Post a reply

Re: Championship Snooker League. What is the point?

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:I'm not suggesting the Championship League should have ranking points at all, on the contrary. I just feel you could fire in a few more PTCs in place of this thing... ranking events with something worthwhile to play for.

I don't know if the Players really want to play in the Premier League, maybe they do, but I just can't understand why they would go to this sort of trouble for a Premier League slot. I'm not entirely opposed to the notion of a qualifying event, but it should be a one-off and a lot more direct.

Also, the Premier League could be streamlined a bit I feel. Three major winners, defending champion, wild card and a qualifier... a cutback of one player, better tournament IMO

£1000 to win a frame, £2000 if it's a century. A possible £12,000 for 2 hours or so work.

Postby Eirebilly

Monique;

I am not talking about that one match i am talking in general. He seems to me to be the only snooker player with ready made excuses for every occasion.

Anyway, i am off out soon to indulge in some fine beer and fireworks. Hopefully tomorrow i will have all 10 fingers intact. Have a good one people :ahh:

Postby Monique

eirebilly wrote:Monique;

I am not talking about that one match i am talking in general. He seems to me to be the only snooker player with ready made excuses for every occasion.

Anyway, i am off out soon to indulge in some fine beer and fireworks. Hopefully tomorrow i will have all 10 fingers intact. Have a good one people :ahh:

You should attend more press conferences then Billy... because he isn't, neither the only one, nor the one who does it more often. Far from it. BUT he is the one who is always on the radars of certain media and some fans.
The most blatant recent example was what was made of his WC press conference after he lost in April. Ask Susan, she was there also. A lot was made about something he DID NOT say while his praising of Selby and wishing him good were just ignored.

Whatever. Enjoy your beer and be cautious with the fireworks!

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:I'm not suggesting the Championship League should have ranking points at all, on the contrary. I just feel you could fire in a few more PTCs in place of this thing... ranking events with something worthwhile to play for.

I don't know if the Players really want to play in the Premier League, maybe they do, but I just can't understand why they would go to this sort of trouble for a Premier League slot. I'm not entirely opposed to the notion of a qualifying event, but it should be a one-off and a lot more direct.

Also, the Premier League could be streamlined a bit I feel. Three major winners, defending champion, wild card and a qualifier... a cutback of one player, better tournament IMO

£1000 to win a frame, £2000 if it's a century. A possible £12,000 for 2 hours or so work.

And playing in front of packed houses and n television on a regular basis for half of the season. Good exposure + sponsoring money. Plus good match practice against other top boys.

Postby Wildey

i think the PL Could be cut back or better still played over a longer time frame so that the finals weekend happens just before the WC.

it does seem odd that its finished before christmas.

if they extend the PL in to January and February they could then streamline the championship league in to a more sensible format.

January 2011 13 free snookerles days

3-6
Championship League*

The Masters

January 9-16, 2011

Wembley Arena

24-27
Championship League*

World Snooker Shoot Out

January 28-30, 2011

Circus Arena, Blackpool

this is the calender for january 2012 5 free days

JANUARY

3-6
German Masters Qualifiers
Academy

8-15
The Masters

16-19
Spare qualifiers (March slot)

16-19
Championship League*

20-22
PTC 12

23-26
Championship League*

27-29
Sky Shoot Out

Postby Monique

Dave H is in his own way wishing happy new year to snooker http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... baize.html?

Doing so he explains why the CLS is a success.
He also expresses his satisfaction that the Masters never became ranking. I fully agree with him : we do not need more ranking events, we need more non ranking events with decent prize money. People tend to forget that in snookers glory day there weren't much more ranking events, certainly not in the 80th and in the 90th there were never more than 10 and then only on 2 or 3 occasions. But there were much more non ranking events. It's those events where decent price money gives enough motivations to players but ranking pressure isn't there so that they aren't afraid to lose that provide the best snooker and allow them to express themselves. "Professionalism" can actually kill a sport when its exponents start to forget that without an audience there is no chance for future development. Those famous 70th-80th that trigger so much nostalgia were days where players had to be entertainers, their living depended on it. Steve Davis started to change that, he was the first true full-fledged pro, and with a hindsight I'm not sure it's for the best.

Postby SnookerFan

It's not really my favourite event the Premier League. I've been to three of them in my time, and they are alright for a night out. But as a thing to watch every week, it just gets boring. I made a point of watching this season whilst staying somewhere with Sky, so I didn't have to go to a pub if I wanted to see it. But I got bored, I didn't even watch the end of the final. Shot clock snooker isn't snooker, and there shouldn't be draws in snooker. Even the most boring match at Telford, was more interesting then the best match in the PL. Just personal opinion though.

Postby Monique

If we all were the same and liked the same things this world would be far less interesting. I like the PL and I like the shot-clock also although I'm not asking to turn any event into shot-clock, well certainly not 25 seconds shot-clock anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:If we all were the same and liked the same things this world would be far less interesting. I like the PL and I like the shot-clock also although I'm not asking to turn any event into shot-clock, well certainly not 25 seconds shot-clock anyway.

No, I certainly wouldn't advocate that. But, as a PL event, it's fine. It doesn't have to be watched, if one doesn't like it. I find it better to dip into, to be honest. The odd visit love, and maybe pop out for a beer or two to watch a match, nothing more devoted to that. But I'm sure there are people that like the PL and not ranking events.

I must say I wish I had come to this Championship League beforehand, it seems entertaining enough, for what it is. Honest John takes the first frame.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Dave H is in his own way wishing happy new year to snooker http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... baize.html?

Doing so he explains why the CLS is a success.
He also expresses his satisfaction that the Masters never became ranking. I fully agree with him : we do not need more ranking events, we need more non ranking events with decent prize money. People tend to forget that in snookers glory day there weren't much more ranking events, certainly not in the 80th and in the 90th there were never more than 10 and then only on 2 or 3 occasions. But there were much more non ranking events. It's those events where decent price money gives enough motivations to players but ranking pressure isn't there so that they aren't afraid to lose that provide the best snooker and allow them to express themselves. "Professionalism" can actually kill a sport when its exponents start to forget that without an audience there is no chance for future development. Those famous 70th-80th that trigger so much nostalgia were days where players had to be entertainers, their living depended on it. Steve Davis started to change that, he was the first true full-fledged pro, and with a hindsight I'm not sure it's for the best.

i agree Ranking Tournaments should not = prestiege and doesn't in my mind anyway.
next season there will be 9 Ranking Events and the PTC also a team event, 3 maybe 4 invitational events 1 in brazil and then the Masters i think that is a great foundation to build the sport up from so theres no need to add more Ranking events to the schedule.

the next move must be broadcasting the PTC either online or for the Paul Hunter Classic on Eurosport.

Regarding with the CL ive never liked the format but i could see the benefit of it last few years now im not sure yes Dave Hendon likes it because it gives him employment but from a neutral that gains nothing from it financially or pays to see it i think its past it sell by date and they should look to re design it in another format now.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Did Rob Walker really do commentary on it last year? <laugh>

no

comentators on it has been

Clive Everton
Phil Yates
Dave Hendon
Neal Foulds

and some Irish Guy

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:so no Rob Walker who said he had ?

I had a feeling somebody did last year, and we were criticising him for it. Maybe I just had one two many beers one time, and dreamt it.

Rob Walker did commentary for 110sport short lived coverage of the qualifiers.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:It's not really my favourite event the Premier League. I've been to three of them in my time, and they are alright for a night out. But as a thing to watch every week, it just gets boring. I made a point of watching this season whilst staying somewhere with Sky, so I didn't have to go to a pub if I wanted to see it. But I got bored, I didn't even watch the end of the final. Shot clock snooker isn't snooker, and there shouldn't be draws in snooker. Even the most boring match at Telford, was more interesting then the best match in the PL. Just personal opinion though.

Dont believe that for one second, your kidding yourself on with that.

Its a bit like Wild having the World Open right down at the bottom of the pile and continually criticising it and not seeing any positives in it.

We know yous dont like certain things but statements like the one i highlighted are taking things a bit far.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:so no Rob Walker who said he had ?

I had a feeling somebody did last year, and we were criticising him for it. Maybe I just had one two many beers one time, and dreamt it.

Rob Walker did commentary for 110sport short lived coverage of the qualifiers.

That must've been it. <laugh> I never watched that either. Bit new to live screening, outside of the BBC website. What was that like?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Rob Walkers at the darts the now, infact he may even miss the first day of The Masters cos of it.

What? That's one of the days I am going. :wild2: <laugh>

i heard the camp Scottish permatan guy with the specs masquerading as a comedian who was the MC the first Sunday of the World Open has got the gig to fill Walkers slot.............. :john:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Rob Walkers at the darts the now, infact he may even miss the first day of The Masters cos of it.

What? That's one of the days I am going. :wild2: <laugh>

i heard the camp Scottish permatan guy with the specs masquerading as a comedian who was the MC the first Sunday of the World Open has got the gig to fill Walkers slot.............. :john:

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

:bird:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Dont believe that for one second, your kidding yourself on with that.

Its a bit like Wild having the World Open right down at the bottom of the pile and continually criticising it and not seeing any positives in it.

We know yous dont like certain things but statements like the one i highlighted are taking things a bit far.

Not really, like I say it's just personal opinion. People find different things interesting. I just can't find the PL interesting. At all. Maybe I'd disagree if I'd been forced to watch some Peter Ebdon vs Rory McLeod match at Telford, <laugh> But to be honest even the Robertson vs McLeod snorefest was more interesting to me then anything Premier League.

Feel free to disagree, like Monique said we all like different things. And the PL does have positives. It attracts a lot of fans to snooker, it goes all over the country to places that rankers don't. I'm not attacking it, per se. I'm just saying, personally, I don't see it as very exciting. Okay to dip in and out of, but that's it.

Postby Wildey

im with you snookerfan

id much rather a slow best of 17 than a fast PL Match .

PL Matches lacking what makes snooker great the safeties are basic up and down no thought goes in to shots.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:im with you snookerfan

PL Matches lacking what makes snooker great the safeties are basic up and down no thought goes in to shots.

did you not see the classic 6th frame in the Murphy - Selby PL game, best safety battle / tactical frame of 2010 IMO.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:im with you snookerfan

did you not see the classic 6th frame in the Murphy - Selby PL game, best safety battle / tactical frame of 2010 IMO.

thats 1 frame in 5 years whoooppeeeee doooooooooooo

Postby Bourne

Why should there be ? And don't say because they have it in the PL, then you can just say why don't they do BO6 in CL, with crowds, with Goldstein interviewing every player etc etc ... Hearn isn't so retarded to shove the rubbish clock up our noses to the point of nauseum.

Postby SnookerFan

LeBourne wrote:Why should there be ? And don't say because they have it in the PL, then you can just say why don't they do BO6 in CL, with crowds, with Goldstein interviewing every player etc etc ... Hearn isn't so retarded to shove the rubbish clock up our noses to the point of nauseum.

Lets hope not anyway. <laugh>

Postby Monique

The shot-clock in PL was introduced only as an attempt to control the matches length for broadcasting purposes, not for any other reason. There is no need for that here, so it isn't used. It's a total misconception that BH introduced the shot-clock to "speed things up".