Post a reply

Re: Selby: Hands off the World's

Postby Wildey

Tennis hasent changed the Sport hasent Reduced Formats neither has Golf.

theres New Rackets, Balls, Clubs but nothing regarding the structure of thoes games.

Snooker has changed more than they have in the Last 30 years.

Postby GJ

nonsense mate what about night session at tennis slams , changes in prize money and plenty of other things to help the players and fans

1 rest day doesnt change the format <doh>

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:nonsense mate what about night session at tennis slams , changes in priz money and plenty of other things to help the players and fans

we Already got Night sessions in Snooker and theres complaints they to Late ...

im talking of Structures the Last Major Structural change at Wimbledon or tennis was bringing in tie Breaks that was 30 years ago.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:nonsense mate what about night session at tennis slams , changes in priz money and plenty of other things to help the players and fans

im talking of Structures the Last Major Structural change at Wimbledon or tennis was bringing in tie Breaks that was 30 years ago.

tell me how does 1 rest day change the amount of frames played at the worlds

:bang2:

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:I don't think there should be a rest day at all. The only options I see would be to have three sessions on Semi final thursday and friday with just two on the saturday then have the final as usual. Or as above but start the final on the saturday night, have one more session on the sunday night before the usual two sessions on the monday.

its more to do with time to change the set from 2 table to 1 table that the the thursday has 2 sessions .

why do they have the thursday morning off in the first week too though :huh2:

thats always puzzled me, but after seeing Doherty late on the Wednesday night this year, i suspect it was maybe so he would have time to sober up for the Thursday afternoon haha

Postby Bourne

I can just imagine if snooker was an outdoor sport, and it was raining in April, wild would be the lone voice here calling for play to continue even though the table was soaking wet, just because he's an old traditionalist rofl

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

tell me how does 1 rest day change the amount of frames played at the worlds

:bang2:

i don't want Rest Days ok .

However if and i hope they dont BUT your idea of between Quarters and Semis is the Best one, the Tournament Changes after the quarters anyway and it has the feel of a different tournament and venue..

i honestly think a rest day between semi and final will be detrimental to players.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:I can just imagine if snooker was an outdoor sport, and it was raining in April, wild would be the lone voice here calling for play to continue even though the table was soaking wet, just because he's an old traditionalist rofl

:wild2: <laugh> rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:I don't think there should be a rest day at all. The only options I see would be to have three sessions on Semi final thursday and friday with just two on the saturday then have the final as usual. Or as above but start the final on the saturday night, have one more session on the sunday night before the usual two sessions on the monday.

its more to do with time to change the set from 2 table to 1 table that the the thursday has 2 sessions .

why do they have the thursday morning off in the first week too though :huh2:

thats always puzzled me, but after seeing Doherty late on the Wednesday night this year, i suspect it was maybe so he would have time to sober up for the Thursday afternoon haha

you Know What

thats something they Could do

Play thursday Morning First Week then Play through so theres no play on Wednesday Evening the Second week so they can start dismantling Tables get them Ready for Thursday Morning 10am then play 3 Sessions Thursday and Friday and only 2 On Saturday.

Both Semis Concluded 10am and 2.30pm Saturday.

but then the Last 16 and Q/F Would overlap.

Postby randam05

Its not hard to slightly adjust the schedule. They dont need to change the whole length, thats stupid. If they give it a moment of thought they will realise slight rescheduling would do the trick.

Postby Wildey

theres the second Sunday Morning Session as well they Could use

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:Its not hard to slightly adjust the schedule. They dont need to change the whole length, thats stupid. If they give it a moment of thought they will realise slight rescheduling would do the trick.

thats what im saying but apparentlymaking small scheduling changes means i want the worlds dismantled

:wave: <ok>

Postby randam05

Does the semi final need to be that long? over 4 sessions? I think one less frame than the final is a bit silly. Maybe first to 14/15 instead.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Does the semi final need to be that long? over 4 sessions? I think one less frame than the final is a bit silly. Maybe first to 14/15 instead.

Absalutly 110% yes it needs to be that long.

To Be a credable champion you virtually have to win 2 Finals to be crowned World Champ.

Postby Monique

that's probably what some old-timers thought when the format was reduced to "only" best of 35 and the event compacted in some 17 days rather than spread over the season. remember Alex Higgins in 1972 won 37-32... So Hendry in their eyes isn't a "creditable" 7 times World Champion most probably ;)
Yet if the format hadn't changed I doubt the sport would ever have been successful on television ... seeing bits and bites of matches spread over the season is unlikely to create sustained interest and tension.
Instead of reacting by just say "no", fans should maybe ask those players who are asking for changes why they feel those changes are necessary. After all they are the ones who "do" the game and when several World Champions are calling for changes then maybe it's worth considering. It's only too easy to brand them "clowns,", "whimps", "lazy gits" ... while sitting on ones bum and watching more often than not from the comfort of ones lounge.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:that's probably what some old-timers thought when the format was reduced to "only" best of 35 and the event compacted in some 17 days rather than spread over the season. remember Alex Higgins in 1972 won 37-32... So Hendry in their eyes isn't a "creditable" 7 times World Champion most probably ;)
Yet if the format hadn't changed I doubt the sport would ever have been successful on television ... seeing bits and bites of matches spread over the season is unlikely to create sustained interest and tension.
Instead of reacting by just say "no", fans should maybe ask those players who are asking for changes why they feel those changes are necessary. After all they are the ones who "do" the game and when several World Champions are calling for changes then maybe it's worth considering. It's only too easy to brand them "clowns,", "whimps", "lazy gits" ... while sitting on ones bum and watching more often than not from the comfort of ones lounge.

ive been waiting for that ;)

my answer to that is it had to be Reduced For TV Purposes and they Trimmed it Perfectly for a 2 Week 17 Day tournament thats worked perfectly for 29 years (1982 was the first time it was played in the current format).

they couldnt really have 1 week for 1 match like it was in the early years.

if they could have Kept Longer Finals and Matches they Would Have.

That change was necessarily the change being discussed now is not necessarily and would be change for change sake thats never Good for a sport to do that when its still the Most Watched Format of The game.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:that's probably what some old-timers thought when the format was reduced to "only" best of 35 and the event compacted in some 17 days rather than spread over the season. remember Alex Higgins in 1972 won 37-32... So Hendry in their eyes isn't a "creditable" 7 times World Champion most probably ;)

ive been waiting for that ;)

my answer to that is it had to be Reduced For TV Purposes and they Trimmed it Perfectly for a 2 Week 17 Day tournament thats worked perfectly for 29 years (1982 was the first time it was played in the current format).

they couldnt really have 1 week for 1 match like it was in the early years.

if they could have Kept Longer Finals and Matches they Would Have.

That change was necessarily the change being discussed now is not necessarily and would be change for change sake thats never Good for a sport to do that when its still the Most Watched Format of The game.

NO EXCUSES hendo isnt a proper champion if he couldnt hack the first to 35 format he isnt a true champ

YOUR WORDS NOT MINE WILD ;) <laugh>

Postby Monique

Indeed it has changed because needs and expectations had changed. It has now been in the form we know for 29 years and during this 29 years our society has changed, audience is different, the game has gone more global and is played differently at a different pace and people out of UK might have a different perception. Six-red, so despised in UK, is highly successful in Asian countries. Mainland Europe audiences expect much more interaction and "fun" than traditional UK audiences do. Television is no more the only channel: Internet is just as important. Even on television people have now dozens of available choices as compared to a handful at most at the time. So it's preposterous to think you can "freeze" a format forever and stay successful.
When several World Champions call for a change, the very minimum you would expect is that at least the question is asked "Why do they want a change?". It's only too easy to sit on ones bum watching and then brand them "clowns", "whims" and "lazy gits". Those guys have done it, several times for some. They are the ones who "do" the game. They might want a change for the wrong reasons. They might come up with the wrong solution to a real problem, possibly ... but refusing to even consider the possibility that things have to evolve is certainly not the right attitude.

Postby Casey

If tennis players can play 7 5 set matches in 14 days then surely snooker players can play 5 matches in 17 days.

The problem is not the tournament up to and including the SF's. The SF's have included probably the best snooker per round through the years, especially some of the Hendry/Ronnie SF's. The issue seems to be the final after, so start the SF's earlier by including an extra session on the first SF and have the last SF session over by the Saturdays afternoon session = plenty of rest for the players. This fixes the problem.

Although its only been in the last few season we have had poor finals, for 20+ years we had top quality finals.

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:If tennis players can play 7 5 set matches in 14 days then surely snooker players can play 5 matches in 17 days.

The problem is not the tournament up to and including the SF's. The SF's have included probably the best snooker per round through the years, especially some of the Hendry/Ronnie SF's. The issue seems to be the final after, so start the SF's earlier by including an extra session on the first SF and have the last SF session over by the Saturdays afternoon session = plenty of rest for the players. This fixes the problem.

Although its only been in the last few season we have had poor finals, for 20+ years we had top quality finals.

I'm not sure tennis and snooker can really compare. Tennis is physically demanding but action provides a release of the mental tension. Snooker is above all a mental game with no hiding place and no relief to stress. It's a completely different type of demand.
As for top quality finals over 20+ years I very much doubt that... memories tend to get embellished as time passes and nostalgia kicks in. And "highlights" of past matches focus on the more interesting moments.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
case_master wrote:If tennis players can play 7 5 set matches in 14 days then surely snooker players can play 5 matches in 17 days.

I'm not sure tennis and snooker can really compare. Tennis is physically demanding but action provides a release of the mental tension. Snooker is above all a mental game with no hiding place and no relief to stress. It's a completely different type of demand.
As for top quality finals over 20+ years I very much doubt that... memories tend to get embellished as time passes and nostalgia kicks in. And "highlights" of past matches focus on the more interesting moments.

3 of the 4 longest finals in history have happened in the last 5 years.

I still think if the SF's were wrapped up by the Saturday afternoon would solve the problem.The ladies final could be played that night, or a doubles exhibition etc.

Postby Casey

Or as Sonny said start it on Friday and finish on Sunday for our European friends :)

Postby GJ

case_master wrote:Or as Sonny said start it on Friday and finish on Sunday for our European friends :)

that was me :grrr:

Postby Bourne

Each of the World Champs in the last four years has won their semi-final in (or bef0re) the Sat PM session.

Postby Casey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:Or as Sonny said start it on Friday and finish on Sunday for our European friends :)

<ok> Sorry.

Postby GJ

case_master wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

<ok> Sorry.

<cool> :D

Postby Monique

Short finals don't necessarily mean "quality" final. If the match is close it's unlikely to finish early.
Yes wrapping up by Saturday afternoon would help certainly. As would a day of rest... as I wrote the Ladies final and/or the Senior final could be played on that day.
But I think that with a more global audience a Sunday finish is really a must. And starting evening sessions earlier.
That's why I think that either the event should be held over more than 17 days, if the same format is kept, or the format should be shortened slightly. Not a one day final as Higgins proposed. Not shortening the first rounds neither as Selby proposed - that would increase the "luck" factor - but shortening slightly the semis and the final. Slightly.
It's unlikely any television broadcaster would go for three weeks, but if one was ready for that I'd love it, and the quarters on a one table setup.

Postby Wildey

im going Round in circles here but i dont see the Need in shortening the Final or Semi Final its worked and it has always worked so why change it .

yes you could play around with sessions theres the First Thursday and Middle Sunday Morning Sessions that can be used there is also the need in Playing Final Sessions earlier also Spread out the Final so more Frames is played on the 1st day of the final at the Moment theres 16 played on Day 1 increase that to 18 and play 8 frames on Monday Affo with a Possible 9 Monday Evening session starting at 7pm

we could be Going in to the Final session 13-13,14-12,15-11 instead of 12-12,13-11,14-10

the key for me is getting the finalist on sooner in the day because they are Working Off Nervous Energy thinking about the Match when they would rather be out there playing.

Postby randam05

Haha wild! I love that last couple of paragraphs...

Im very bored of this topic now. Its obvious 98% of the fans dont want it changed. 50% of the players do.

Theres not much else to say about this topic..is there?