Post a reply

Re: Ronnie's aftermath of the 140-147 incident

Postby Sickpotter

Bourne wrote:Yes I think it's sad that some people want Ronnie to just be a boring man who sits in his chair nicely with his top button done up and only speaks when he's spoken too. He is what he is, just accept it IMO

No one wants what you've described but I don't think it's too much to ask that he respect the game and the fans.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

So what Sonny, we get to a level where making a 147 doesn't matter anymore, just because its him?

The guy doesn't love the game, its all about him that matters.

If we've got the the best player that has ever picked up a cue, playing the game on national TV, with that comes a certain responsibility. Giving the fella leverage like "It was his break, if he wants to leave the last black it's up to him not anybody else. " is pony talk. Your bowing down to someone who couldn't give a flying buck about the game. Let him walk from the game, let him be found guilty for bringing the game into disrepute, because that's what he's done. Where will his disrespect end?

Random. IMHO Ronnie is pure quality, along with Mark Williams, John Higgins, with Neil Robertson, Mark Selby & Shaun Murphy in the chasing pack. I've seen fella's play the game come from a worse background than Ronnie (Jimmy for example) but hold themselves together a lot better when under the spotlight, than Ronnie has.

Lets keep our feet on the ground here.

By the by. Alex has passed, he done his deeds, bless him. Ronnie is still about. Big diffo.

Now, instead of practicing, I'm going out drinking, so I'll leave you with this beautiful tune my Snooker loving friends....

Dire Straits, Sultans. :dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2nQZPC2uTs

Postby Bourne

He's just given the fans one of the most dramatic frames in recent memory. As tgntg said, regardless of whether he potted the last black or not, some of the shotmaking throughout the break was superb in anyone's book.

Postby Noel

sickpotter wrote:
Bourne wrote:Yes I think it's sad that some people want Ronnie to just be a boring man who sits in his chair nicely with his top button done up and only speaks when he's spoken too. He is what he is, just accept it IMO

No one wants what you've described but I don't think it's too much to ask that he respect the game and the fans.

Rob... I understand that a lot of people think he's out of order often. I do too.
But I don't want the Golden Goose to STFU and stop laying eggs.

O'Sullivan is the only player who can sell-out a venue... is that because he "disrespects" his fans?
I call "match-fixing" disrespect for the game... not showmanship mate.
Snooker would have been on life support for a decade had it not been for The Rocket.

Do a comparative websearch or YouTube search on "Snooker" and check how many times "O'Sullivan" pops up.
That's what I'm talkin' about.

He earned his celebrity. As recently as yesterday.

=o)

Noel

Postby randam05

Bourne wrote:He's just given the fans one of the most dramatic frames in recent memory. As tgntg said, regardless of whether he potted the last black or not, some of the shotmaking throughout the break was superb in anyone's book.

<ok>

Postby randam05

Noel wrote:
sickpotter wrote:

Rob... I understand that a lot of people think he's out of order often. I do too.
But I don't want the Golden Goose to STFU and stop laying eggs.

O'Sullivan is the only player who can sell-out a venue... is that because he "disrespects" his fans?
I call "match-fixing" disrespect for the game... not showmanship mate.
Snooker would have been on life support for a decade had it not been for The Rocket.

Do a comparative websearch or YouTube search on "Snooker" and check how many times "O'Sullivan" pops up.
That's what I'm talkin' about.

He earned his celebrity. As recently as yesterday.

=o)

Noel

<ok> <ok> <ok>

Postby Iranu

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
By the by. Alex has passed, he done his deeds, bless him. Ronnie is still about. Big diffo.

The only difference is that Higgins died without atoning for the misdemeanors and Ronnie hasn't (yet... ). The fact that he's dead shouldn't excuse Higgin's behaviour when he was alive, and indeed if his behaviour was better when he was alive he probably wouldn't be dead right now.

Also, having read the article it doesn't seem to me like Ronnie was threatening to quit again, he was just saying he'd be happy to if it came to that.

And I'm not someone who will defend Ronnie to the hilt, I think he was being an bottom for no good reason yesterday.

Postby Roland

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:So what Sonny, we get to a level where making a 147 doesn't matter anymore, just because its him?

The guy doesn't love the game, its all about him that matters.

If we've got the the best player that has ever picked up a cue, playing the game on national TV, with that comes a certain responsibility. Giving the fella leverage like "It was his break, if he wants to leave the last black it's up to him not anybody else. " is pony talk. Your bowing down to someone who couldn't give a flying buck about the game. Let him walk from the game, let him be found guilty for bringing the game into disrepute, because that's what he's done. Where will his disrespect end?

I'm not bowing down to him, I can understand how some people would think it cool, rock star style. It's the sort of thing Axl Rose or Liam Gallagher would do if they were an exceptionally talented snooker player. Axl Rose and Ronnie have more in common than I realised now I think about it. <laugh>

My point is no matter what you think of him in walking away from a 147, it's the sort of thing which will be talked about for years to come whereas had he just got the 147 in normal style it wouldn't have stood out and people wouldn't still be talking about it.

He says a lot of things I criticise him for, like recently making out Power Snooker is the new snooker and that the current game is stuck in the 1970's. That's clearly bull and he sounds like an idiot in coming out with such things. My comment about it being his break and being up to him is much the same as the way Mark Williams will get to 70+ and start playing exhibition shots instead of concentrating on the century break. If you told Mark Williams he should stop doing that and concentrate more on century breaks he would probably tell you to buck off and mind your own business.

Postby Sickpotter

How long will ROS keep playing for sellout crowds when he tells the fans he could care less about them?

I liked his showmanship and play, it was brilliant no doubt :bowdown:

BUT.....

to be making like a 147 isn't any kind of achievement disrespects the game and all who play it, especially those who have never reached that magic number.

To tell all who've paid to watch you play you don't care about them is disrespectful, it's fans of the sport that has allowed ROS to be doing something other than flipping burgers.

Ronnie has given us all the big :bird: and some just smile and say that's fine. I disagree, his attitude is pure :bs:

Postby GJ

sickpotter wrote:How long will ROS keep playing for sellout crowds when he tells the fans he could care less about them?

I liked his showmanship and play, it was brilliant no doubt :bowdown:

BUT.....

to be making like a 147 isn't any kind of achievement disrespects the game and all who play it, especially those who have never reached that magic number.

To tell all who've paid to watch you play you don't care about them is disrespectful, it's fans of the sport that has allowed ROS to be doing something other than flipping burgers.

Ronnie has given us all the big :bird: and some just smile and say that's fine. I disagree, his attitude is pure :bs:

couldnt agree more <ok>

Postby Bourne

If I was in the arena yesterday to witness it, i'd be going home thinking i've had more than my money's worth. You speak as if the audience have some sort of right for the player to make a 147, whether the player likes it or not, BS. He'd already won the frame a few minutes earlier, he's under no obligation to keep pulling out great shot after great shot after getting past the winning line but he still did. The audience got their money's worth and more, so to say he's shortchanged us is mindboggling.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Where did he actually say he didn't care about the fans? I'm yet to see that quote.

it was in the live interview after the match

Postby Smart

I thought the quote was he did not care about 147s "cos he had done so many".

If I'd been there and he had not potted the black I would of been gutted, that is purely my view, based on the fact I have never seen one live in the arena. It is not my right to see one, but having made the effort to be there, having paid their dues, then the least the fans deserve is for both players to play to their best and refusing a 147 is clearly not doing that.

Anyway, storm in a tea-cup now, but I do feel that ROS is pushing the wrong buttons and more and more people have really had a guts full of the antics now. If he wants to complain about lack of money in the game, do it face to face with BH. Integrity of the sport is bang in the spotlight - we do not need any other marmite right now. :wave:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Exactly, it was showmanship. We should enjoy it, not moan.

how he was in the arena i have no problem with thats ok with me what i dont like is the negativity he Projects in Interviews.

hes just done a 147 and he couldnt care less and projects that how is that good for the game he should be selling the sport in interviews and hes not doing it ......

People compare him to Alex Higgins but god he could Sell the sport Ronnie just doesn't care rubbish about it just what he can get from it or thats the Message he Projects.

those Frames dont come along that often you need players like Ronnie to make scrappy frames sound exciting in interviews but he doesn't Alex Higgins did.

Postby Bourne

When you're as good as he is wild, 147s are a bonus, they're nothing like winning titles. Robbo said himself in the BBC interview that he's not bothering to count anymore. I think he would have potted the last black even if Jan didn't ask him too but we'll never know but I think many people just want to hang him for even the slightest things so this is just a good excuse.

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:When you're as good as he is wild, 147s are a bonus, they're nothing like winning titles. Robbo said himself in the BBC interview that he's not bothering to count anymore. I think he would have potted the last black even if Jan didn't ask him too but we'll never know but I think many people just want to hang him for even the slightest things so this is just a good excuse.

ROS-bummer <ok>

Iranu wrote:

The only difference is that Higgins died without atoning for the misdemeanors and Ronnie hasn't (yet... ).

What you got in mind?

Postby Tubberlad

How can you guys take a comment by this guy seriously? How many of us actually understand his condition? Statements like 'how can he be so miserable when you're so talented succesful, loaded, good looking' do my head in. It means nothing if your mind ain't right. Some people deal with it well. Some don't. It's easy to talk when you don't have to deal with such demons day in, day out. I'm not a sad young fella trying to stand up for his every move, but I respect him, for all his faults. John, do you HONESTLY believe that he doesn't care about the game? I think he's consumed by it, it's his passion. To such a degree that it damages him. He pretends to hate it. I'm dismayed when I hear him say he doesn't care about fans, but I don't believe it for a second. I think the only thing that obsesses him as much as snooker is producing perfection for fans. Look at that break: incredible. He's a one off. We will never see that kind of snooker when he's gone, and the sooner some realise that the better.

thetubberlad wrote:John, do you HONESTLY believe that he doesn't care about the game?

Do you honestly believe that he does? What makes you think he's sincere? Met someone like him B4?

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:John, do you HONESTLY believe that he doesn't care about the game?

Do you honestly believe that he does? What makes you think he's sincere? Met someone like him B4?

he doesnt need the money yet he continues to play on (despite his repeated threats to retire)

and its not like you can counter that by saying hes only in it to win titles now, thats clearly never been a high priority either for him.

Witz78 wrote:

he doesnt need the money yet he continues to play on (despite his repeated threats to retire)

and its not like you can counter that by saying hes only in it to win titles now, thats clearly never been a high priority either for him.

I don't understand your riddle Witz? <doh>

<laugh>

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:

I don't understand your riddle Witz? <doh>

<laugh>

no one understands witz <ok>

Postby Monique

thetubberlad wrote:How can you guys take a comment by this guy seriously? How many of us actually understand his condition? Statements like 'how can he be so miserable when you're so talented succesful, loaded, good looking' do my head in. It means nothing if your mind ain't right. Some people deal with it well. Some don't. It's easy to talk when you don't have to deal with such demons day in, day out. I'm not a sad young fella trying to stand up for his every move, but I respect him, for all his faults. John, do you HONESTLY believe that he doesn't care about the game? I think he's consumed by it, it's his passion. To such a degree that it damages him. He pretends to hate it. I'm dismayed when I hear him say he doesn't care about fans, but I don't believe it for a second. I think the only thing that obsesses him as much as snooker is producing perfection for fans. Look at that break: incredible. He's a one off. We will never see that kind of snooker when he's gone, and the sooner some realise that the better.

I can only agree with this. Passion can be destructive and there is a fine line between love and hate when it comes to it. Ronnie loves the game with a passion that consumes him and hates what the games does to him because he can't achieve the perfection he's aspriring to.

Postby Tubberlad

GJ & John: Neither of you understand O'Sullivan. I'm no different. But I do believe he loves snooker, and the fans, to such an extent that it's unhealthy.

Postby Witz78

you got nowt to say for yourselves GJ or are you just a puppet, all you ever do is agree with Wilds every word, give a thumbs up to Robbo, Stevens and Selt, and get on my nerves basically.

Ive barely said boo to you but you continually get stupid digs in non stop, you say nothing of note on anything really, why do you even bother coming on here to be honest :huh2: