Post a reply

RANKERS in Gloucester Nailed-On says Whirlwind

Postby Smart

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 083362.stm

Jimmy White has given his blessing to the facilities at the South West Snooker Academy in Quedgeley near Gloucester, which is now fully open.

White takes on Tony Drago in the first match on the arena table, which also has 361 seats around it for spectators.

"It's absolutely amazing, brilliant conditions, world-class tables there," White told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

"You're going to have some major tournaments in Gloucester, you're going to have some major players there."

The academy opened in June, boasting 12 tables and hosted its inaugural competition, the Pink Ribbon tournament, which was won by Michael Holt and raised £6,300 for breast cancer charities.

It's all part of our agreement to be with Paul Mount - that charity is very important

Jimmy White
Paul Mount, the man behind the academy, lost his sister to breast cancer and is donating all the money the academy makes to cancer charities.

Having beaten cancer himself in the 1990s, White appreciates what Mount - who is also his manager - is doing, with his players wearing pink-backed waist coats.

"I joined the pink army which is a management team with Paul Mount - the guy who built the academy - he manages me plus another 18 players," White added.

"The pink army is the logo to do with the charity and we all wear the logos and it's all part of our agreement to be with Paul Mount - that charity is very important."

The academy will also host event four on the Euro Players Tour Championship from 29 to 31 October, after the event was switched from a venue in Germany.

Re: RANKERS in Gloucester Nailed-On says Whirlwind

Postby SnookerFan

In a forum full of males somebody is going to make a joke about nailing Michaela in that dress, but I'll leave that to Wild. It did look like a quality arena, to be fair. May give it a visit if they have real ranker there. :D