Post a reply

Re: Favourite Player and Why?

Postby Tubberlad

John, you're spot on with Doherty. I remember the first time I met him was in Killarney, 2003 pro-am if memory serves me correct. Very obliging fellow, was a bit shy asking for an autograph being only around 9 or 10, he was very understanding and very obliging. Bless him, as my mother would say :)

Postby Tubberlad

I'm going to side with Bourne on this. I don't think Ding lacks a passion for the game at all. I just think he's a very shy chap, a nervous sort of bloke. Mentally, he's not exactly a rock, and I think heavy losses will get him down more than others, who will bounce back. I think the win over Liang at the Crucible in 2009 has put him back on the right path at least though.

Postby Smart

randam05 wrote:Ken Doherty is a great player.. see this video of krafty ken enjoying the sunshine! makes me laugh take a look at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIyMavh141U

Tell us what ya think of the video and him as a player. Great guy.. :)

Ken is a great guy - seen him a couple of times at qualifiers, he is happy to chat, happy to give an autograph. He was there watching Zhanger beat Waldo <ok>

Great car he has there ......is it a Porsche as I am not up with cars. :chin:

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I'm going to side with Bourne on this. I don't think Ding lacks a passion for the game at all. I just think he's a very shy chap, a nervous sort of bloke. Mentally, he's not exactly a rock, and I think heavy losses will get him down more than others, who will bounce back. I think the win over Liang at the Crucible in 2009 has put him back on the right path at least though.

its not sides its a different angle on things whos to say what goes on in his mind whos to say why hes not bothered about the PTC its not a criticism its another Angle on what it could be.

Playing Pro Snooker out of china is hard work who can really blame him.

Postby mediter

Surely every top-16 player is exceptionally good snooker player. But my def 2 favourites are O´Sullivan and Ebdon. O´Sullivan because of his out of this planet break-building genius. And Ebdon because he´s Ebdon. His top game is absolutely brilliant and he´s a such a shot maker. But he has his dark side, I admit that....

Postby Roland

Ding was smiling a lot last season which suggests he was enjoying his snooker. And Doherty is an absolute legend, one of the finest players of all time.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Ding was smiling a lot last season which suggests he was enjoying his snooker. And Doherty is an absolute legend, one of the finest players of all time.

he might have had wind <laugh>

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Ding was smiling a lot last season which suggests he was enjoying his snooker. And Doherty is an absolute legend, one of the finest players of all time.

Well honestly I hope I'm wrong because otherwise it's sad for the lad. Maybe I'm too much under my last impressions of him at the Crucible. The chinese media put him under a lot of pressure.

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:

Do you smile when you've got wind?

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

Well honestly I hope I'm wrong because otherwise it's sad for the lad. Maybe I'm too much under my last impressions of him at the Crucible. The chinese media put him under a lot of pressure.

i personally think its a fair assessment mon that doesn't mean your right but equally you saw him first hand the last time he played pro snooker.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Do you smile when you've got wind?

rofl

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:

Funniest thing you've ever said wild! Props!

[ babies with gas look like they're smiling ]

=o)

Noel

Postby The Cueist

Ding lacks passion, :huh2:

What a load of old cobblers. :emu:

I cant have any of that,And you can speculate all you like.

He has been trying his heart out during the last 12 months and has done his utmost to acheive in the tournaments he has been competing in.

I think the previous few seasons he had battle scars,ie,The masters thrashing by ROS didnt do him many favours but he must have heart in the game to be carrying on and you have to be motivated in every match you play in this day and age as the players are so good .

The tables they are playing on are like a sheet of ice the cloth is so thin.

I will say he can get non-chalant when a move goes wrong and he loses a frame and he shows body language and negative reaction in his eyes.This is only from time to time

Other than that if he keeps up the good work he should reap his rewards with big tournament wins like the World Champs,He is more than capable of achieving it in my humble opinion. <ok> <ok>

Other

Postby Monique

I never suggested that Ding was not trying; he certainly does very hard. All I said is that he came across to me as not being happy within himself. That's what I was feeling when watching him close-up in Sheffield and I was reflecting on the possible reasons for this. I might be wrong of course.
Let's just add that Shaun Murphy must have been feeling something similaire because he served the Chinese media a proper telling off about the unfair pressure they were putting on Ding and that was just after their round 2 match at the WC.

Postby Bourne

Do you think they'll be the same to Liang in years to come or will they learn their lesson ?

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:I never suggested that Ding was not trying; he certainly does very hard. All I said is that he came across to me as not being happy within himself. That's what I was feeling when watching him close-up in Sheffield and I was reflecting on the possible reasons for this. I might be wrong of course.
Let's just add that Shaun Murphy must have been feeling something similaire because he served the Chinese media a proper telling off about the unfair pressure they were putting on Ding and that was just after their round 2 match at the WC.

Monique - he was affected by the disaster in China at the time of the World Champs......... I think Ding is quite misunderstood a lot of the time. <ok>

Postby Monique

It's hard to tell about Liang but he is a different character entirely, much more extravert and, IMO, better equipped to deal with social pressure. Again only m'y feelings.

Postby paperbackwriter

I think they might be a little easier on Liang thanks to Ding being still around (and perhaps others coming too), but not just because it can be better for his career- I guess putting someone under pressure is not something media care about.
As for Ding, talented people who don't always seem comfortable with what they do (or even with themselves) are sometimes most spectacular achievers. Having some doubts and discrepancies to resolve on the way to success, as painful as it may be, has to be better than thoughtlessly (which often means happily too) taking everything as it is (not a sign of dedication at all). And it's not that bad anyway, Ding seems to enjoy playing quite often too... though it may be false impression.

Postby jadechelsea

players i like and dont like and who i dont mind in the top 16

1.john higgins-like
2.ronnie o`sullivan-like
3.neil roberston-like
4.ali carter-dont mind
5.stephen maguire-dont like
6.mark willams-like
7.ding junhui-dont like
8.mark selby-like
9.shaun murphy-like
10.mark allen-like
11.ryan day-dont like
12.stephen hendry-dont mind
13.marco fu-dont mind
14.graeme dott-dont like
15.jamie cope-like
16.mark king-like

Postby jadechelsea

i dont like ding becouse his personality is boring and he never seems to enjoy his self but i like to warch him break build and i just find mags boring.

Postby Witz78

.john higgins-DONT like
2.ronnie o`sullivan - Like a lot
3.neil roberston-neutral
4.ali carter-DONT like
5.stephen maguire-dont mind
6.mark willams-neutral, find him slightly boring as a person, if it was on play alone id like him
7.ding junhui-neutral
8.mark selby-like (apart from when he starts his nonsense against Ronnie)
9.shaun murphy-DONT like, hes good value to watch though, ill give him that.
10.mark allen-dont mind
11.ryan day-DONT like
12.stephen hendry- DONT like
13.marco fu- DONT like
14.graeme dott- DONT like
15.jamie cope-neutral
16.mark king-DONT like

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:.john higgins-DONT like
3.neil roberston-neutral
4.ali carter-DONT like
6.mark willams-neutral, find him slightly boring as a person, if it was on play alone id like him
7.ding junhui-neutral
10.mark allen-dont mind
11.ryan day-DONT like
13.marco fu- DONT like
15.jamie cope-neutral
16.mark king-DONT like

Neutral on Robbo, how come? Also what have you against Fu?

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:.john higgins-DONT like
3.neil roberston-neutral
4.ali carter-DONT like
7.ding junhui-neutral
10.mark allen-dont mind
11.ryan day-DONT like
13.marco fu- DONT like
15.jamie cope-neutral
16.mark king-DONT like

Neutral on Robbo, how come? Also what have you against Fu?

Robbos a good asset for the game of snooker to have, but theres just not a likeability factor about the guy hence im undecided.

I find Fu boring as a person and if i was a fan id be very annoyed at his inconsistency, also though not a reason for my choice, but he bust my £500 accumulator in Sheffield this year :grrr:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:witz - you have a lot of DONT LIKE in your list. <ok>

So you are generally a HATER. :redneck:

im not a HATER but im not going to lie and kid on im a fan of someone if i aint. Maybe im sick of the sight of a lot of these top 16 players and yearn for the time in the future when rolling rankings fully take effect and we see the young creme de la creme rise to the top.

Plenty of guys outwith the top 16 who i like.

Wenbo
Walden
Ebdon
Trump
S.Davis
Gould
Dale
Swail
McCulloch
Drago
Haneveer
J.White