Post a reply

Re: Favourite Player and Why?

Postby SnookerFan

A bit behind the times with this;

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan - Loathe him
2. Stephen Maguire - Not really, bit boring
3. Shaun Murphy - I like watching him play, but I can see why everyone hates him
4. John Higgins - He remains one of my favourite players, but I will revise that if he gets found guilty.
5. Allister Carter - Dislike, boring
6. Ryan Day - Too non descript to have an opinion on
7. Mark Selby - Like
8. Marco Fu - Like
9. Neil Robertson - Like
10. Stephen Hendry - Like
11. Mark Allen - He's okay, but something about him irritates me a bit. Can't put my finger on it.
12. Joe Perry - Take him or leave him
13. Ding Junhui - Like
14. Peter Ebdon - Quite a nice guy, but his slow play makes you change to the other table whenever possible.
15. Mark Williams - Like
16. Mark King - Dislike. A thug.

Postby Monique

Ok, let's go also

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan - my favourite, an artist (and for all his troubles, a more than decent person when you come to know him)
2. Stephen Maguire - Not really. Too big headed at times, but it might be a facade.
3. Shaun Murphy - I like watching him play, but I don't like him
4. John Higgins - I don't know anymore.
5. Allister Carter - Like him as a person, fails to captivate me as a player.
6. Ryan Day - Nice guy, but somehow anxiety cripples his game.
7. Mark Selby - Interesting. As a player and as a person but I struggle to like him. He's a strange one.
8. Marco Fu - Can't read him...
9. Neil Robertson - rather like him but ... hum... uncouth ;)
10. Stephen Hendry - admire him for his achievements but don't like him too much as a person.
11. Mark Allen - good player; pass about the person...
12. Joe Perry - Like him, he's a lot of fun off the table.
13. Ding Junhui - Like his game, can't read the person
14. Peter Ebdon - Dislike. Strongly.
15. Mark Williams - Like, can be pigheaded ... but like. Wicked sense of humour.
16. Mark King - rather like him. Lot's of fun off the table.

others I like: Dom Dale, Martin Gould, Stuart Bingham, Ricky Walden, Steve Davis.
others I don't like: Jimmy Michie, John Parrott, Matthew Stevens, Matthew Selt.

Postby Wildey

unbelievable im also behind the times on this but here goes TOP 16 ONLY

1.Ronnie O'Sullivan - Like him a lot before i came online and stil do but some behaviour from some fans of his made me say things i never wanted to
2. Stephen Maguire - officially in my opinion the worst player ever to reach no 2 in the rankings
3. Shaun Murphy - he comes over as a bit of a plum at times but i enjoy watching him play
4. John Higgins - never been a massive fan of his as a player hes a throw back to steve davis and hated him in my childhood but i admire john as a player.
5. Allister Carter - i like watching him break-build but has the personality of a wet weekend.
6. Ryan Day - similar to carter but he lacks real bottle to really be on top of the sport in my opinion
7. Mark Selby - Like his game a lot despite the criticism he has from some clueless fans online he is a atacking player but he takes his time over crucial shots unlike some.
8. Marco Fu -love him break-build but far to often his form dips and he gets in a rut and negative
9. Neil Robertson - Like his play and similar to Selby in a lot of respect and his safety game has improved beyond recognition from the guy that won the GP in 2006.
10. Stephen Hendry - Like him but love his atetute no matter how bad he plays no matter he stil takes on the positive shot its his downfall and i wish he didnt but you got to admire and respect him for never compromising his principles.
11. Mark Allen -again love watching him play very similar to Alex Higgins in temperament and a showman and a character.
12. Joe Perry - not a opinion on him really
13. Ding Junhui - Like ding the best breakbuilder after Ronnie in todays game great pack splitter and i think his game is improving now he has maturity a real force over the next decade
14. Peter Ebdon -not a fan of his game but having said that when he played ronnie in that infamous 2005 unravellings that showed the best of ebdon where playing isnt the be all and end all but the mind games i love that about him.
15. Mark Williams - if i was a pro this is the guy id like to play like hes so horisontal nothing worries him and a great potter. like him a lot.
16. Mark King -gets a lot of stick but i enjoy watching him play not a great player but he makes the most out of what he has.

current top 16 additions

Greame Dott - what a battler he is people talk about mark williams getting back in the top 16 after 1 season out but so has greame after all the depression and stuff hes had going on to do that speaks volumes about the character of him
Liang Wenbo- i had my doubts about him and still do but he should be kicking on from here as a top 16 player lets hope he does i like watching him play.

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:Ok, let's go also

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan - my favourite, an artist (and for all his troubles, a more than decent person when you come to know him)
2. Stephen Maguire - Not really. Too big headed at times, but it might be a facade.
3. Shaun Murphy - I like watching him play, but I don't like him
4. John Higgins - I don't know anymore.
5. Allister Carter - Like him as a person, fails to captivate me as a player.
6. Ryan Day - Nice guy, but somehow anxiety cripples his game.
7. Mark Selby - Interesting. As a player and as a person but I struggle to like him. He's a strange one.
8. Marco Fu - Can't read him...
9. Neil Robertson - rather like him but ... hum... uncouth ;)
10. Stephen Hendry - admire him for his achievements but don't like him too much as a person.
11. Mark Allen - good player; pass about the person...
12. Joe Perry - Like him, he's a lot of fun off the table.
13. Ding Junhui - Like his game, can't read the person
14. Peter Ebdon - Dislike. Strongly.
15. Mark Williams - Like, can be pigheaded ... but like. Wicked sense of humour.
16. Mark King - rather like him. Lot's of fun off the table.

others I like: Dom Dale, Martin Gould, Stuart Bingham, Ricky Walden, Steve Davis.
others I don't like: Jimmy Michie, John Parrott, Matthew Stevens, Matthew Selt.

brilliant reading this, from someone actually on the circuit "up close and personal" to have a proper informed opinion. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

thought i have a go

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan - my Joint favourite, enjoy his fast play and great snooker brain <ok>
2. Stephen Maguire - I like watching him play when on top form, but doesnt happen very much
3. Shaun Murphy - perfect cue action, good potter, just dont like him personally
4. John Higgins - well 2 months ago i would say an ultimate snooker player who has it all his best is better than anyone elses, at the moment not so sure
5. Allister Carter - good player with good technique, just bottles against some other players
6. Ryan Day - take him or leave him really
7. Mark Selby - don't like him one bit, a show off over cocky, doesn't show oppnants any respect, his play is boring and his mind games are questionable
8. Marco Fu - strange, good one minute poor a next
9. Neil Robertson - Joint Fave player, brilliant potting and temperment
10. Stephen Hendry - greatest ever player, but do i like him? not really
11. Mark Allen - growing on me, see where next season goes
12. Joe Perry - seems a real nice person, would make a nice friend to have. not bad player
13. Ding Junhui - at first questioned his tempement, sometimes i still do. but i think this will be his season. bookmark me as predicting him to be 2011 world champion
14. Peter Ebdon - same as mark selby
15. Mark Williams - didn't use to like, but now do. great potter well best ever.
16. Mark King - take him or leave him

Postby randam05

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan - Just brilliant...fantastic for the game.
2. Stephen Maguire - Booooring, annoying but a nice man.
3. Shaun Murphy - What can i say... a fantastic man, the best cueist and an all round great, cant see peoples dislike for him?
4. John Higgins - Probably the best player and a great man.
5. Allister Carter - Ok boring yh.
6. Ryan Day - Absoloutley not, crap player..should have done more.
7. Mark Selby - Yes, love his style of play and good for the game cause of his humour.
8. Marco Fu - Hes alright.
9. Neil Robertson - Yes my fav player! exciting/emotional/flamboyant/excellent player/interesting.
10. Stephen Hendry - The greatest player but I dislike.
11. Mark Allen - Good to watch. Wish he had a better all round game.
12. Joe Perry - .............
13. Ding Junhui - Good player but boring and cant stand his pulsing eye.
14. Peter Ebdon - Yup very interesting and flamboyant, what a character and so determined.
15. Mark Williams - Yes superb player, so relaxed and easy to watch. Very good player.
16. Mark King - Not bad.

Other favourites:

Ken Doherty - Nobody can dislike surely?
Dominic Dale - complete nutter but one of my favourites and a good player but maybe the most incosistent?
Joe swail - Another favourite, just an amazing man.
Anthony Hamilton - Interesting style and a character. One of me favourites.
Steve Davis - Legend
Tony Drago - Quick, exciting and a crowd favourite.
Judd Trump - Can be good to watch, shame he doesnt do anything..is he vanishing?

Postby gallantrabbit

Forever Jimmy. Is more frustrating to watch nowadays, but I've loved watching him play for many years. Jim was the whole package, the artful dodger but never the superstar, the rock and roll of snooker but as down to earth as they come, a genius on the table and an absolute sportsman which just added to the appeal. I still wish he'd temper his game on a push back to the top 32 but I don't suppose he ever will.

Special mentions for Ronnie who is sublime to watch and Alex Higgins who provided some of my most special moments watching snooker. Couldn't give thruppence for either off the table, but on it they've brought me a lot of pleasure.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:ramdam how can Day be a crap player but should have done more? Done more what? Cooking?

i dont think hes a crap player but he just falls down and cant get over the line when it matters....im not just talking about winning tournaments but also in matches.

he really should be peaking now but hes falling backwards and not slowly its like a avalanche how far hes fallen down.

Postby Tubberlad

[quote="wildJONESEYE"]unbelievable im also behind the times on this but here goes TOP 16 ONLY

1.Ronnie O'Sullivan - One of my favourite players. I rate him as the most naturally gifted player of all time, and the man who has reached the highest leve of play.
2. Stephen Maguire - I used to rate him as the next best thing. I feel a bit silly now.
3. Shaun Murphy - He's a nice player. I don't like him at all as a person, but has a great cueing stance. Will he be World Champion again? I'm not sure.
4. John Higgins - A wonderful player, but I feel a little bit let down... whether it's right to or not
5. Allister Carter - A nice guy, albeit a bit dry. He's a nice little player, but is never going to reach the heights of other top player.s
6. Ryan Day - A decent player, lacks bottle, will never scale the heights
7. Mark Selby - Great personality, fantasctic player, will be a World Champion and more than once. Best shotmaker in the game.
8. Marco Fu - Good player, but could you honestly rate him much higher than that?
9. Neil Robertson - He's a fine player, a deserving World Champion, great potter and a man who should reach the top on more than one occasion. Not to mention, great for the game.
10. Stephen Hendry - The best player of all time, more bottle than anyone in the game's history, lovely attacking game. A success story, and a man I respect greatly.
11. Mark Allen - Great chatracter, great solid player with a strong future. He could be World Champion at some stage.
12. Joe Perry - Decent, not spectacular
13. Ding Junhui - The potential to be great, possibly lacks the bottle however. He is good enough to be a World Champion, no doubt.
14. Peter Ebdon - Underated. A man with great bottle, a quality player, more attacking than given credit for. A deserving former World Champion.
15. Mark Williams - Unrivaled potter, brilliant player.
16. Mark King - Reasonablr
17. Greame Dott - a fighter, an overacheiver, a man with great bottle. His battle with depression sums up his gritty, brilliant player.
18. Liang Wenbo - lovely little player, a lot of character, great attacking style. Will ultimately drop short.
19. Matthew Stevens - He was a fine, fine player, my favourite by a long way. Although a nice guy, he lacked the necessary bottle.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I've copied over tubbs list, read through them & the other comments but when reading through them, I found it quite theraputic so I thought I'd give it a go. Beats proof reading Business Case's this time of night anyway.

So....

1.Ronnie O'Sullivan - Hard to think of something to say that hasn't be said already. The best Snooker player that's ever set foot on this planet?
2. Stephen Maguire - Plays in a 'Grinder' fashion sort of way I find, but his game of late seems to have been found out.
3. Shaun Murphy - Always surprises me when he misses a ball with the cue action & presence around the table he's got. Must be between the ears.
4. John Higgins - Top Boy. I can only compare him with Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry & Steve Davis. Lets hope God is Good for him.
5. Allister Carter - He's never really come across to me as a player who wont miss at some stage. Love his cue action tho & bags of talent.
6. Ryan Day - If ever someone took the knocks too hard it is this man. Talk about lacking in self belief. Another player who shouldn't miss given the cue action he's got.
7. Mark Selby - An enigma. This fella is gonna' do things his way. Mighty fine player. The Only Way is UP.
8. Marco Fu - A great example of a person, in my book , who practice's so hard & gets the results from doing so.
9. Neil Robertson - Our World Champion. How this man does in the UK & The Masters is the key for me. That will tell us all a bit on how he is wearing his crown.
10. Stephen Hendry - The Great One. While I was watching him play one day, someone said to me, "Look at John smiling" & started to laugh. Top Man
11. Mark Allen - He comes across as tho he wants a peice of the action.
12. Joe Perry - He's surprised me , as I always feel when I'm watching him play that he's punching above his weight , tho I don't mean this in a derogatory way. He always reminds me of Gary Neville, the Man Utd player, because he's someone, I feel, that has done extraordinary well, with an average amont of talent that he's nurtured very well & got the most out of.
13. Ding Junhui - How old is he? Blows to much Hot & Cold for me. Needs to introduce consistency into his game
14. Peter Ebdon - What I liked about Peter Ebdon winning the World Championship, was that people he knew who backed him at 33's to win (as I did), he gave them 50's. Born Winner, could end up losing everything if he doesnt watch himself. Hopefully getting married again will settle the boy.
15. Mark Williams - This fella is out of Ronnie's stable when it comes to talking about natural talent. Reached his pinnacles, relaxed too much, now it looks like the hunger is back.
16. Mark King - Horrible thing to say, but Mark must feel like he's making up the numbers. If only he had that little bit more luck, he could show us how good he is.
17. Greame Dott - Welcome Back wee man. Lovely to see, kick on BIG GUY.
18. Liang Wenbo - Hold onto your hats. If ever a time a Manager of a player should have hired stone wall money players to practice against someone, so that they could introduce patience into his game, this is it. We should have Snooker sparring partners just the same way Boxers do. Experience & how quick he learns will be the key to his success.
19. Matthew Stevens - Matthew Stevens. How often Matthew I backed you to win only to come up short. Quality player, Quality touch, how come Mathew, How come? Nothing a lot of hard work won't sort out.

Postby The Cueist

Well put JFLT. <ok>

Ding is my favourite player but he does blow hot and cold yet he has superb potting and exquisite positional play on a good week.

A future World Champion if he can keep his form for two weeks some time soon.

Wenbo has more nervous energy than most players and must learn to take his time at the table and think things through,His kamakaze shot selection does not help him in a lot of frames.

He should improve with age.

:) Mark King has always been there or thereabouts and is a very nice guy with a good game and he knows how to play some good stuff from time to time.

I hope he can hold himself together this season and win a tournament as the guy has worked hard for years now.

I still think the best all round player when in form is John Higgins and i am not put off by recent events,I know JH would never rig a frame in a WSA event.

I hope he has the front to come back and show us these qualitys,Although in my experience of life what has gone on could be phsychologically damaging to him and the crowd may turn on him ,Though i genuinely hope they show some tolerance towards him and give him a little bit of credit for some of the great stuff he is capable of.

I say we all make bad moves from time to time.Chin up John. <ok> <ok>

What you have wrote about the others john i couldnt put better myself. <ok>

Postby Roland

OK I'll give it a go:

1.Ronnie O'Sullivan - Genius. Once in a lifetime talent and I mean I don't ever expect to witness a bigger snooker talent in the rest of my life. Inconsistency is a problem, but it's a joy to watch him whatever mood he's in because he has the ability to express himself through his snooker as if it were an art form. You know how he's feeling just by watching his shots. When on song, he's unplayable. He can stay in the top 8 until he's 50 if that's what he wants. But that's a long way off yet, and I have an eerie feeling that his career will be cut short before then.

2. Stephen Maguire - Frustrating. Has all the talent but puts too much pressure on himself. He is a quality player but an underachiever. I don't think he will ever win the big one, but he'll be around for a few years yet. Top 30 of all time material.

3. Shaun Murphy - Bundles of self belief which is as much his downfall as it is his main strength. He thinks can do anything on the table and doesn't seem to factor in the match scenario in his play. As with Mags, he'll be around for a long time yet and will have more glory, but his game is flawed but it takes a top player to exploit those flaws. Main flaw is cannon play.

4. John Higgins - One of the best players of all time. I really warmed to him over the last 4 or 5 seasons and even though I was supporting Cope and Selby in 2009, I had to :bowdown: to Higgins with the way he polished off those matches. He is the Rolls Royce of snooker players.

5. Allister Carter - I've followed him since the Players of Distinction and it's only recently that I've warmed to him. I felt he was lucky to come up against Joe Swail in the final of his only ranking win (Swail had about 200 semi-finals before finally reaching a final and that seemed to be enough for him) but then he is definitely a player worthy of being a multi ranking event winner. He is fluent and a great break builder, but there's not much more to his game than that, no hidden depths. He tries very hard and gets down on himself when things aren't going his way. We all do it, but if he kept his frustration in check more often then he would fare better. He is suspect under the cosh against big time players in big matches, but that doesn't mean he's a bottler, more a relative bottler. If he was 17-17 in the World Final and was first in the balls with a great chance, I wouldn't fancy him to kill it off, put it that way.

6. Ryan Day - When I saw Day in his Crucible debut I thought he was a future World Champion. He strikes the ball with such confidence, hits them hard and with authority. But unfortunately his game doesn't have the necessary depth to take him all the way and recently he's suffered a dip in form. I feel he won't get a higher rank than he's already achieved, but he will have his Day and win a ranker at some point. Maybe a 2 time ranking event winner at the end of his career, but he'll need help against the final opponent i.e. come up against a top 4 player in top form and he's a big outsider.

7. Mark Selby - Showed his class by reaching a ranking event final when he was 19 with a dodgy cue action. Since then he's gone from strength to strength and is now one of the best players in the world. His snooker is solid, and although a late developer, he has the game to play at the top until he is in his 40s. A class act.

8. Marco Fu - Quietly goes about his business. Was very impressive in beating O'Sullivan to win his 2nd Grand Prix title. Not the most enthralling player to watch, but I've seen him live I have been struck with how damn fine his touch is. This man can judge distance to the millimeter and his safety play is right up there with the very best. Close control means he scores heavy and on his day is capable of beating anyone. Maybe playing most of his snooker on the other side of the world to his home has affected his title haul over his career. A name to avoid in the draw for other players, but when he's not on song is capable of truely awful performances.

9. Neil Robertson - Definitely a worthy World Champion and good for the game that he achieved that. I'm still to be convinced that he is better than Selby, but we have been robbed of clashes so hopefully semis and finals between these two will come thick and fast over the next few seasons. Robbo isn't as good a potter as Mark Williams in his prime, but he's as close as anyone. He has bottle, and he has raw talent. I remember Shaun Murphy remarking once (possibly after his 2005 World title) that he always seemed to lose to Robbo even though he couldn't understand why this player gave him particular difficulties. At that time, Robbo looked like he would help fill out the lower places of the top 16 at best, but since then he's got his nut down and practiced to be as good as he can be. The fact he only took up the game when he was 15 speaks volumes for his natural talent. He will win more titles for sure. But strange as it may seem and as unpopular as it may come across, I feel the Grand Prix of last season was the only time I've seen him play tournament winning snooker in the way he beat the current best player John Higgins, and even that required a bit of luck at the end. He is World Champion, and that will give him confidence because he has now been there and done that so I expect more titles and I expect wins against decent opposition to win those titles.

10. Stephen Hendry - Best player of all time because of his bottle, temperament and break building. Only Ronnie can play more perfect snooker. He's obviously on the wane and he hates losing so I don't expect him to carry on for much longer. I'm not surprised he hasn't entered many PTC events. I don't believe it's down to any anti-Hearn feeling, I think it's because he's stood at the top of the mountain for so long, that to battle it out in the swamps just isn't his style. He can only get himself up for the majors these days, and long may it continue although in order to get into the field of the majors, he needs to buckle down and keep those ranking points topped up. And therein lies the problem. I was very impressed he made the effort to attend Alex Higgins' funeral. That should say something about the man.

11. Mark Allen - Very talented and plays an entertaining street fighter style of snooker. He's not scared to play the big names and take them on at their own game. His win over Ronnie at the 2009 Worlds was a classic. He beat Ronnie fair and square and it's a credit to him the way he played. The best is yet to come for Allen, but he has some tough opponents to beat if he's to win any biggies. His match against Dott at this years Worlds has been bizarrely all but forgotten since it happened. It was a great match, both players were fluent and knocking in big breaks and it was very high quality. That is the last televised match Allen played, and Dott proved in his semi that he was playing well enough to be a double World Champion this year. This should put Allens performance into perspective. He is a top 8 player without a doubt.

12. Joe Perry - A deceptively fluent and talented player. When he got into the top 16 first time I admit I'd never seen him play and wondered what he had about him. The answer came in the 2008 World quarter-final against the much fancied Maguire. Perry seemed to get in first with a 50+ break in most frames in the final session, and even though Mags hit back to nick a few, Perry just picked himself up and did the same in the next frame, and the next, and the next, and before long Maguire had punched himself out with all the fightbacks he was asked to do. I have noticed how Perry seems to break down a lot before frame ball since then, but he scores quickly and fluently, and if you get a 50 start against players with 67 left on the table on a regular basis, you'll beat the vast majority of players. Maybe this is why he's never been top 10, but he's dangerous on his day and he sure didn't disgrace himself when he was the surprise winner of the Championship League a couple of seasons ago to play in the Premier League.

13. Ding Junhui - are there many more to go? Ding is quality. He has demons though. If he can shake off the demons he can beat anybody. I expected him to be dominating right now given how he played from the 2005 China Open until the Masters final against Ronnie. But thankfully he's on his way back and was one of the stand out players of last season. He has lost his mistique though which he had when he first burst onto the scene. His opponents now know how to judge his body language, whereas before he looked frighteningly cool. Hopefully he can get this factor back, but it's a big ask.

14. Peter Ebdon - Very talented player. A winner. A thoroughbred and a very unorthodox shot selection. Difficult to watch at times but you can't say he doesn't try. He fully deserves to go down in history as a World Champion.

15. Mark Williams - At his peak was awesome. Became my favourite player after finally making the heartbreaking decision that supporting Jimmy White wasn't going to bring any joy and I needed someone else to keep my interest in snooker. Mark's style had me transfixed as soon as I head he had won the Welsh hardly making any 50 breaks. I wondered what it was about this player, so I studied him and studied him and then it clicked. He has a fantastic snooker brain. Such a great potter, he would take on a long one to get in, then keep potting them until he gradually ran more and more out of position, then he would use his brain to play the best shot given the score, usually to start to tie up the balls. Shots to nothing took on new meaning with MJW, he really knew how to play them. Tactical nous in abundance. As soon as the balls went scrappy there would only ever be one winner of that frame. He picked the balls off one by one, laying snookers when he couldn't pot any more and hardly ever lost a tactical battle. Add to that his repertoir of ridiculous exhibition shots once the break got to 80+ and you had a crowd favourite. Just a pity so many Jimmy fans couldn't see that Mark was his natural successor. It was a shocker when his form dipped, I was there to witness the first and it was painful - a 1st round exit to Fergal O'Brien in the 2003 UK when on a run of 48 successive first round wins. It's only really been last season that he seems to have got the hunger back and is back to tournament winning form. Ronnie is the only player who has his measure, and that's because unfortunately Marks game plays into Ronnie's hands because Ronnie loves playing fast fluent attacking players like Mark and it gets his tail up. I would love it if Mark won a 3rd World title and I wouldn't put it past him.

16. Mark King - Solid, lots of bottle and a good match player. Nothing spectacular and until fairly recently had a bizarre run of not reaching a quarter-final for a very long period, yet winning enough first round matches to remain in the top 16 for several seasons. I guess he's from the Mark Allen school of street fighter snooker, not scared of anyone but different to Allen, doesn't have the natural ability to climb any higher. This makes his achievement of being top 16 even more admirable though, because he's got the best out of his limited talent.

17. Greame Dott - Massively under rated. The way he beat Selby in this years World semi surely puts to bed any ridiculous notion that his 2006 World title was somehow a fluke. He is a fiesty competitor, and he is very talented and has the tactical game to take on and beat the very best on his day. It's really good to see him come out the other side from his recent problems, and he's got to be one of the favourites for every tournament this season given his form at the Crucible. Dotty has more titles in his locker, make no mistake.

18. Liang Wenbo - One of the most exciting players on tour today. He is the Kamikaze Kid, but don't be fooled. His shot selection may seem bizarre and out there, but there is definite method to his madness. Obviously the raw Liang Wenbo seen a couple of seasons ago needed honing, but suggestions he was playing the wrong shots too often and that he needed a proper coach pretty much annoyed me. I wanted him to be left to develop because he sees snooker in his own unique way and he's been a breath of fresh air to the game since he burst onto the scene. I love the way he eyes up a seemingly ridiculous shot, then takes a few deep breaths before committing 110% to the shot. It shows his nerve, the fact he would even take on such shots in the first place, let alone in a big match. The determination in his face as he's down on the shot - how can you not love that? He is a character and he will win a lot of events over the next few seasons, mark my words.

19. Matthew Stevens - Very talented but a wasted talent. It's been obvious to me for a number of years now that he is rubbish with his extended cue which he uses instead of a rest, and the same goes for his left hand. When he's on form he is very nice to watch, and the best I've ever seen him play paradoxically was in the same match that defined his career - the 2007 World quarter-final against Shaun Murphy. Steven raced to 12-7 and he looked awesome, but then the wheels came off and his nerve was displayed to the world. Murphy played very well obviously, but Stevens by all accounts did a massive bottle job and handed the victory to Murphy on a plate. He's never looked like the same player since, and although he should be a top 16 player I don't expect to see him much on television from here on in. It is a shame because he is so talented, but also it is his own fault because he is an idiot if he kids himself that using an extension or his left hand instead of the rest is a viable alternative. A real winner would have followed the lead of Bernhard Langer who went from the worst to the best putter on tour after recognising his problem and dealing with it. Whenever Stevens avoids the rest, he runs out of position. OK to the naked eye sometimes he still appears to land on the next ball, but the key thing is he is not exactly where he should have been, and from then on he's chasing. But that is his choice. He frustrates me and that's that.

20. Jamie Cope - Another player who frustrates me. Jesus this boy is talented. I mean SERIOUSLY talented. He could have the world at his feet if he had the snooker brain to match his talent. I'm still holding out that he will come good, but he needs to get his act together sharpish before the younger players overtake him. I don't know what his problem is, I've still not figured it out. He's not a bottler, he plays great under pressure. It sure aint his potting, he's amazing! But something in his head is stopping him from reaching the top. He should be contending for the big titles at this point in his career, but he's still struggling to make the top 16 and if the rumour I've heard is correct, he may not even play in Shanghai which would mean the first time he finally gets into the top 16, he could instantly drop out of it without playing a single match. But he should be top 8 and I'm watching him closely. A very exciting player to watch indeed.

Postby Monique

Some comments on Sonny's excellent (as always) post.

Ronnie: staying or leaving? it's not a question whether he "wants" or not. It's about how well he will be able to manage his fundamental contradiction; Clive put it perfectly in last June issue "He loves the game to bits and hates what the game does to him". Ronnie loves snooker with a passion and always wants to give his best, as close to perfection as can be done. Because he loves it so much, when he fails to achieve, by his own often unrealistic standards, he suffers deeply and gets depressed (his medical condition makes him extremely vulnerable to that) and that's hard to live through. But I know for sure that he he's scared of the day he will have to quit because he knows it's the only thing he can do, the only thing he's been trained to and he's put a hell of a lot efforts into honing his skills (like all pros BTW). It's been his life, and actually his job, since he's 10.

Ding: watching him I often ask myself "Does this man want to be there?" and my guts feelings is "No". Even over the last season - and he did very well - this feeling was still there. But just like Ronnie, he can do nothing else. Add to that that his father, his family have put tremendous efforts to support his career. He owes them and it's all important in Chinese society that he wont disappoint them. Similarly he's carrying the hopes and the pride of one the biggest nation on Earth. He's got little choice.

Cope: I'd rather say he's got loads of natural technical ability rather than talent. Because for me talent is the whole package and that includes a snooker brain ... Very frustrating indeed to be so technically gifted and lacking vision of the game.

Postby Wildey

Regarding Ding

his absence from PTC tells me your near the point with him the homesickness could be his undoing in the next 5 years.

people will argue but its only PTC but the question is does ding want to play or not ?

does he want to be full time or part time ?

i know its tough for overseas players thats fair enough so will he sustain a long career or go home.

Postby Tubberlad

Doherty is one of my favourites random, mainly as he was very much the flag bearer for many years in Ireland. As a player, he was very good in most departments, had no obvious weaknesses, and a very astute tactical game. Always liked watching him play, and left many great memories for me during his 2003 World Championship run. Stuff of legend.

thetubberlad wrote:Doherty is one of my favourites random, mainly as he was very much the flag bearer for many years in Ireland. As a player, he was very good in most departments, had no obvious weaknesses, and a very astute tactical game. Always liked watching him play, and left many great memories for me during his 2003 World Championship run. Stuff of legend.

Good role model him tubbs. I'll be honest, I was never a fan of his game to watch, he's more of a spolier in my opinion, but having said that (I hate that term, no idea why I'm using it now?), the guy reads the game so, so well. Lovely fella to boot. <ok>

Postby Wildey

when ken started out early 90s he was a attacking player and he took longer to hit it big than his compatriot at that time Alan Mcmanus but he learned very quickly and adapted his game to a more measured game and that when he began to have success.

player like cope might be advised to look at Ken Doherty and learn from him.

Postby Noel

Me. Because first and foremost, I love to play.
Favourite player to watch on TV... Ron.

=o)

Noel

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:Regarding Ding

his absence from PTC tells me your near the point with him the homesickness could be his undoing in the next 5 years.

people will argue but its only PTC but the question is does ding want to play or not ?

does he want to be full time or part time ?

i know its tough for overseas players thats fair enough so will he sustain a long career or go home.

He doesn't have to play the PTC, so he should make whatever decision necessary to give him the best chance possible of peaking for the big tournaments in the regular season, and if that means giving himself prolonged rest in the summer back home, then i'm all for it.

Postby Wildey

im going on moniques observation and she could be right.

Ding just hasn't got the passion for the game.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:im going on moniques observation and she could be right.

She could also be wrong. :emu: :redneck: If he didn't have the passion for the game, he wouldn't be playing at such a high level for the last 12 months so ... :chin:

Noel wrote:Me. Because first and foremost, I love to play.
Favourite player to watch on TV... Ron.
=o)

Noel

You obviously haven't seen me play then Noel :john:

Hi. :D

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

She could also be wrong. :emu: :redneck: If he didn't have the passion for the game, he wouldn't be playing at such a high level for the last 12 months so ... :chin:

he is talented and wants to pay back his parents faith in him that doesn't meen deep down hes enjoying what hes doing.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:

he is talented and wants to pay back his parents faith in him that doesn't meen deep down hes enjoying what hes doing.

Realistically, you can only speculate on that. I've not seen him enjoying his snooker so much for years that he was last season.