Post a reply

Re: Selby: Hands off the World's

Postby GJ

having 1 rest day is far better than tampering with amount of frames

so basically all you do is start on friday have rest day on the final wednesday

simple

Postby Roland

Yeah don't even suggest it wild. It's a bad idea to shorten any aspect of the Worlds. I like the first round because you get sessions of 9 and up to 10 frames and to stop the winning score reaching double figures that would be a bad move.

The existing format works, there is no requirement to change it. Everything slots together. If anything start it on the first Friday, a day earlier so we in the UK still get a day off work on the Bank Holiday Monday but those in the continent get to see the final finish on Sunday. I don't have a problem with that, plus it would mean a new buzz on the Friday it starts.

Postby Wildey

But the Major Suggestion id Make is The Final Sessions Better so it is spread out more.

Sunday 2pm 9 Frames
Sunday 7pm 9 Frames
Monday 2.30pm 8 Frames
Monday 7pm 9 Frames

Postby GJ

so i say it should be

friday round 1
saturday
sunday
monday
tuesday
wednesday round 1 and start of round 2

thursday round 2
friday
sat
sun

monday quarters
tuesday

wednesday rest day

thursday
friday semi's
sat

sun
mon final

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:Also nobody ever said something is wrong with the WC because Power Snooker has been invented. It has been said before Power Snooker was even mentioned, by Higgins in the first place. And anyway Power Snooker is not proposed as a replacement for snooker, it's a different form of the game and supposed to attract a different audience. It's an addition not a replacement, so I don't get all the furor some raise around it. You don't like it, don't watch.

So Ronnie's comments about Power Snooker being the future of snooker didn't happen then? Ronnie wasn't the only one. Murphy also got in on the act saying he thought snooker needed something like Power Snooker. Though, I agree this is more subjective a comment then what Ronnie said.

Most of it is marketing, I agree. Sticking popular players mugs all over posters and getting them to shout; "Cue The Revolution" is intended to advertise the tournament and nothing more. But I think people are getting the wrong impression that Power Snooker is where snooker is headed, when it isn't especially when they are reading comments from the majority of the players in the papers. And some of the idea of 'shorter world championships' came from the World Open, not Power Snooker. But I think Selby was correct to clarify things when it comes to Power Snooker being the future.

Postby GJ

my new schedule is perfect for all snooker fans and players

Postby Wildey

i agree sonny when thinking of scheduling the conclusion other parts of the World must be considered.

Obviously it will be impossible to really consider China Or Australia but Mainland Europe who is a hour ahead of us and 8pm Final is Ludicrous when kids got school and People got work to get to but in Europe that 8pm is 9pm and on ocations during the last few years they had a potential 13 Frames to play starting 9pm.

thats why i said Start it Earlier with Less frames so if there are Frames Carried over it would be 10 or 11 not 13.

Regarding Bank Holiday Monday the BBC Wants to maximize it potential and the figures over the years has shown snooker has been a major Player in The Mondays Audience Share %

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:No change what so ever

no shortening of 1st round

no rest days

absalutly nothing sooner players and fans get that through their heads the more accepting id be to short formats and then we all can enjoy snooker.

I agree with this. I am a little worried that Barry Hearn seems to adopt a 'Shorter Matches Are Better Matches' philosophy. When The World Open came round, we had Davis and Parrot suggesting changes at The Crucible. Why? Shorter formats and longer can co-exist, and people will be a lot more accepting of changes, if the things that don't need changing are left alone.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:i agree sonny when thinking of scheduling the conclusion other parts of the World must be considered.

Obviously it will be impossible to really consider China Or Australia but Mainland Europe who is a hour ahead of us and 8pm Final is Ludicrous when kids got school and People got work to get to but in Europe that 8pm is 9pm and on ocations during the last few years they had a potential 13 Frames to play starting 9pm.

thats why i said Start it Earlier with Less frames so if there are Frames Carried over it would be 10 or 11 not 13.

Regarding Bank Holiday Monday the BBC Wants to maximize it potential and the figures over the years has shown snooker has been a major Player in The Mondays Audience Share %

I see no problem with changing the time. Why does The Crucible final start at 3pm? It could easily start at 1pm or 1:30pm? Maybe they feel the viewing figures don't want their Sunday lunches interrupted, but that's a small concern when you consider the length of the tournament/final. Persoanlly, I'd rather the finals starting earlier and finishing before stupid-o-clock in the morning. We are all capable of having lunch accordingly, even if you are there live at The Crucible.

Other then that, shortening it isn't necessary.

Postby Wildey

Selby Knows This because he is tough but more importantly he as a player wants to be compared with past winners of the World Championship when and if he wins it

Postby Wildey

Dave H said...
Oh and a word on shorter formats being more popular: the BBC's viewing figures for the World Open were down 10% compared with the Grand Prix and they will not be showing it again

Now I enjoyed the World Open a lot and I hope it finds a home on the calendar but it's worth looking at what people actually like rather than getting carried away with all the marketing hype

Cue the revolution: that is promoting proper snooker in a way it deserves and taking the game to those countries that want to see it. Yes, bring in new formats but also remember what it was that attracted people to start with.

Go Dave Go Dave Go Dave <ok>

Postby randam05

Mark selby :bowdown:

dave hendon :bowdown:

I checked the viewing figures and posted them under tv viewings here and they did go down from the grand prix, so shorter formats are less popular obviously and he didnt promote the tournament at all so it wasnt going to bring any new viewers anyway.

Postby Tubberlad

Selby is entirely correct, he's always been a clever player in my eyes and is totally on the ball here.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Yeah don't even suggest it wild. It's a bad idea to shorten any aspect of the Worlds. I like the first round because you get sessions of 9 and up to 10 frames and to stop the winning score reaching double figures that would be a bad move.

The existing format works, there is no requirement to change it. Everything slots together. If anything start it on the first Friday, a day earlier so we in the UK still get a day off work on the Bank Holiday Monday but those in the continent get to see the final finish on Sunday. I don't have a problem with that, plus it would mean a new buzz on the Friday it starts.

Well shortening the first rounds is Selby's proposal and I agree it's a bad one. Shortening those indeed defeat the whole purpose of getting the better player emerge because with a longer format luck plays less of a role. It's important that this stays.
I also don't agree with Higgins proposal to shorten the final to one day. This makes no sense at all if the semis are over 4 sessions.
But I don't see how a day of rest would harm the championship, quite the contrary. And I don't think that reducing both the semis to best of 15 and the final to best of 17 would fundamentally change the results. I would allow for an earlier finish and players being slightly less run down and hence providing better quality snooker. It would still be quite a marathon and highly demanding. And I definitely don't see why it has to end on a Monday thus making difficult for everyone but the Brits.
As I already wrote I have no problem with the format if it could be played over 3 weeks. I would welcome the quarters being one table set up actually. I have a problem with players being so tired they can't deliver. And Selby maybe has forgotten that he was the one complaining that the "luck" of the draw had given Dott some rest while he had a grueling match against ROS and blaming tiredness for his bad first session. Fine. I agree with him, that might well have been it and if it can be avoided I would sign with both hands.
I find it rather preposterous that fans brand players who have done it, and for some of them more than once, "Clowns" and "Whimps". Who are they for passing such judgement? Those are the guys who know what they are talking about, more so than anyone else.

Postby Monique

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... final.html
The Scot (Higgins) is convinced the player who completes his semi-final in the evening session on the day before the final is at a severe disadvantage for the title match.
And his 18-9 demolition of Shaun Murphy in this year's Crucible showpiece match added fresh weight to that argument.
Higgins had an afternoon finish to his match against Mark Allen in the last four. But Murphy, after coming through a gruelling semi-final against Neil Robertson on Saturday evening, was a shadow of the player who had produced devastating snooker in the earlier rounds as he crumbled against Higgins.
Now 33-year-old Higgins claims it would create a more competitive final if both players are given the chance for a breather.
Referring to the duration of the tournament, Higgins said: "It's a long 17 days, of course it is. It might be beneficial to both players if they had a day off before the final.
"[Organisers could] maybe put on a seniors event or something similar which would bring the crowd in, and make it a lot of fun before the big match.
"It's harder for the second semi-final finisher."

Postby Wildey

But That Could be said of whoever played the second semi in the World Open was at a disadvantage someone somewhere has to play the second match thats no reason to change formats. there are 4 sessions pot balls quicker get a session off.

Postby NedB-H

Sonny wrote:Yeah don't even suggest it wild. It's a bad idea to shorten any aspect of the Worlds. I like the first round because you get sessions of 9 and up to 10 frames and to stop the winning score reaching double figures that would be a bad move.

Spot on Sonny.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:But That Could be said of whoever played the second semi in the World Open was at a disadvantage someone somewhere has to play the second match thats no reason to change formats. there are 4 sessions pot balls quicker get a session off.

Don't be ridiculous Wild. 5 frames don't compare to 33 ...

Postby Roland

Yeah well whichever journo wrote that crap is on an agenda. I would gladly challenge William Grey to a snooker match followed by a snooker knowledge quiz and I would thrash him at both. John Higgins was moaning because he knows he's unfit and fears not having the stamina to win another Worlds in the future - self preservation.

And I don't remember Selby ever crying about it and saying the format should be changed just because he lost to Dott after his match against Ronnie which took a lot out of him. It was luck of the draw and you'll never stop luck of the draw helping some to have easier routes through the event. Rest days won't do anything to stop that happening and if anything they will make it unfair on the opponent who has spent less nervous energy than their next opponent in reaching that stage.

Tamper with everything else to your hearts content, just don't touch the World Championships in any way shape or form. Moving the event back one day to start on the Friday doesn't do that - after all that was your initial gripe Monique - the fact that it finishes on a British Bank Holiday Monday which isn't shared across the globe.

Postby Roland

But I don't see how a day of rest would harm the championship, quite the contrary. And I don't think that reducing both the semis to best of 15 and the final to best of 17 would fundamentally change the results.

Sorry, only just seen this. Are you off your rocker? Best of 15 and 17 for the semis and final and the results would be the same? What next - best of 5?

Do you mean first to instead of best of? Even then, why would you even want to shave 4 frames off the semis and 2 frames off the final? What's the point? Why even argue to do it? There is no benefit to the snooker public in shortening the World Championships and the subject should be put to bed. You don't tinker with the crown jewels, period.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:But That Could be said of whoever played the second semi in the World Open was at a disadvantage someone somewhere has to play the second match thats no reason to change formats. there are 4 sessions pot balls quicker get a session off.

that why being World Champion is special short formats and shortening formats is ridiculous to crown someone the best player.

Postby Bourne

I'd be very much in favour of a day's break before a World final, it's the sport's showpiece match ... I guess we've essentially got an argument here between stubborn traditionalists vs people who just want to see a little tweak which would improve the game.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I'd be very much in favour of a day's break before a World final, it's the sport's showpiece match ... I guess we've essentially got an argument here between stubborn traditionalists vs people who just want to see a little tweak which would improve the game.

Day Breaks is for moaning wimps sorry that has sod all to do with tradition rubbish its Fact.

Just get on with it show how much balls you got and win a world championship.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:

i agree monique wild is being rather silly with that stupid comparision

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:I'd be very much in favour of a day's break before a World final, it's the sport's showpiece match ... I guess we've essentially got an argument here between stubborn traditionalists vs people who just want to see a little tweak which would improve the game.

spot on mate 1 rest day is apparently worse than what selby said about changing the amount of frames

<doh>

Postby Roland

A day off before the final = killing the carnival and also using up a valuable weekend day when viewers are more likely to be able to watch. I don't ever ever ever remember anyone complaining about the final starting the day after the two semi-finals ended.

The World Championships is about blood and guts and stamina. It can be no other way and nor should it be any other way.

Postby Wildey

point is on a 1 table set up 1 player would have played after the other so even with a days break 1 player would have got A Longer Break its all relatively speaking just get on with it and show guts to be World Champion.

Postby Bourne

It seems most people would rather 17 days of fading quality rather than 17/18 days with a cracking finish

:-(

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:A day off before the final = killing the carnival and also using up a valuable weekend day when viewers are more likely to be able to watch. I don't ever ever ever remember anyone complaining about the final starting the day after the two semi-finals ended.

The World Championships is about blood and guts and stamina. It can be no other way and nor should it be any other way.

NOT IFYOU START THE WORLDS A DAY EARLIER WHICH HAS HAPPENED BEFORE