Post a reply

Re: Selby: Hands off the World's

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:The worlds should be completely changed

best of 5 all the way through and 20 second shot clock

SEIFER island hatah

Come to think of it, Seifer hated short-frame matches. He tended to want best of 19s in the first round of every tournament, with a shot clock to make sure things went quickly... I never did understand that guy. <laugh>

Postby Monique

Here comes another one, another world champion calling for shortening formats.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29102010/ ... inals.html

Murphy managed to outlast Matthew Stevens with an 18-16 win over the Welshman in the final of the 2005 world final, but believes the shorter format could be equally as appealing.
"I think we have to look at change," said Murphy. "Me and a few of my mates were considering going to the darts. We wondered why we were considering going to the darts? It was because it looked like a great night out. I'm not that interested in darts, but it looks like a good atmosphere.
"The same has to happen with snooker. People need to have fun when they come to snooker. This going to be exciting, quick-fire, fast-paced and very entertaining.
"I honestly don't see why any match needs to be longer than two sessions. The first to 10 over two sessions is usually long enough for a bit of ball run to even out between players, a bit of bad luck and good luck to favour each player and you know you are both going to get chances during that match.
"I personally don't see the need for a match to be any longer than that. I think that the days of the first to 18 over four days may be numbered.
"Normally, you get to the final and you are knackered and one of you falls over the line at the end of the final.
"Maybe first to 13 could be the final, but I'm not sure it needs to be any more than that."

Postby Roland

Let's face it Monique - when you're relying on quotes from Ronnie and Murphy to back you up, you're in trouble <laugh>

Postby sundaygirl

Re Murphy I've never come across anyone so eager to give an interview/quote.

Shaun Murphy says to Jounalist "Sorry, No Comment" That would be news!

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Let's face it Monique - when you're relying on quotes from Ronnie and Murphy to back you up, you're in trouble <laugh>

and, Higgins, Robertson, Davis ...

Let's face it Sonny, a lot of top players want a change. Even Selby was not as radical as your title makes it: he was ready to shorten the first rounds. Which IMO is worse than shortening slightly the semis and/or final. We don't want luck to play a role here, when it comes to determine the best player. Best of 10 and best of 13 until quarters should certainly no be shortened.

The semis have been best of 31 for 15 years, and 6 out of 7 of Hendry's titltes and nobody ever suggested it made Davis or Hendry less of champions for it, isn't it?
That change alone and semis played 3,3,2 sessions and 8,8,8,7 frames would allow BOTH players to have a bit of rest and would make for better and fairer finals. That's all I ask for, format wise. Add to that earlier starts of evening sessions and Sunday finish and I'm happy. I don't think I'm devaluating the event with this.

IF for broadcasting reasons it HAD to be shortened further, then I would rather shorten the final stages slightly than shorten the first rounds because indeed longer formats favour the best players. So no best of 9 in the WC for me!

And, you might not believe it, but posting this link was pure mischievious teasing! ;)
Last edited by Monique on 29 Oct 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

ROBBO WAS MISQUOTED

Postby Roland

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:Let's face it Monique - when you're relying on quotes from Ronnie and Murphy to back you up, you're in trouble <laugh>

Let's face it Sonny, a lot of top players want a change. Even Selby was not as radical as your title makes it: he was ready to shorten the first rounds. Which IMO is worse than shortening slightly the semis and/orfinal. We don't want luck to play roles here, when it comes to determine the best player. Best of 10 and best of 13 until quarters should certainly no be shortened.

As I've said before - Higgins was thinking self preservation (a shorter format would suit him as he battles fitness levels and stamina), Robertson was moaning about being stuck in a hotel room where he'd rather grab the money as quick as possible and run, and Davis was talking bullocks and totally contradicting everything he says during the World Championships.

Now you're relying on quotes from Murphy! I actually like Murphy and think he's good for the game, but I take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Re Murphy I've never come across anyone so eager to give an interview/quote.

Shaun Murphy says to Jounalist "Sorry, No Comment" That would be news!

<laugh>

The journalist was probably just walking past is house, and Murphy came running out; "I've got something controversial to say. Wait come back!" <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
Now you're relying on quotes from Murphy! I actually like Murphy and think he's good for the game, but I take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

I used to, but he seems more and more eager to make a hammer of himself lately.

Postby Wildey

Murphy you come anywhere near me your numbered buster now go back to church and lets hope a minister drowns you in babtism water you bible bashing hammer.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

Let's face it Sonny, a lot of top players want a change. Even Selby was not as radical as your title makes it: he was ready to shorten the first rounds. Which IMO is worse than shortening slightly the semis and/or final. We don't want luck to play a role here, when it comes to determine the best player. Best of 10 and best of 13 until quarters should certainly no be shortened.

The semis have been best of 31 for 15 years, and 6 out of 7 of Hendry's titltes and nobody ever suggested it made Davis or Hendry less of champions for it, isn't it?
That change alone and semis played 3,3,2 sessions and 8,8,8,7 frames would allow BOTH players to have a bit of rest and would make for better and fairer finals. That's all I ask for, format wise. Add to that earlier starts of evening sessions and Sunday finish and I'm happy. I don't think I'm devaluating the event with this.

IF for broadcasting reasons it HAD to be shortened further, then I would rather shorten the final stages slightly than shorten the first rounds because indeed longer formats favour the best players. So no best of 9 in the WC for me!

And, you might not believe it, but posting this link was pure mischievious teasing! ;)

mon

they can hope all they like if anything happens to the world ill be after the buckers and ramming their cue right up their stupid baboons shiny behinds .

every bucking one of the idiotic pin ends that want a cushy job.

Postby Tubberlad

Shaun Murphy wrote:The first to 10 over two sessions is usually long enough for a bit of ball run to even out between players, a bit of bad luck and good luck to favour each player and you know you are both going to get chances during that match.

Jesus bucking christ <doh> calling him a dumbass would be giving the guy credit he doesn't deserve

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:rofl
haha yes they just want an easier way to earn good money
:grrr:

it will be over my dead body ill tell each and every one if they want war ill give it will bells on.

im not going to let lasy know rubbish all snooker players ruin this sport because they think that will help the popularity of the sport not on your nelly.

their opinions over the years has taken this sport down the swany so their opinions now mean rubbish and is still as warped as its ever been.

Postby Monique

Over your dead body? I doubt you or anyone of us will have a say in this if it comes to that.
And once again people seem to react to others posts without reading properly what was written.
@Wild: all I'm asking for is to revert to the format that was in place when Hendry won his first 6 titles: it was "shorter" - the semis were played over 31 frames, not 33. If you think he's less of a champion because of this ... ;) Other than that, I'm asking for tweaks in the schedule, not the format. The rationale behind my proposal is double:
- to make it easier for European viewers and young viewers to watch the final stages by putting evening sessions earlier and starting the tournament on Friday so that it can end on Sunday. We are one or two hours ahead of you and for us that Monday is a normal working day. Parents will be more amenable to let their kids watch it if it starts earlier and also if the next day's isn't a school day (for Brits kids)
- to make it fairer to both finalists and possibly provide a bit more quality into the final. To this aim, my proposal is to start the semis with morning session and having the sessions scheduled as 3,3,2. So no evening session in the last day of semis. That slot could be used for instance for the Ladies final. Also with 31 frames to play my preference would be to spread them as 8,8,8,7. With this both player would have at least a chance for a good rest and that hopefully could help to avoid the type of anti-climax final we only had too often over the last years. It's not just the late finish that is hard for the "second semi" winner, it's also that if you finish around midnight, high on adrenaline you are unlikely to have some good sleep before 3 am...

Other that that, what I have said is that IF the format HAS to be shorten for reasons that can't be avoided (for instance dictated by the media needs - as was the change that lead to the current format, don't forget that) then - and only then - I would rather haver the latter stages shortened slightly than the first round reduced to best of 9 or the like. Best of 19 is indeed the minimum required to test all aspects of the game. It is in my view more important that all rounds are played over a sufficient number of frames and all players tested thoroughly than sticking to the best of 35 in the final where after all the two guys competing have already proved their value by reaching that stage.
As for the players opinion, I think that they are entitled to voice it and that they should be listened to. That does not mean that everything they come out with should be adopted. But when several top players come about with complains and suggestions about something, then it means there is a malaise. It is the duty of the authorities to listen, to try to identify what exactly the problem is and to address it. The solution might not be what the players had in mind initially actually. But denial is never a solution. It is only to easy for fans sitting on their bums to brand them "lazy", "whims", "clowns". They are the ones who make this game, who devoted thousand of hours of practice to hone their skills from a tender age on. It's their future and earnings that are at stake. The minimum they deserve is to be acknowledged when they feel something isn't quite right.

Postby Wildey

it was 2 frames shorter mon and wont make a blind bit of differance.

im really passionate about the WC Frame format and when i see players talking bull it pisses me off.

Postby Monique

Dave H on twitter
Looks like they've brought the evening session of the world final forward an hour to 7pm. Common sense the winner...at last

Postby Wildey

i hope they brought the the Afternoon session forward as well or they might have 13 frames to be played in the evening.

Postby paperbackwriter

Monique wrote:As for the players opinion, I think that they are entitled to voice it and that they should be listened to. That does not mean that everything they come out with should be adopted. But when several top players come about with complains and suggestions about something, then it means there is a malaise. It is the duty of the authorities to listen, to try to identify what exactly the problem is and to address it. The solution might not be what the players had in mind initially actually. But denial is never a solution. It is only to easy for fans sitting on their bums to brand them "lazy", "whims", "clowns". They are the ones who make this game, who devoted thousand of hours of practice to hone their skills from a tender age on. It's their future and earnings that are at stake. The minimum they deserve is to be acknowledged when they feel something isn't quite right.

I hate this "don't criticize if you don't do it/can't do it better yourself" approach. Fans may sit on their bums while following pro snooker, but they obviously have lifes beyond that. I guess in most cases they know what hard work is and what it's like to deal with tough circumstances in order to achieve. That's life, it's something you have to go through if you want to be on the top. It shouldn't be any easier to become a World Champion. And I won't call anyone "lazy" or "clown", but yeah, I'd prefer someone to say "buck this, whatever it takes, I'll win" than trying to make himself more comfortable.

(I guess finishing on Sunday would suit me better, but at the same time I'd miss those nervous Mondays when I'm trying to get everything else out of the way. Plus, being half dead on Tuesday is much better than being half dead on Monday. Still, overally it would be a good move.)

Postby PLtheRef

Not that having no Saturday evening session (as it is now) is likely to happen (I've finally cracked 3,3,2 - For some reason I thought have Players A and B out for three frames etc) but it does solve one potential problem that people raise.

There has been only one Final - where no Afternoon or Evening session took place the day before.

That one went, you guessed it, 35 frames.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:There has been only one Final - where no Afternoon or Evening session took place the day before.

That one went, you guessed it, 35 frames.

1985 World Final <ok>

Postby Monique

Yes and isn't that what we all want? A close hard fought battle going the distance?
This just supports my point: that giving the players more rest time can only provide the fans with better quality snooker especially in the final.
It totally baffles me how some can think that it could be detrimental to their snooker.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Yes and isn't that what we all want? A close hard fought battle going the distance?
This just supports my point: that giving the players more rest time can only provide the fans with better quality snooker especially in the final.
It totally baffles me how some can think that it could be detrimental to their snooker.

and on until almost 1am hardly keeping with what you want and that started before 8pm not sure but i think it was 7.30pm British Time.

the quality of the final was poor if that what you want 2010 final between Robbo and Dott had better quality play.

Postby PLtheRef

1985 started at 7pm to 8pm CET which ran on until 01:23 CET. -

The issue as I see it with Moniques suggestion though would make some sense (i.e. we could have potential best of 7 frame final sessions) if matches start at 12-12. The result of having no afternoon and evening session on the last day of the semis though through matches having concluded at 16-5 has been seen in an 18-17 Final which is remembered to this day.

The only problem with Moniques suggestion is the scheduling, what it would mean is that on what is the Wednesday afternoon of the quarters that QF1 and QF2 are completed as to allow both players equal rest ahead of the Semi-final on the Thursday Morning, not a huge issue but one for the tablefitters who after the evening session on Wednesday would have considerably less time to alter the set in readiness for the one table situation from Thursday.

The second problem of having a 3,3,2 schedule is that the play can be completed with a day to spare, even with the 2,3,3, session play extends over each of the three days, lets say with the 8,8,8,7 format Monique has suggested one semi is won 16-8 and the other 16-6 then play is concluded in two days and there is no play required on the third day. Whereas a 2,3,3 schedule would mean a guarantee of a third days play.

TBH that evening session could be filled in with a bo9 or bo11 third place match.

Postby Wildey

paddy

point is the standard of play in the 1985 final was rubbish to say the least ...

Dennis did not crawl back 8-0 deficit by being Flamboyant attacking and Break building.

he got back to win by grinding hard every ball was like a pint of blood every frame was like a minor operation and every session like heart bypass.

that what i want from a World Champion.