Post a reply

Re: Century Record in a season

Postby Wildey

thanks to some influence from another site that interfered in this thread its gone slightly off topic now.

yes or no is all was asked for :redneck:

Postby Witz78

i think those suggesting that any decent young player starting out now can achieve 1000 centuries in their career are way off the mark.

Hendrys been around and among the elite for 25 years, a decade of which was spent at the top of the game and hes only on 750-ish (i think) and take Ronnie the most gifted player of his generation who can breakbuild for fun and has been around for almost 20 years and hes only on just over 600, so if these guys cant manage it, whats to suggest than any old player will be able to do it in the future.

Yes there may be more events on the horizon again, what with the PTC this season for starters, but dont forget that back in the late 80s and 90s there were plenty more playing opportunities than theres laterlly been too.

Postby Eirebilly

I think that Hendrys record of 53 in a season will eventually be beaten but not this season. Its till an amazing total so far from Selby though <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:i think those suggesting that any decent young player starting out now can achieve 1000 centuries in their career are way off the mark.

Hendrys been around and among the elite for 25 years, a decade of which was spent at the top of the game and hes only on 750-ish (i think) and take Ronnie the most gifted player of his generation who can breakbuild for fun and has been around for almost 20 years and hes only on just over 600, so if these guys cant manage it, whats to suggest than any old player will be able to do it in the future.

Yes there may be more events on the horizon again, what with the PTC this season for starters, but dont forget that back in the late 80s and 90s there were plenty more playing opportunities than theres laterlly been too.

no there wasent in the early 90s there was roughly around 20 tournaments between ranking and invitationals.

this season there's about 23 if you count the PL so its something similar.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:i think those suggesting that any decent young player starting out now can achieve 1000 centuries in their career are way off the mark.

no there wasent in the early 90s there was roughly around 20 tournaments between ranking and invitationals.

<ok> yeh i meant back then it was similar to todays number, but i didnt explain it very good <doh>

Postby Wildey

But today as a pose to then you had to be top 8 to be invited to everything so players ranked below top 20 had maximum of 8 To 10 Ranking Tournament a season.

Today they got 19 Minimum.

Postby sundaygirl

wildJONESEYE wrote:thanks to some influence from another site that interfered in this thread its gone slightly off topic now.

yes or no is all was asked for :redneck:

I've been thinking about this and have decided yes. I don't think he will beat it by many just one maybe but I think Mark Selby is a person who cares about stats like this. I'm sure he is very aware of what the record is.
( if you just wanted a yes/no answer you should have put a poll up )

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:But today as a pose to then you had to be top 8 to be invited to everything so players ranked below top 20 had maximum of 8 To 10 Ranking Tournament a season.

Today they got 19 Minimum.

thats true.

i remember years ago on 606 i did an article on the number of ranking and non ranking events season by season, it made for interesting reading.

Going out to play my snooker league game shortly, might make a start on that later on as ive not done a stats thread in a wee while <cool>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

<ok> yeh i meant back then it was similar to todays number, but i didnt explain it very good <doh>

The conditions in the 80's were not as good though to break-build in. Also for the last 6 years or so Hendry and Ronnie have had around 9/10 tournaments to play in. If the 20+tournaments was constant they both would have had alot more.

I think we should be able to tell better by the end of the season but if top players are going to average 60 or 70 centuries a season then 900/1000 centuries will be well on.

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

The conditions in the 80's were not as good though to break-build in. Also for the last 6 years or so Hendry and Ronnie have had around 9/10 tournaments to play in. If the 20+tournaments was constant they both would have had alot more.

I think we should be able to tell better by the end of the season but if top players are going to average 60 or 70 tournaments a season then 900/1000 centuries will be well on.

1000 / ((60+70)/2) = 15.3846

That calculation blows your theory out of the water im afraid.

1 - The all time high in a season is 53 by (one of the) greatest players of all time Hendry, so it remains to be seen whether this will be beaten firstly.

2- The top player this season may get 60-70 centuries but thats the TOP player, so for someone to realistically reach the 1,000 target they would need to achieve this century making excellence and consistency for 15.3846 seasons to reach 1,000 centuries.

Postby Wildey

in the 80s it was take the lose reds play safe on 40 some safety exchange and clear up .

it was a different game a different way to play the game Stephen made 100 centuries against that and guess what seifer said they started using super fast cloths since 1985 yes thats right the season Hendry turned Pro <laugh>

Postby Wildey

i think the only player with a realistic chance to beat the hendry tally is Ronnie but he will have to really aply himself to PTC to do it and now there is enough tournaments there for Ronnie to do it but its one of thoes records i don't think he is that fussed about.

Personally i dont think the winner of ptc has been making that many to be honest.

Ding a fantastic break-builder one of the best ever made only 1 in winning 28 frames last weekend.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

I think we should be able to tell better by the end of the season but if top players are going to average 60 or 70 tournaments a season then 900/1000 centuries will be well on.

1000 / ((60+70)/2) = 15.3846

That calculation blows your theory out of the water im afraid.

1 - The all time high in a season is 53 by (one of the) greatest players of all time Hendry, so it remains to be seen whether this will be beaten firstly.

2- The top player this season may get 60-70 centuries but thats the TOP player, so for someone to realistically reach the 1,000 target they would need to achieve this century making excellence and consistency for 15.3846 seasons to reach 1,000 centuries.[/quote]

Selby is on 26 with 5 PTC's + grand final left to play. He has the long frame matches such as UK and Worlds to come, 3 other rankers, Championship league and PL.

Ding is younger and is a better example - he is 23 and on 181. If he averages 60 a season he could do it in 13 years from now (36) Also remember the hope is to add more tournaments to the calender giving an even better chance.

However at this stage 1000 may be a long shot but several players reaching the 700/800 mark is well on.

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:Will Hendry make 800 before he retires ?

i think he will need another 7 or 8 years to reach 800

Postby Casey

sundaygirl wrote:Will Hendry make 800 before he retires ?

No, he's too far gone imo.

Postby Eirebilly

It will be difficult for Hendry to get to the 800 mark, not impossible but difficult.

As for Ronnie getting more century's thand Hendry? That i doubt as well as Ronnie seems to be going down hill somewhat.

Postby Witz78

eirebilly wrote:It will be difficult for Hendry to get to the 800 mark, not impossible but difficult.

As for Ronnie getting more century's thand Hendry? That i doubt as well as Ronnie seems to be going down hill somewhat.

Yes Ronnie is going down but at least he has his foot on the brake pedal.

Hendry has fell asleep at the wheel rofl

Postby GJ

is this thread still going

:zzz:

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:is this thread still going

:zzz:

its a question like every other thread.

will this and that win x tournament this season etc etc no big deal why do people got to make a fuss over a thread is beiond me <doh>
Last edited by Wildey on 13 Oct 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

ITS A SEIFER STYLE THREAD IM SICK OF STATS THREADS

:zzz: :bs:

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:ITS A SEIFER STYLE THREAD IM SICK OF STATS THREADS

:zzz: :bs:

its not a stat thread

saying 6 win out of 6 finals is a stat ..... its asking a question with more tournament is it possible to get to 60 or 70 etc.