Post a reply

Re: Snooker TV Viewings...

Postby randam05

NedB-H wrote:
randam05 wrote:No problem, anytime. I agree with what you saying but I dont think its anything to do with less interesting finals because the times those figures were all taken is as SOON as the final session comes on, for example when it begins at 8.00pm they take the viewings of that channel at exactly 8.00pm so people wouldnt know it would be boring.

I cannot think of an actual reason except for in 1999 there was barely any channels compared to 2008.

But yes its decreasing almost half a million each year from 08. Interesting to see what happens in this seasons worlds.

True but the last three finals have also had at least one fairly dull player and/or been not very close going into Monday evening. I'd make a prediction for this season's final, if it's between any two of Hendry, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Robbo, Williams, Ding, Selby, Allen, Stevens, Wenbo or Trump, then there'll be over 3mil viewers on Monday evening. If one or both the finalists is from outside that group, there'll be below 3mil viewers.

Hmm i suppose. Dott, carter but murphy or higgins boring?

We will see what happens.

Postby Monique

but misleading. Are those stats takng into account viewers on Eurosport, Chinese channels and streaming?
And in 1999 the viewers had a lot less choices as well.

Postby randam05

Monique wrote:but misleading. Are those stats takng into account viewers on Eurosport, Chinese channels and streaming?
And in 1999 the viewers had a lot less choices as well.

No that is from bbc2 as stated. I can add eurosport on too if you like and possibly some chinese channels, but this is just from UK. Eursport gets under 100 000 though so not really worth it.

If youd like to know any tournaments or any programmes at all viewings on any channel from 1999 onwards, just ask <ok>

Postby Monique

I would be extremely surprised if Eurosport all over Europe was under 100 000. It's not just UK you know...

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:I would be extremely surprised if Eurosport all over Europe was under 100 000. It's not just UK you know...

Yes, but if we're taking into account UK viewership adding who is watching on the continent or in China is also misleading.

Sometimes I have watched on Eurosport instead of pressing the red button, and also have watched it on the internet if I've wanted to be doing something in my room also. So the figures are misleading to an extent, but factoring in who is watching in China and Germany in a poll of the UKs viewing habits will bastardise the figures more.

Postby Wildey

Fact is no matter what figures are used Snooker is Growing as a TV Sport across the World ....ive spoken with people on forums that did not know Snooker Existed before 2005/2006.

Postby randam05

Right Ive got the figures for the final of the world open at 8.00pm sunday night.

Will put up later, but would like people to have a guess first.

Postby Eirebilly

I have no idea as to the figures that watch on Eurosport but could well imagine that its high. In Belgium, Holland and Germany the game is taking off and there are new snooker clubs opening up everywhere. I also know that in Poland, Spain and Portugal its also becoming popular thanks to the coverage on eurosport <ok>

Postby randam05

World Open final viewers

BBC2 - SNOOKER WORLD OPEN (SUN 20:00) 1.550

Eurosport - SNOOKER WORLD OPEN (SUN 20:00) 93,000

I dont know what countries eurosport covers on the tv viewings site at all, sorry.

Postby randam05

Very dissapointed it only recieved 1.550 million viewers, lower than the grand prix last year. I mean i know they did this to get more viewers and its only got less, I didnt expect it to gain many more but gaining less is very bad, do you reckon it will be bbc televised next season?

Postby randam05

Proves a point that trying to attract new viewers without PROMOTION by making shorter matches, doesnt gain any new viewers but only loses exisiting viewers..

Postby Eirebilly

What the BBC numbers may miss though is the viewers in europe. In Holland, Belguim and certain parts of Germany we also get bbc free to air.

Postby randam05

But..I have taken the grand prix figures from last year from just the UK too, so I understand what you saying, but whateverever the way, it has still lost viewers, when its aim was to gain more and young ones.

Postby Eirebilly

It certainly does paint a sad picture ramdam. I do think that snooker is getting bigger and bigger in Europe though so this could be the calm before the storm. Well i hope so anyway

Postby randam05

Hmm yes lets hope so, im looking forward to this years world championship viewers, to see if it decreases yet again.

Postby Eirebilly

It will be interesting to see them. I really am hoping for and improvement in the figures. Surely the sponsors will also be keeping a close eye on them.

Postby randam05

yes same, if there isnt an improvement it will be a large dissapointment. I am expecting an increase in viewers, half a million wouldnt be to ambitious.

Postby Eirebilly

half a million would be the minimum i feel. Last weekends tournement in Belgium certainly attracted new fans so eurosports figures may increase.

Postby randam05

Something I did find interesting is that the 2010 masters final gained more viewers than 2010 world championship final. Interesting to see if the same this season.

Postby Eirebilly

I do get the feeling that the snooker is not as publicised as it should be. If more attention to it was made on the BBC site then it might generate a bit more interest in the casual fan.

Postby randam05

Leads back to my point on snooker isnt promoted enough if at all to the general public. Its certainly the most important thing and hearny isnt even looking at it.

Postby Eirebilly

I think Mr Hearn is aware of this and i am sure that he will take action. He is a seasoned promotor and with so much of his own money tied into this he is sure to start promoting soon.

Postby randam05

Sure hope so. Snooker is in a slow process of building up its reputation.

Postby Eirebilly

Mr Hearn needs to be given time to fully asses the situation and make the appropriate choices. There is not a doubt in my mind that he will make the right choices. These things will take time, right now i like what Mr Hearn is doing just as long as he doesnt mess with the majors :)

Postby randam05

eirebilly wrote:Mr Hearn needs to be given time to fully asses the situation and make the appropriate choices. There is not a doubt in my mind that he will make the right choices. These things will take time, right now i like what Mr Hearn is doing just as long as he doesnt mess with the majors :)

:clap: