Post a reply

Re: Start winning at 18, or you'll never be a great?

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:Wow, i cant believe how this thread has gone <doh> .

Back on topic, i think that it is absolutely wrong to say that a player needs to start winning titels at 18 to become an all time great. Players will develope and mature in their own time, ala Robbo. Who is to say that he, Selby, Ding or Allen (to name a few players past the 18yo mark) are not on the crest of domination thus gaining all time great status??

It's a difficult issue, and one in which depends on how you define an all time great. All of these are great players, or they wouldn't be professionals. There is a difference between being great and being an all time great.

I think Hendry and Ronnie are the two that stand out as the two greatest of all time, and suggesting that somebody is rubbish just because they can't favourably compare to them is farcical. As is putting an age on when a player has to start winning to be called a great. There are other factors involved, of course.

I think the point Ronnie was trying to make, in his usual 'Even If I Make An Intelligent Point, I Have To Make A Couple Of Idiotic Ones To Balance It Out' way, was that a player is judged on success, not potential. So it's no good sitting there for half your career saying you've got potental, and not winning anything, because all too soon, you'll be too old to beat the young up-and-comers. Judd Trump has a lot of potential, for example, but hasn't won anything. If he retired tomorrow, would he be considered an All Time Great? Even an ardant Trump fan-boy wouldn't claim this.

I think any players that want to be remembered as an ATG have to start winning now, to be honest. The PTCs are here, so there isn't the excuse for lack of match practice any more. Robertson is the World Champion, and has won the most recent ranking event, PTCs aside. If he could carry on the form and win at least one of the following; Masters/UK/World this year, then carry on his haul of ranking events he'll be on his way. But you could say that about a lot of the players. They have to start winning regularly to be considered an ATG. I think this was what Ronnie was really trying to get across, not some trivial debate about what the best age to win a first ranker is.

Postby Wildey

Exactly

the sooner you start winning the sooner you can get up there to challange thoes players as the Greatest.

at the moment theres nobody that you can think in 10 years time there will be a

Ronnie vs ???????????????

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Thread.

Postby Eirebilly

There are plenty of players out there with the 'Potential' to be an ATG. They dont have to start winning now to acheive that titel. They just have to win the matches over their whole career. Its not the age that you start winning, its what you have achieved at the end of your career which defines whether or not you could be considered an ATG.

Who cares when, where or at what age they start winning. It will all be clear at the end of their respective careers.

In regards to Judd Trump, no he hasnt won anything of real note but its way too early to say that he is not living up to his potential. Maybe in 4 or 5 years he will be experienced enough and win the lot. People mature at different rates.

Postby Wildey

mate

with Trump its not a case of he hasn't won anything of Note he has only once reached the Last 16 of anything of note. he needs to start to convert his talent in to last 16s Quarter Finals etc....as a 21 year old with the potential he has he's not fulfilled his promise. whatever the future brings is insignificant here and now everyone in the snooker World,his Family,Himself Expected more from him by the age of 21.

its time he starts to deliver now talking is over.

Postby Eirebilly

Wild, the media and the fans put this Potential label on him. He obviously as the talent but is maybe not mentally ready just yet. He may just be a late bloomer and not start winning until he is, say, 25. Do you really want to write a 21 year old boy off right now simply because he hasnt done what you (and possibly many others) have expected from him?

Postby Eirebilly

I think that if Judd was 30 and still had'nt won anything of note then you could probably saythat he hasnt reached what you had expected of him but at 21, he is still a boy.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:Wild, the media and the fans put this Potential label on him. He obviously as the talent but is maybe not mentally ready just yet. He may just be a late bloomer and not start winning until he is, say, 25. Do you really want to write a 21 year old boy off right now simply because he hasnt done what you (and possibly many others) have expected from him?

who mentioned winning a last 16 would do me for now <ok>

Postby Eirebilly

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Wild, the media and the fans put this Potential label on him. He obviously as the talent but is maybe not mentally ready just yet. He may just be a late bloomer and not start winning until he is, say, 25. Do you really want to write a 21 year old boy off right now simply because he hasnt done what you (and possibly many others) have expected from him?

who mentioned winning a last 16 would do me for now <ok>

Just give him some time there Wild <ok>. I honestly believe that he is not mentally strong enough yet but will get that with time.

Postby likelylad

Ronnie is right. Look at Ryan Day, he has not won any ranking tournament and now he is nearing 30 i doubt he will win anything. All the hype about Trump has put pressure on him, or he was thinking being so good a title would eventually come by itself. Brecel could fall in the same trap. For the latter i dont like it at all being put on a pedestal before achieving anything. His place in the power snooker event was a disgrace!