Post a reply

Re: About John Higgins' return to competition

Postby gallantrabbit

Yeah - ban a bloke for life for being a little naive after being put into a situation he knew about 1 minute before.
Ban Burnett, who you have unquestionable evidence against, then I'll have a flicker of interest about any other cases.

Postby gallantrabbit

Not interested in the NOTW. my gut feeling is that Higgins is innocent and Mooney was guilty. You heard little or no protest from Mooney so it's clear he was at it.
If Jimmy can't win this weekend I hope John Higgins does.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Yeah - ban a bloke for life for being a little naive after being put into a situation he knew about 1 minute before.
Ban Burnett, who you have unquestionable evidence against, then I'll have a flicker of interest about any other cases.

how do we def know he only knew about the situation 1 minute before the meeting? :chin:

he was the one who suggested "losing" the 261k among his mortgage in Spain.

he looked happy clinking glasses of bubbly with these so called Russian Mafia rofl

and he didnt bother informing Hearn did he <doh>

to be honest what he did was identical to Hann so a life ban would be too harsh, hmm about 8 years would be justice <ok>

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:get the feeling some people here would turn a blind eye to an old lady being mugged on the street................ :idea:

only if Ronnie was the Mugger...

come on you know who you are ;) <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

Not at all. Higgins is rich already. Do you really think he'd risk everything for a one off payment hed split with Mooney.
As I said it's gut feeling with me. If you think different your choice. But I think it'd be a bit pathetic to keep bringing the subject up everytime Higgins played.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

gallantrabbit wrote:Not at all. Higgins is rich already. Do you really think he'd risk everything for a one off payment hed split with Mooney..

Which is a bit like saying " It's only poor people who are criminals " If that's your logic then surely Higgins must have retired by now , I mean it's not like he doesn't need the money

And the WPBSA have now opened a hotline for players to report suspicous activity to the authorities

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 184852.stm

Oh who's that suspicous character I see in the photo ?

And I wonder what sympathy gland Higgins will be trying to stimulate come the UK championship ?

I helped Stephen Lee lose several stone thereby improving his life ?

I I gave BOTH my kidneys away to a couple of African orphans ?

or

I just saved Britain from a terrorist plot from Al Quada but just like my dealings with the Russian mafia but just like the case withn the Russian mafia I don't like to talk about it

:bs:

Postby Casey

Nervy Higgins Back To Winning Ways
John Higgins returned to competitive action at EPTC5 in Hamm - and proved that he can still cut the mustard.

Higgins beat Joe Jogia 4-2 in the first round in Germany to progress to a last 64 clash with Dave Harold later today.

The three-times World Champion from Wishaw admitted to being "very nervous" in playing his first professional match since losing to Steve Davis in the second round at the Crucible last April. He was subsequently banned from tournaments for six months following a Sport Resolutions UK hearing.

He got the better of a scrappy first frame 66-9, then showed a flash of form in the second with a trademark 50 clearance to win it on the black. Jogia took the next with a run of 88 then Higgins went 3-1 up in a fragmented fourth.

The Scot should have clinched victory in frame five but missed an easy final green and went in-off, allowing his opponent to clear to the pink. But Higgins settled the affair in the next with a handy break of 52.

"I was very rusty coming back into it but I thoroughly enjoyed it," said the 35-year-old. "I felt very nervous. Obviously it was the first match back, so hopefully I can play better. I found the nerves quite difficult but once you’re out there you try to concentrate on what’s at hand."

He even admitted the nerves were comparable to playing in a world final. "It was similar," he said. "Every match takes on its own importance and it was a big match for me. When you get down to the nitty-gritty and you’re faced with the pressure balls, then the nerves get to you a little bit. But apart from that I felt quite good."

There have been examples in sport of stars taking long breaks from their profession - enforced or otherwise - then needing months or even years to get back to their previous level. Golfer Lee Westwood dropped out of the world's top 250 after a long break following the birth of his first son in 2001. And Higgins confessed concern about his own game, having not picked up a cue for several months before the hearing.

"I was worried about it and I’m still worried about it," he said. "It’s probably the longest I’ve taken off so it’s going to be hard to get back into the swing of things, but the more matches I play, hopefully I’ll get back up to speed again. But I was confident this day would come."

Considered one of snooker's best ever tactical players, Higgins does not feel he has lost any of his strategic nous. "I hope I haven't lost that, if I have I’ll be in trouble!" he joked. "That’s always been my way about the table and hopefully I can keep it going."

Higgins will contest this EPTC event and the one in Prague next week, in order to gain match sharpness ahead of the 12BET.com UK Championship in December and the Masters in January. "I was thinking what to do and that seemed the best course of action – trying to get some matches under my belt in these two tournaments," he added. "We’re trying to get these smaller events going in the hope that they will grow into bigger tournaments. But it was just great to be out there playing. The conditions are still the same."

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wrote:Yea I'm sure John considers his fathers impending death to be a real convenience for his reputation :roll:

Whatever John Higgins has or has not done, it's a tough thing to deal with and I do genuinely feel sorry for him. It has nothing to do with snooker, and it won't make me support him as a player any more or less, but it is something that is sad to go through and he doesn't deserve to be beaten up about it. He hasn't exactly made a song and dance out of it anyway.

Postby PLtheRef

hear hear.

On other notes has anyone seen the NoTW's big advert

'THE BIG STORIES START HERE'

I think there's a fair bit of truth in that.

Postby likelylad

Monique wrote:John Higgins will return to competition next week-end when he will play in EPTC event 5 in Hamm. There are a lot of expectations around him and I'm not sure that's a good thing, or that it is fair.
In the following interview John reveals (a bit of) what he has gone through. Despite what he hopes, such hard times in life do change you as a person, definitively. It might make him stronger, it might have broken some parts of him forever. Only time will tell.
Whatever it is, it will be hard. Good luck John.

n rory.reynolds@scotlandonsunday.com
[/quote]

Is it not a bit over the top? I can imagine people being in more hard times. its not like he had an incurable disease is it? broken some parts of him forever?? he is still well off with all his winnings, kept his family together and back on the circuit. I can name dozens of people who are worse off.