Post a reply

Re: Snooker TV Viewings...

Postby Lucky

Not fully dropped, but DEFINATELY classed as expendable, dropped for stuff like glastonbury, big weekend, F1 practice......its a slippery slope, Wild will probably come back with Moto GP is marmite, but it was a bit of a jewel in the BBC schedule. Snooker held its own against most things, and saying that time has changed, more channels etc. is burying your head in the sand, snooker has to stand out NOW in the present, real world. Power Snooker and the shootout are a step in the right direction, maybe not for the purist, but if they want to continue watching top level snooker, the purists are gonna have to get off their high horse and except that the shorter formats are the future and saviour of THEIR sport, and not the anti-christ they'd like to think <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Lucky balls wrote:Power Snooker and the shootout are a step in the right direction, maybe not for the purist, but if they want to continue watching top level snooker, the purists are gonna have to get off their high horse and except that the shorter formats are the future and saviour of THEIR sport, and not the anti-christ they'd like to think

I think a lot of that is true. Now, I've got to admit I thought Power Snooker was rubbish, but in terms of bringing in new fans, I think it would have a much better shot than another standard best-of-9 tournament. I'm not saying I would value gimmick tournaments more, I just think that new things need to be tried.

I loved the World Open format, but would not like to see it become the norm. But again, I think it did more for snooker than a standard ranker.

Postby Lucky

LeBourne wrote:http://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=433

Definitely <ok>

Don't drop one now dude........you've set yourself up as the grammar king ;)

Big pressure on now <ok>

Postby randam05

Ill do viewings for anything if anyone likes..then just ask. Not a problem for me. :)

Postby Wildey

Lucky balls wrote:Not fully dropped, but DEFINATELY classed as expendable, dropped for stuff like glastonbury, big weekend, F1 practice......its a slippery slope, Wild will probably come back with Moto GP is marmite, but it was a bit of a jewel in the BBC schedule. Snooker held its own against most things, and saying that time has changed, more channels etc. is burying your head in the sand, snooker has to stand out NOW in the present, real world. Power Snooker and the shootout are a step in the right direction, maybe not for the purist, but if they want to continue watching top level snooker, the purists are gonna have to get off their high horse and except that the shorter formats are the future and saviour of THEIR sport, and not the anti-christ they'd like to think <ok>

absalutly bucking tosh

power snooker will be dead and buried next season and shoot out wont be far behind it while the real game will flourish.

Power Snooker is not the Future this time next year we will be asking what the buck was that rubbish about.

yes there needs to be rethink but FFS Darts not changed rubbish in 30 years but its got better with the right people running it and promoting it snookers only chance is to stand firm and build on the real sport just like Darts has.

Darts if anything has gone Longer with Best of 13 Finals and best of 11 Semis etc thats the future for tournaments like the UK not this reduction crap.

Postby Wildey

BTW Lucky no offence you obviously think your right and thats your opinion and your right to express it <ok> despite it being totally off the Mark and Wrong <ok>

Postby Witz78

Darts has variety in tournaments.

Traditional formats for the World Championships but the following variances for different tournaments to give them an identity.

Leg play instead of sets
Starting on a double
Group stages

to name but a few!!

Snooker needs innovation and like it or hate it shot clocks, and other "gimmicks" are going to be part of snookers future. Hearn knows what has to be done, lots of similar tournaments will be the death knell of snooker, hence theres already been changes with the Grand Prix becoming the World Open, the Welsh Open format changing, and the new tournaments Power Snooker and the Sky Shootout springing up.

What i also want to see next season is a ranker on a format like this.

6 reds snooker with games played in sets and frames. Best of 5 sets with 3 frames in each set.

I think it would spice things up and be dramatic.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Darts has variety in tournaments.

Traditional formats for the World Championships but the following variances for different tournaments to give them an identity.

Leg play instead of sets
Starting on a double
Group stages

to name but a few!!

Snooker needs innovation and like it or hate it shot clocks, and other "gimmicks" are going to be part of snookers future. Hearn knows what has to be done, lots of similar tournaments will be the death knell of snooker, hence theres already been changes with the Grand Prix becoming the World Open, the Welsh Open format changing, and the new tournaments Power Snooker and the Sky Shootout springing up.

What i also want to see next season is a ranker on a format like this.

6 reds snooker with games played in sets and frames. Best of 5 sets with 3 frames in each set.

I think it would spice things up and be dramatic.

Shot Clocks are old hat boring rubbish that needs binning.

We need more Long tournaments

No 6 red crappy rubbish in snooker EVER never mind making it a bloody Ranker ffs <doh> Totally Boring innovations

your barking up the Wrong Tree as per usual when has Darts has a 301 Pro Leg ???????

Tubber sets thing in Snooker is a good innovation Shot Clocks and that rubbish bores me rigid and wont atract rubbish to the sport.

Postby Wildey

on that note im off to bed let witz talk rubbish all night ill tell him what a sausage he is in the morning <ok>

Good Night plank

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:on that note im off to bed let witz talk rubbish all night ill tell him what a sausage he is in the morning <ok>

Good Night plank

:spam:

Postby Tubberlad

WItz you make a good point with certain things, I've been placing an emphasis on variety for a good while.

What I'd like to see:

A ranking tournament with sets. Each set best of three frames. Best of three sets up till semi-final, final best of seven sets.

A matchplay tournament. First to four frames up until semi-finals, must win by two but a max of 11 frames to be played. Final first to seven with a max of 17 frames.

A few events like shoot-out & power snooker to draw in new fans, but of course non ranking.

Postby Witz78

WItz you make a good point with certain things, :clap: I've been placing an emphasis on variety for a good while.

What I'd like to see:

A ranking tournament with sets. Each set best of three frames. Best of three sets up till semi-final, final best of seven sets. <ok> I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT

A matchplay tournament. First to four frames up until semi-finals, must win by two but a max of 11 frames to be played. Final first to seven with a max of 17 frames. SO YOU JUST PLAY A DECIDING 11TH FRAME?? ID PROB RATHER MAKE IT FIRST TO 4 AND BEST OF 10 AND IF IT ENDS 5-5 HAVE A FOOTBALL PENALTY SHOOT OUT STYLE WITH ALTERNATE ATTEMPTS WITH BALL IN THE D AND PLAYERS HAVING TO POT A BLUE OFF ITS SPOT INTO ONE OF THE TOP POCKETS. WOULD MAKE FOR GREAT DRAMA AND TEST THE NERVES.

A few events like shoot-out & power snooker to draw in new fans, but of course non ranking. WHY NOT RANKING, EVEN AT LOWER POINTS??? SEEMS TO ME MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE EITHER ANTI THESE TYPES OF FORMATS ITS SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR FAVOURITE PLAYERS SUPPOSEDLY ARENT SUITED TO
THIS FORMAT :chin:

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:WItz you make a good point with certain things, :clap: I've been placing an emphasis on variety for a good while.

What I'd like to see:

A ranking tournament with sets. Each set best of three frames. Best of three sets up till semi-final, final best of seven sets. <ok> I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT

A matchplay tournament. First to four frames up until semi-finals, must win by two but a max of 11 frames to be played. Final first to seven with a max of 17 frames. SO YOU JUST PLAY A DECIDING 11TH FRAME?? ID PROB RATHER MAKE IT FIRST TO 4 AND BEST OF 10 AND IF IT ENDS 5-5 HAVE A FOOTBALL PENALTY SHOOT OUT STYLE WITH ALTERNATE ATTEMPTS WITH BALL IN THE D AND PLAYERS HAVING TO POT A BLUE OFF ITS SPOT INTO ONE OF THE TOP POCKETS. WOULD MAKE FOR GREAT DRAMA AND TEST THE NERVES.

A few events like shoot-out & power snooker to draw in new fans, but of course non ranking. WHY NOT RANKING, EVEN AT LOWER POINTS??? SEEMS TO ME MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE EITHER ANTI THESE TYPES OF FORMATS ITS SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR FAVOURITE PLAYERS SUPPOSEDLY ARENT SUITED TO
THIS FORMAT :chin:

The sets idea is almost universally popular, with the exception of the ultra-traditional Smart <laugh> I'm not sure why though as it doesn't interfere with the game of snooker at all itself. It's still 100% snooker.

That shoot-out idea is one I haven't heard of before, but is strangely interesting :chin: I'm not sure...

But as for that last idea, absolutely no way would I want to see ranking points for rubbish like that. My favourite player is probably Ronnie, and would dish up in events like that, but it would make me sick to see points for it. :emu:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

wildJONESEYE wrote:We need more Long tournaments

They can't even one of the two long formats right, how are they going to be able to manage more long formats? People sometimes claim that in the 80's Snooker was huge because of the long formats but if you look back even then there were only two Long Format events (briefly three when the World Matchplay was on) and most events were best of nine. The only change with the UK Championship is the final. The other ranking events used to have best of 17 semis but that was in an era of mainly highlights rather than live coverage. The three session finals were gone by 1990. Overall there has been little change in the lenght of matches.

During the 2009 WC I used to read a TV Ratings thread on the Digital Spy forum. Every day Snooker seemed to be down 10% on the 2008 number and more worryingly was about 25% down on what BBC2 normally got in that time.

Postby Wildey

TUBBER

Witz gets buck ALL Right.

ill tell you whats Damaging for Snooker its bucking idiotic Fans like him wanting Change who the bloody hell wants to be interested in a sport where die hard fans calling for change not just change to tournament formats but to the fundimental game.

Power Snooker is not a replacement for Snooker however its been portrayed as that by the Media and therefore its Damaging the game.

this been going on now for 2 or 3 years with 6 reds first then something else something else something else.

Whats been Wrong with Snooker is sod all to do with the GAME on the Table its to do with the way its been mismanaged for Years and Years and yet people are to THICK To understand that and are constantly wanting bucking change to Shorter this shorter that Shot rubbish this shot rubbish that 6 Red bullocks and Power Rubbish.

There does need variety in tournaments however the Game itself should not be messed with thats sending out wrong signals and message to potential fans.

Postby GJ

powers snooker is crap

Postby Wildey

i just want to point 1 other thing out

if they had come up with Power Snooker or Gimmicks during the Early to mid 90s it would have been positive however now its Negative and looks desperate by the sport which is not cool at all.

Snooker needs to address problems im sorry but these days the likes of power snooker will just add to the problems.

Postby Lucky

Wild, as someone who said something along the lines of "I'd rather snooker die and remember it how it was, than to have it ruined" then your rather selfish opinions count you out of any discussion on this subject. It must be obvious that the members of a snooker forum aren't the problem, we'll watch snooker whatever, pressing the red button isnt a big deal. BUT to sponsors and players who need to make a living, the sport being hidden away with gymnastics, table tennis and rhythmic gymnastics on an interactive service which dwindled to half its size last year for the vast majority on freeview....then it becomes an issue. No one will force you to watch any of the new forms of the game, but if it helps to support the 'proper' ranking tour I cant for the life of me understand why you'd be against it????

Postby Wildey

Lucky balls wrote:Wild, as someone who said something along the lines of "I'd rather snooker die and remember it how it was, than to have it ruined" then your rather selfish opinions count you out of any discussion on this subject. It must be obvious that the members of a snooker forum aren't the problem, we'll watch snooker whatever, pressing the red button isnt a big deal. BUT to sponsors and players who need to make a living, the sport being hidden away with gymnastics, table tennis and rhythmic gymnastics on an interactive service which dwindled to half its size last year for the vast majority on freeview....then it becomes an issue. No one will force you to watch any of the new forms of the game, but if it helps to support the 'proper' ranking tour I cant for the life of me understand why you'd be against it????

how will it help ??????????/

showing a different game help proper ranking tour

what next show tennis to promote badminton <doh>

ohhhh and another thing theres more hours of Snooker on Terestrial TV than any other sport.

this week in the masters theres about 36 hours it is more but ive kept it to live coverage thats the equivalent to about 15 Football matches so no snooker isnt hidden away.
Last edited by Wildey on 09 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

im up for new ideas but they got to be positive and helpful these ideas regarding shot rubbish and power snooker is not

Postby randam05

Didnt want this to turn into a debate on long formats vs short formats :(

Postby wheelsofsteel

randam05 wrote:Last years darts world champ:

2009 WORLD DARTS BBC2(SUN 17:50) 3.090 million

Saying something? sorry for proving wrong wild.

Never let minor details like fact and truth get in the way of what you believe in - even if that is only in your own head

Postby sundaygirl

randam05 wrote:Ill do viewings for anything if anyone likes..then just ask. Not a problem for me. :)

Randam do you know the viewing figures for the Sky Shootout yet?

Postby randam05

sundaygirl wrote:
randam05 wrote:Ill do viewings for anything if anyone likes..then just ask. Not a problem for me. :)

Not yet sorry..will post up soon as i know. :)

Postby wheelsofsteel

randam05 wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:

Not yet sorry..will post up soon as i know. :)

Friday 113,854

Saturday (after the Jimmy Michie story came to light) 23,963, 034

Postby randam05

Sundaygirl...

Sky sports2

LIVE WORLD SNOOKER SHOOT OUT (SUN 19.00) 172,000
LIVE WORLD SNOOKER SHOOT OUT (SAT 12.00) 95,000
LIVE WORLD SNOOKER SHOOT OUT (SAT 18.00) 90,000
LIVE WORLD SNOOKER SHOOT OUT (SUN 14.00) 73,000

:)

Postby wheelsofsteel

randam05 wrote:Sundaygirl...

Sky sports2

And Friday?

Don't tell me I was close with 113,000 :roll:

Postby randam05

wheelsofsteel wrote:
randam05 wrote:Sundaygirl...

Sky sports2

And Friday?

Don't tell me I was close with 113,000 :roll:

Didnt come in top ten..so im not sure, but that was expected, just look how the tournament grew in interest as it went on-ish..very interesting, would like to see the viewings if it went on for a few more days.