it was meant to be.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:i think the PL is fine its something different but id scrap the time outs if they want it to be truly different and the exhibition it was meant to be.

The timeouts allow for better quality in really difficult situations and using them wisely adds an element of strategy that is quite interesting.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i think the PL is fine its something different but id scrap the time outs if they want it to be truly different and the exhibition it was meant to be.

The timeouts allow for better quality in really difficult situations and using them wisely adds an element of strategy that is quite interesting.

We're getting bogged down in arguing about something that can't be resolved here. Interesting is a subjective term, in that what I find interesting, you might not. And an example is that. I don't really care about the strategy of timeouts. People use them without me getting any feeling about it whatsoever, but somebody else might see this as an interesting tactical point. Like yourself.

Opinion is always going to be divided on something like this. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss it, that's what internet forums are for. But when that discussion gets to be too lengthy or argumentative, it ends up being a bit unneccessary. Because we will all find different things interesting.