Post a reply

Re: The Royal Wedding v world champs SF's

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yes but I think it will be out of your control whether you watch the snooker or not. Royal weddings are the sort of thing that can stop the World Championships for a day.

i supose you do have a point there.

but the WORLD moves on will they pay snookerfan's cancellation fee ? will they hell.

Luckily, I haven't got semi tickets, just tickets to the final. But it'll still bugger it up if they make the event longer.

You're right though. Is Prince Williams going to be bothered if he's buggered up some snooker fan's plans? No. So, why should they care that he is getting married? I don't.

If we do get a day off on that day, and the snooker is still on, I'll find a way to watch it. Even if I have to travel up a few days early to Sheffield and sit outside The Crucible watching it on the big screen. (Which will probably still be showing The Royal Wedding. <doh> )

It staggers the mind what some people find interesting. The Royal bloody Wedding. Seriously. The monarch has feck all power now, they are just there as a figurehead because it brings in tourism. Madame Tussauds brings in tourists, but I don't want to spend all day watching two of the waxworks getting married,

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:I've not seen a single line written (other than here) about the Royal Wedding upsetting snooker fans.

A case of knowing your place I think.

How do you mean? Surely if we don't like something, we have the right to express that opinion? Whether it be written everywhere, or written nowhere? The amount that something is written about shouldn't dictate our opinion.

Like I said, if I am free to watch snooker on the television, and get a day off for whatever reason, I'm not going to moan. That's a good thing. If a televisual event I have zero interest in makes it impossible some of the most important snooker match of the year, I am going to be annoyed whether it's been written a lot or not.

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:Why does everyone care? I get a bloody day off for it! to watch the semis..im not complaining.

Because you won't watch the semis unless you are at The Crucible. What do you think the BBC will broadcast by priority? <doh>

Postby Casey

Haha, I won’t be getting it off because we work with American clients, but we do get tomorrow off for Thanksgiving :ahh:

Anyway hopefully the evening session will be on, Eurosport should show it and BBC red button.

Postby randam05

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:Why does everyone care? I get a bloody day off for it! to watch the semis..im not complaining.

Because you won't watch the semis unless you are at The Crucible. What do you think the BBC will broadcast by priority? <doh>

Red button? eurosport?

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Red button? eurosport?

spot on alot of the time they dont bother showing the worlds live anyway so as long as its on red button who cares

:afro:

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:

We don't know that yet, but I suspect you're right.

I susepct the BBC cameramen will probably be taken from The Crucible to film the Royal Wedding. Which means it won't be on interactive or Eurosport, as they use the BBC images.

I hope I'm wrong, because I personally have no desire to sit and watch the BBC coverage of it. We'll have all of the BBC Channels, including the BBC News channels, covering it. With several Royal Correspondents analysing the fact that nothing is happening all day, Gok Wan explaining what he thinks of the new princess' dress and John Culshaw doing an all-day alternative commentary on interactive pretending he's Prince Charles. <doh> Damn, it's going to be a grim day of television.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
Monique wrote:

Red button? eurosport?

Both these mediums use what? That's right, BBC Cameramen. Eurosport uses live pictures provided by the BBC. As does Interactive. It's possible the BBC will move every cameraman possible so we can see every shot of the church, every tree on route to the church. We can get every minor league celebrity/royal giving their opinion...

"And now over to Barry Norman to see what he thinks of it. And Patrick Moore is here, lets talk to him." <doh>

I hope I'm wrong, but as I'm going to the final, I am thinking of making it a long weekend, and going up for the semis. The last thing I want to do is stay in London whilst that rubbish is going on. :sad:

Postby randam05

They wont take the bbc snooker camera men to film it..they must have hundreds of camera men..they dont need snookers camermen, that would be silly.

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:They wont take the bbc snooker camera men to film it..they must have hundreds of camera men..they dont need snookers camermen, that would be silly.

They don't have hundred cameramen The guys who film at the Crucible aren't even BBC employees. They are under contract.

Postby SnookerFan

Maybe they won't take them away, I don't know. But in the royal wedding 1981, I was 6 months old, and apparently I slept through it. I have no recollection of how big it was. But, it's safe to say, these days it'll be bigger. I may only being imagining the scale, so may be off, but I can imagine this being epic. It'll be seen as history in the making.

People from every nation on Earth will descend on London. The Americans, for example, love a good bit of royalty. They'll be out in force. It'll be a nightmare for those of us near the capital to even cross the road. Will transport be laid on? Will it be doubled for the more people, or closed right down ala Christmas to allow bys and train drivers to watch? Pretty much every shop, business, etc will be closed, I imagine. Everything that isn't absolutely neccessary (ie. hospitals) or involved in the 'street party' business will come to a stand still, I imagine. The pubs will be all open, showing the Royal Wedding on big screens. :roll:

This'll be seen as a once in a generation event almost. Not many people care about snooker at the best of times, let alone when this happens. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff about watching it, and had it not clashed with the snooker wouldn't even be talking about it now. But enough of the country will, I promise. And the press.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I can see the whole country grinding to a halt on that day. An extra day off is good, but seriously. How much effort is going to be put into televising a snooker match?

Prince William = :bird:

Postby Lucky

So you want your day off, but everyone who's involved in televising the snooker must work regardless :huh: I was only 7 or 8 when Charly boy and Di got hitched, but I pretty much remember the whole country shut down and held street parties, it was warm then so was it a summer wedding? Back end of April aint guaranteed sunshine so the street parties may be a no-go plus you'll have the muslims and snooker fans burning flags and efergies of the happy couple......either way, I honestly cant see the snooker going ahead whilst the wedding is taking place, a slight re-shuffle may be in order, nothing worth giving the future king of england the finger in anycase <ok>

Postby Casey

I have to say I don’t mind Will’s and Harry. Much more down to earth than Royals past.
Do you think an evening session will go ahead?

Postby SnookerFan

Lucky balls wrote:So you want your day off, but everyone who's involved in televising the snooker must work regardless :huh: I was only 7 or 8 when Charly boy and Di got hitched, but I pretty much remember the whole country shut down and held street parties, it was warm then so was it a summer wedding? Back end of April aint guaranteed sunshine so the street parties may be a no-go plus you'll have the muslims and snooker fans burning flags and efergies of the happy couple......either way, I honestly cant see the snooker going ahead whilst the wedding is taking place, a slight re-shuffle may be in order, nothing worth giving the future king of england the finger in anycase <ok>

Damn straight. :wild2:

No, of course it's reasonable that they have the day off. I was just trying to explain to people that were saying; "Oh yeah, we get a day off, snooker on the telly. <ok> " that there may well not be snooker on the telly regardless.

And, personally, I think anyone who interrupts snooker viewing, especially at The Crucible, deserves a :bird: (Though I didn't quite put it that way when I had to miss the semis of The China Open a few years back, due to a wedding.) :shy:

Postby Casey

Something tells me Lucky and Bourne are having a bidding war on ebay for a limited edition Wills & Kate tea cup and coaster. :john:

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:Something tells me Lucky and Bourne are having a bidding war on ebay for a limited edition Wills & Kate tea cup and coaster. :john:

Somebody at work is getting the Limited Edition Plate. They were showing it me. The mug is also available. :roll: <laugh>

I want some limited edition snooker tickets. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:funny thread .......................S/Fan have you thought of a career in drama :) :idea: :) :idea:

Right now, I can't see past trying my damndest to move out of my parents house. I'm not being funny, but it's the only thing I can focus on at the moment. If it wasn't for the fact I was looking forward to the snooker, I would quite literally go insane. Genuine.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Maybe they won't take them away, I don't know. But in the royal wedding 1981, I was 6 months old, and apparently I slept through it. I have no recollection of how big it was. But, it's safe to say, these days it'll be bigger. I may only being imagining the scale, so may be off, but I can imagine this being epic. It'll be seen as history in the making.

With 24 hour tv news and the internet etc there may be more exposure to this wedding than the 1981 one, but theres no way this wedding will be as big an event as Charles and Dianas was. The royals were far more popular back then with the Silver Jubilee fresh in the memory etc

I was 3 year old and at a street party in Manchester for the 1981 wedding and it was a carnival atmosphere and the country did come to a standstill.

Next years event will be massive and the biggest national event, ironically since Dianas funeral, but it wont be on just as big a scale as '81.

Just have to compare the Golden Jubilee in 2002 compared to the Silver Jubilee celebrations.

Gonna be one hell of a security operation required too, bound to be some nonsense spouted beforehand from our friends abroad and the enemy within :scared:

Postby Roland

Tell you what, I'm already sick to death of hearing about it so imagine how bad it will be DURING the World Championships. It could play in snooker's favour if you think about it. Snooker fans will not not watch the Worlds, and many people sick of hearing about the wedding will tune in for an escape.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Tell you what, I'm already sick to death of hearing about it so imagine how bad it will be DURING the World Championships. It could play in snooker's favour if you think about it. Snooker fans will not not watch the Worlds, and many people sick of hearing about the wedding will tune in for an escape.

as long as Prince Phillip doesnt flick over onto the snooker and happen to see Rory McLeod or Ding Junhui playing......... :john: <doh> rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Tell you what, I'm already sick to death of hearing about it so imagine how bad it will be DURING the World Championships. It could play in snooker's favour if you think about it. Snooker fans will not not watch the Worlds, and many people sick of hearing about the wedding will tune in for an escape.

as long as Prince Phillip doesnt flick over onto the snooker and happen to see Rory McLeod or Ding Junhui playing......... :john: <doh> rofl

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

"Ohh look a little yellow fellow, and whose this other guy? Some Indian is playing, how marvelous. Lizzie, bring the rifle."