Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins

Postby Sickpotter

Sonny wrote:Who would you fancy your chances against sickpotter if you had to name a player?

Depends on the game........... :chin:

A single frame.....I'll play anyone but the stakes would vary depending on who my opponent is ;) I'd be willing to have a go with Ronnie at something simple like 20 a frame and quit if I got $500 down. Money well spent and it wouldn't be quick, I will pick some frames off him :idea:

Really it depends on my playing regularly. If I get 10-15hrs of good practice/play per week I'd step out and play anyone short matches like best of 5 or 7. Matches like that for 100-200 against a tough player are great motivators for me. I raise my game, it brings that extra level of focus that I can't find otherwise these days.

Money's a good motivator for a lot of people but for me it's not just money that I need to get into it, I've got to be playing against someone who's top notch. For those games playing the better player and not embarassing myself motivates me more than money could.

I'd gladly lose a few hundred to play a match against Ronnie, John, Stephen, etc. it'd be worth it no matter what the outcome :idea:

Now.....who do I like my chances against inside the top 16 :chin: .......I'd think I'd go with......nope, can't do it :sad: . I don't play enough these days to have the arrogance necessary to like my chances against any top 16 player :bowdown:

Maybe 6 red matches. I'd be a coin flip fav against a top player, you don't have to sustain your focus as long so it'd be my best odds these days :mood:

Postby GJ

ROBBO has worked out maguire time to do the same with murphy

Postby Eirebilly

The same questions and arguements could be made about Williams and Ronnie to be honest. Ronnie is the best cueman i have seen but nowhere near the best snooker player due to his lack of commitment and mental strength.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:There's not enough needle between Higgins and O'Sullivan to make it a classic rivalry.

Very true. Selby v Ronnie or Murphy v Ronnie is much more interesting imo.

Back in the day when Ronnie run his mouth on Hendry and Williams those matches also had extra spice.

Postby gallantrabbit

You still doing the rounds Seifer? Under a new guise?
I've nothing against either player on the table, but if JH wins another world before Ronnie he will be seen as the greater player like it or not.
One little point for your stats. Mark Williams proved last week how unimportant it is to have piles of centuries. Great for fans of course, but not a major point in deciding the better player.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I'd fancy my chances against Joe Delaney at the Crucible <laugh>

God, I was at that match. With Matthew Stevens, right? At least he had a good day out. Everybody he'd ever met came to support him. 60% of the crowd for the match where his friends, family, local librarians etc...

Postby Casey

<laugh>

Talk about moving the goalposts, he says he will NEVER return. Now he lets on he said he wouldn't come back permanently, just every now and again :emu: :redneck: :santa:

I guess some people can't except that Higgins is closing the gap :)

World titles = the measure of a players greatness

Higgin & Ronnie turned pro at the same time. If Higgins wins more World's...Ronnie GOAT = <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:<laugh>

Talk about moving the goalposts, he says he will NEVER return. Now he lets on he said he wouldn't come back permanently, just every now and again :emu: :redneck: :santa:

I guess some people can't except that Higgins is closing the gap :)

World titles = the measure of a players greatness

Higgin & Ronnie turned pro at the same time. If Higgins wins more World's...Ronnie GOAT = <laugh>

rofl

All of his useful imput has now been deleted. Does he not realise that the thread where he said; "You'll never see me on here again!" is now used to dump crap posts into in he Junkyard? It's still there for all to see.

I've just had an interested look to see if break-off.co.uk is still operating, it sort of is, but redirected me to rocketronnie.net. Same forum, but has rebranded itself as Ronnie O'Sullivan fan site. Just for those of you who are interested in visiting. <ok>

Postby Roland

It's quite funny reading this, like gallant has an invisible friend or something. I can tell from the responses what must've gone on. My favourite line is this one:

One little point for your stats. Mark Williams proved last week how unimportant it is to have piles of centuries.

:santa:

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It's quite funny reading this, like gallant has an invisible friend or something. I can tell from the responses what must've gone on. My favourite line is this one:

One little point for your stats. Mark Williams proved last week how unimportant it is to have piles of centuries.

:santa:

Yeah, Seifer came on under a different user name and started twattling on. Saying he'd read on this forum Higgins is getting closer to overtaking Ronnie as the greatest player and had to step in to challenge such idiocy. <doh> Just proves his being reading this forum he keeps referring to as monkey crap. The best part was when he said we'd never get more then the usual clique of snooker fans, because we were all such idiots. :roll:

And a close second was when he starting comparins UK Championship and Master Championship wins of the two players. This from the guy who, when somebody points out Hendry won more UK Championships, produces every statistic/argument/anything else he can to show Hendry won in a weaker era. Seifer has an outstanding ability to think stastics show irrefutable proof, which need no analysis, unless they disagree with what he believes. In which case analysis is essential.

Postby Noel

ethinks you guys are mistaking the weathervane for the wind.
The number of titles. The rankers won. The tons. The maxes. The prize money totals. They all count for something... but not everything.
What is "everything" is how those figures were achieved. The numbers do not reflect the artistry, the creativity and brilliance of performance. This is why Alex and Jimmy are so important to snooker.
I rename "GOAT" - "GOTT" (Greatest of That Time) and "GOMT" (Greatest of My Time).
Who has raised the bar so high they been the vital, essential exponent of snooker to a generation of fans,
and perhaps, without whom our sport might not exist as we know it?

I nominate as GOTT... Joe Davis
I nominate as GOMT... Ronnie O'Sullivan

=o)

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:There's not enough needle between Higgins and O'Sullivan to make it a classic rivalry.

I disagree. If I wanted to watch people argue I'd watch a soap opera. I watch snooker to see skill, drama and tension. This is almost guaranteed when you watch Higgins vs O'Sullivan. No match, in my opinion, proves that snooker isn't boring more consitently then this match. 100% guaranteed to be an amazing match.

Personally, I don't want to see needle. I find that awfully boring. People say Ronnie and Selby is more interesting because there is more needle. But why do I care if there is needle, that's just two people not getting on. I can get that in almost any television show these days.

Postby Monique

Not to mention there isn't really any "needle" off the table. They are quite different persons and both tend to keep themselves to themselves in general, Mark more so than Ronnie BTW, but I've been with both in numerous exos in Europe and there is absolutely nothing particularly tense between the two away from the table. At the table it's different.
If you really want "needle" between two players get McCulloch and Dott ... :scared:

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:Not to mention there isn't really any "needle" off the table. They are quite different persons and both tend to keep themselves to themselves in general, Mark more so than Ronnie BTW, but I've been with both in numerous exos in Europe and there is absolutely nothing particularly tense between the two away from the table. At the table it's different.
If you really want "needle" between two players get McCulloch and Dott ... :scared:

robbo and murphy <cool>

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:If you really want "needle" between two players get McCulloch and Dott ...

Yeah, I've heard about that one... my, you wouldn't pick that one out, would you?

Postby Casey

thetubberlad wrote:
Monique wrote:If you really want "needle" between two players get McCulloch and Dott ...

Yeah, I've heard about that one... my, you wouldn't pick that one out, would you?

What’s the gripe between these two?

Postby GJ

case_master wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

i think dott was bitter that ian beat him in the worlds round 1 in 07

Dott said ian won because of slow play tactics

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

I've not heard this before :chin: :| :chin: :|

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

Bloody hell, that was rich, coming a year after Dott won the world title in that match.