Post a reply

Re: Who is the most exciting player to watch?

Postby Casey

Robbo and Mark Allen for me. Very entertaining players with plenty of flair, they both interact with the crowd to get a bit of atmosphere going which is rare these days.

Snookerfanatic, interesting you mention the Ronnie v Allen match. Mark's reaction to the winning that frame on the re-spotted black was one of my all-time favourite Crucible moments.

Postby Roland

Hi Case_Master - welcome to the board. That's a rehash of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A50195036

edited for this forum. Good to see my prediction about Liang Wenbo is starting to come true. Already in the 16 provisionally and reaching the final of the very next tournament.

Postby Casey

Cheers Sonny <ok>

Yea Liang is firing at the minute, his win against an in-form Shaun Murphy was an excellent result. Hopefully Trump can follow in his footsteps, we need the balance of new and old competing.

Postby Wildey

most exciting player to watch in full flow is Hendry but today theres great young exciting players around to watch but if they dont sort out theire game watching will be limited ie Trump not watched him in shanghai or Glasgow.

Postby Roland

Hendry exciting? He was always so damn good in his prime that he made every shot easy because he didn't run out of position. You can watch in awe, but excitement is not the word!

Postby Wildey

but you always expected potting no matter what position the white did finish from..

you never really expected him to turn down any potting chance no matter how difficult.

Postby Seifer Almasy

He needed some Selby or Ronnie or Higgins safety game, but back then, no one put Hendry in those positions which is a pity.

Would have been nice to see Hendry have to adapt a safety game.

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:He needed some Selby or Ronnie or Higgins safety game, but back then, no one put Hendry in those positions which is a pity.

Would have been nice to see Hendry have to adapt a safety game.

seifer keep youre rubish to break off you always make hendry fans having to defend him no matter what site you on.

Postby Eirebilly

Seifer island hatah wrote:you never really expected him to turn down any potting chance no matter how difficult.
--------

and you always unfairly big the guy up ;)

In fairness, Hendry didnt really have to have a safety game as he was so dominant in the balls. His safety game only needed to be developed at a later stage when people (after Ken Doherty) found out how to play against him.

Postby MED

it is a myth Hendry didn't have a safety game to compete and ultimately take over from Steve Davis of course he had to have a very good safety game.and he did have a good safety game.

people tend to remember the late 90s where he got to a mindset of pushing the boat out. Ken didn't learn how to play him he just got cocky and even more arrogant thinking he was invincible.

Hendry at that time didn't use his safety game that much but he did have a safety game there is a difference.

Postby Roland

Hendry's safety game was well obvious in all the finals v Jimmy White. He would get the white tight on the baulk cushion whereas Jimmy would invariably collide with a baulk colour or be just past the baulk line which was good enough as far as he was concerned. So yes, Hendry's always had a safety game but he's not always had the brain to use it when it was called for.

Postby Eirebilly

Watching the game now between Robertson and Higgins i would have to say that Robertson is up there with the attractive play. Robertson is playing out of his skin and giving Higgins a bit of a going over. Fantastic high quality match.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:Watching the game now between Robertson and Higgins i would have to say that Robertson is up there with the attractive play. Robertson is playing out of his skin and giving Higgins a bit of a going over. Fantastic high quality match.

yes he not only has a great game but he is equal in charicter to anything there was in the 80s.

Postby Wildey

people talk a lot about jimmy being the most popular player in the game but its not through his character or persanality he got to be popular..totally through his play..

i see a lot of similarity between Jimmy White at 24 and Jamie Cope at 24.

jimmy got on with his snooker in a shy way just like Cope does.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Best players to watch, fast attacking players or ones that do really good safety as opposed to slow rubbish.

Great players to watch:

O'Sullivan
Higgins (Alex )
White
Drago
Williams
Selby
Wenbo
Quinten Hann

I wouldn't know about the 80's, especially Kirk, he was supposed to be great and he looks like a character.

Postby Wildey

you dont really like snooker do you ?

you cant fully apreciate the full range of the game ...persanally i like it slow so does the G/F she finds being fast a anti climax <laugh>

Postby SavoMilosevic

Stephen Hendry, Jimmy White, Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Mark Williams. :) If I have to pick one, it has to be Hendry because he always attacks even if he has 5 % chance of potting the ball. :) I remember Ronnie saying that Hendry sometimes tries to pot balls that he'll not even look at...

Postby Roland

The players that have had me on the edge of my seat for the most sustained periods of time have been Jimmy White, Mark Williams, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Selby. And Liang and Cope are fast approaching that group, both already having played in edge of the seat Crucible classics (Liang v Swail, Liang v Ding, Cope v Ebdon, Cope v Higgins) and have many more classics ahead of them.

Postby mediter

O´Sullivan for me. A very inventive break-building, always smooth technique and hardly never any bottling. Ebdon takes on some amazingly difficult shot sometimes, that´s what I like too. Wenbo is a bit same too. I think Ebdon has a pretty genuine believe that he can make those shots, they are not reckless shots. The problem for me is with Jamie Cope, Judd trump and perhaps Allen that they take some reckless shots sometimes, I dont like watching that.

Postby Roland

And this came up in an Ebdon search and features 10 shots from a World Championship (think it's 2006) and features 3 shots by Ebdon and 3 shots by Selby. This is why I laugh at people who call them boring and say they take too long on the shots and therefore aren't exciting (although Ebdon can be frustrating when he gets the grinders on):

Quality from a young Selby. The cannon from the blue shot is awesome <ok>

Postby Wildey

Ebdon is a shot maker very much in the mould of Alex Higgins you can almost see his nostrils flare up in the same way :P .

people call him boring but when ebdon plays you never quite know what he will try and i find that good to watch.

im sure on his crucible debut in 1992 he caught Steve Davis off guard with some of the shots he played then and he beat Steve 10-3.

Postby NedB-H

I remember a shot from Ebdon at the WCs, he was on a colour with the cue ball near the right hand cushion just below the baulk line... either the pink or blue was near the middle of the table (can't remember which). It was blocked to the left corner, so he got down and played the cut blind back into the right corner at an absurdly acute angle. Might have been during the infamous Lee match...

Postby mediter

Yes, sometimes Peter gets too dogged, doesn´t do himself any favours then. But his career has been "pretty" succesfull still, 3 world finals (1 vicory), 1 UK victory and is it 6 or 7 other ranking titles. I would personally really like to see at least one more O´Sullivan vs Ebdon World Championship match. Perhaps this year.