Post a reply

Re: Championship Snooker League. What is the point?

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:I agree Witz and I think that was the original design goal of PTCs/EPTCs: to give young and lower ranked players more opportunities. In a way BH tried to have the cake and eat it. Have the top boys compete in it with the possible reward of the Grand Final while still giving the others an opportunity window. It did not work as expected, the top boys, as a majority didn't go for it as he hoped for. That's why the rules are changed.

a lot of the higher ranked players will have to take it more seriously next season if they want to preserve their ranking as they will find they cannot afford to sacrifice the PTCs which account for around 35% of all ranking points available per season.

One look at the one year ranking list shows that those who have neglected the PTC events are generally far further down the list than those who have played well. The likes of Hendry and Ronnie being classic examples. Allen dismissed the PTCs early in the season then suddenly realised he would drop out of the top 16 if he continued to not take part in them.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:Regarding Ronnie it's mainly about not entering the Shanghai Masters. Had he entered he it would be ahead of Carter, had he won just one match he would be 7th.

Then again had he also taken the UK match v Bingham seriously......

Had he also entered some more PTC events....

he could be well up the rankings. Whilst hes still well clear of the top 16 trapdoor a similar attitude over the next year will see him in danger and the lack of PTC points will be a key factor.

Postby Monique

I don't think he didn't take that UK match seriously. Stuart played very well but also something (and it might be a small thing, I just don't know) triggered a huge mood swing in Ronnie. This is NOT an excuse. Ronnie's mental frailties are part of him, always have been and probably played their role here. It's part of the package, just like his instinctive brilliance is.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:players has to make effort full stop.

Higgins got punished and Ding Had family time.

i think in britain there shouldn't be any criteria but in other countries you got to put in a minimum clause of 4 Events out of 6 but during the proper season.

Ding Missed out because 4 PTC was during the "SUMMER"

also players who pull out of events gets 1000 Ranking Points deducted.

if you dont want to play Dont Enter.

That I'm sorry to say is just bitterness and idiotic. Why have points deducted? Players have to enter far too long beforehand, they can't possibly foresee all possible circumstances. Not to mention that by entering they contribute to cover the expenses as they pay their entry fees.
Ronnie also had family time and with more reasons for that than Ding who's mother lives in Britain with him when he is there. It was Ding's choice. Simply. I don't blame him, but it was his choice, with no constrainsts, and no visa problems neither.
As for Higgins, he was punished, yes, and rightly so. Maybe event too leniently actually. A six months ban largely over the "dead" part of the season ...

Instead of making constraining rules like that, WSA should make EPTC more attractive: give them more ranking points, pay better (this season players were earning less for EPTCs than for PTCS while most of them obviously had more costs to expose to participate - that's just not logical)

IM TOUGH

if players pull out after the draw made they get punished very hard .

i would not pussy foot around players whims hit them hard.

Postby Monique

You're not though Wild, you are bitter.
Players should not be punished at all for withdrawing. It's their loss anyway, ranking wise, financially wise (prize money and sponsoring), it's more than enough.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:You're not though Wild, you are bitter.
Players should not be punished at all for withdrawing. It's their loss anyway, ranking wise, financially wise (prize money and sponsoring), it's more than enough.

no its not half enough the fact players took the snake hiss out of the PTC Says its not enough by a long chalk.

what have i got to be bitter about :? dont get that... sod all to do with me its whats right for organizers and having withdrawals left right and center looks bad

Postby excalibur

The real question is, what is the point of fans like wild. Complete waste of time who whinges when there aren't enough tournaments and then whinges because they don't conform to his way of thinking or enjoyment.

Waste of time who doesn't realise in the slightest why Snooker suffered for so long and wouldn't understand business appeal if it hit him right in his knawladge centre.

Postby randam05

All of those players, all of those matches, all of that money for one place in the premier league..ronnie and murphy have to play in this yes? arent they already guaranteed a spot in PL? I dont get it, but im not going to moan about it.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's a tournament in it's own right, not just a PL qualifying competition. Darts has a CL which doesn't carry a PL Wild Card. I couldn't care less about it but theres nothing really wrong with it apart from a messy and stupid format. I know that in darts Adrian Lewis won more money from failing to him some of his Groups than he would have had he topped it first time (he didn't do it deliberately) so there is room for corruption if Higgins a player wanted.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

excalibur wrote:Extra money, extra match practice, and the Premier League has a LOT of money and TV time on offer, even if the fanbase like wild are doing their best to keep the clock out of the main tour (not for long though boys ;) )

I'd rather the event had more prestige and even rank points but people keep getting in the way of it. That's the only issue. Also, since the event is for the premier league it should be under shot clock.

It's a reasonable enough event and I have no real problem with a Shot Clock in a certain context but the PL still has a bit of an exhibition feel considering six of the seven places are invited. It's improved now they've stopped inviting White, Davis & Hendry but it still lack the importance of the Darts one despite it's huge number of faults (too many wildcards, too long, tired format, idiot crowds, exhibition feel). The darts league pretty much kickstarted the PDC boom when Barney joined and is a huge part of it's marketing. I wonder would they be able to take the Snooker PL down the route of large noisy crowds in larger venues in the cities.

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:All of those players, all of those matches, all of that money for one place in the premier league..ronnie and murphy have to play in this yes? arent they already guaranteed a spot in PL? I dont get it, but im not going to moan about it.

Murphy has certainly: unless he wins a tournament this season he might well miss out, like Selby did last season despite being a finalist the season before. Ronnie doesn't need to: he's the defending champion and as such his spot in PL is garanteed. However players have come to realise it's good match practice and paid one, so Ronnie is going for it, like Murphy did last year as well.

Postby vodkadiet

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:All of those players, all of those matches, all of that money for one place in the premier league..ronnie and murphy have to play in this yes? arent they already guaranteed a spot in PL? I dont get it, but im not going to moan about it.

Murphy has certainly: unless he wins a tournament this season he might well miss out, like Selby did last season despite being a finalist the season before. Ronnie doesn't need to: he's the defending champion and as such his spot in PL is garanteed. However players have come to realise it's good match practice and paid one, so Ronnie is going for it, like Murphy did last year as well.

The only reason Ronnie is playing is because it is being played just up the road from where he lives. Move it out of Essex and he won't be there.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/12/preparation-game.html

so next season he will leave his kids and go to play in PTC Events :huh2:

or he sais that NOW because the championship league is at his doorstep :huh2:

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/12/preparation-game.html

so next season he will leave his kids and go to play in PTC Events :huh2:

or he sais that NOW because the championship league is at his doorstep :huh2:

He has said the same in his post-match more or less. And then he also said that he needs to find a way to organise his life so that he can play in more events. How, that's to be seen, but at least that's what he wants to do. PTC/EPTC not being all cluttered in the first half of the season should help, and no constraints on how many or which one you attend should help also.
And it's not "just about Ronnie". Robertson and Carter (and probably others, but those two I'm certain) were finding it difficult also and they are not single parents.
Defo the CLS being on his doorstep is handy.

Postby Eirebilly

Seems to be a bit of tension in this thread. Personally i dont see any reason why players cant appear in at least 90% of the events. The rest of the working world is expected to have at least that % per working year.

Postby vodkadiet

Is Ronnie now being portrayed as a great father?

It is a shame he didn't have this mentality for his first child, whom he only provided maintenance of about £60 a week for, in the late 1990s.

I think he is just a lazy good for nothing who won't get out of bed for more than £20,000 for a day's work.

Postby Monique

vodkadiet wrote:Is Ronnie now being portrayed as a great father?

It is a shame he didn't have this mentality for his first child, whom he only provided maintenance of about £60 a week for, in the late 1990s.

I think he is just a lazy good for nothing who won't get out of bed for more than £20,000 for a day's work.

of course frame, of course ... :zzz:

Postby Tubberlad

Championship League is rubbish, simple as that.

1) Too long
2) Rubbish format
3) No Ranking points
4) The prize at the end is of no importance. A Premier League spot? Pointless...

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:Championship League is rubbish, simple as that.

1) Too long - HELD OVER 4 WEEKS X 4 DAYS WHEN THERE IS NO OTHER SNOOKER ON, 16 DAYS IN TOTAL, HARDLY THAT LONG :huh:
2) Rubbish format - I AGREE ITS MAJORLY FLAWED <ok>
3) No Ranking points - ITS AN ELITE INVITATIONAL EVENT AS IS THE PREMIER LEAGUE SO RANKING POINTS WOULDNT WORK :no:
4) The prize at the end is of no importance. A Premier League spot? Pointless - RUBBISH, JUST COS IT AINT YOUR CUP OF TEA. ALL PLAYERS ARE KEEN TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS. END OF <ok> ...

Postby Tubberlad

I'm not suggesting the Championship League should have ranking points at all, on the contrary. I just feel you could fire in a few more PTCs in place of this thing... ranking events with something worthwhile to play for.

I don't know if the Players really want to play in the Premier League, maybe they do, but I just can't understand why they would go to this sort of trouble for a Premier League slot. I'm not entirely opposed to the notion of a qualifying event, but it should be a one-off and a lot more direct.

Also, the Premier League could be streamlined a bit I feel. Three major winners, defending champion, wild card and a qualifier... a cutback of one player, better tournament IMO

Postby vodkadiet

I am not a fan of The Premier League. I think it is just a gimmick event, the shot clocks,the presentation etc. However, if you're going to have a qualification event for it then why not first select the players you want to play in it the following the season and then have the rest of the players playing for the other places?

For example, this season you would already have O'Sullivan selected, along with Robertson and John Higgins. This would leave 4 other places to play for. You could then have the next 16 high ranked players playing in 4 separate events of 4 players each and get the result played out on a single day.

ie

Day 1: Players ranked 3,7, 12,17
Day 2: Players ranked 4,10,15,19
Day 3; Players ranked 5, 11,13,18
Day 4: Players ranked 6,8,14,16

You could hold the separate events all in one week and it would all be resolved very quickly.

Each player would play the other 3 in best of 5s and the top 2 would play a best of 9 frame final.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 30 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:4) The prize at the end is of no importance. A Premier League spot? Pointless - RUBBISH, JUST COS IT AINT YOUR CUP OF TEA. ALL PLAYERS ARE KEEN TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS. END OF <ok> ...

maybe all players might be keen to be involved in a gang bang would there be any point in that snooker wise ????

Postby Casey

Yea right Ronnie, you lost to Bingham because lack of match practise :roll:

I guess hitting the ball as hard as you can and taking on 1% pots comes from not playing in the PTC. :clap:

Postby vodkadiet

JR did it! wrote:Yea right Ronnie, you lost to Bingham because lack of match practise :roll:

I guess hitting the ball as hard as you can and taking on 1% pots comes from not playing in the PTC. :clap:

Yeah, Ronnie has done nothing but play snooker all his life, but he suddenly forgot how to play having just won The Premier League the week before. ;)

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:4) The prize at the end is of no importance. A Premier League spot? Pointless - RUBBISH, JUST COS IT AINT YOUR CUP OF TEA. ALL PLAYERS ARE KEEN TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS. END OF <ok> ...

maybe all players might be keen to be involved in a gang bang would there be any point in that snooker wise ????

<laugh> That's going in the favourite Wild quotes thread.

Postby Monique

eirebilly wrote:Monique;

I know that you are a Ronnie fan and your defence of him is admirable but surely even you must start to get just a little tired of his excuses?

He made no excuses - he acknowledged that Stuart had been the better player and that he had been wrong to snub so many PTCs/EPTCs - and I made no excuses for him neither. You better read what I posted on his own forum about that early exit www.ronnieosullivan.tv .