Post a reply

Re: Hearn: John Higgin's reputation is tarnished

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:The main difference though was that King never went along with it or gave the impression he would agree. And that's a massive difference.
My understanding is also that it happened under the old board (or am I mistaken?). That doesn't change the rules of course but given the way cases of actual suspicious behaviours had been dealt with (or rather not dealt with) maybe King was entitled to think it was not even worth the effort to report it.

True, but John was found guilty of not reporting the approach which atoned for a large portion of the 6 months. King however......

Postby Monique

John was found guilty of bringing the game in disrepute but giving the impression to others he was ready to go for match fixing. I think that was the main point. And knowing what he had done - going along with it - even if you believe him about being frightened, it was all the more important to report it under the circumstances. It was even important for his own security if he really thought he was treathened. A blackmail exposed is pretty much a blackmail rendered useless.
King knew that nothing could came out of it as he had not agreed to anything neither given the impression he would.

Postby The Cueist

Monique wrote:John was found guilty of bringing the game in disrepute but giving the impression to others he was ready to go for match fixing. I think that was the main point. And knowing what he had done - going along with it - even if you believe him about being frightened, it was all the more important to report it under the circumstances. It was even important for his own security if he really thought he was treathened. A blackmail exposed is pretty much a blackmail rendered useless.
King knew that nothing could came out of it as he had not agreed to anything neither given the impression he would.

Monique <ok> You are spot on with this one,John went along with Mooney and it has cost him his reputation and £85,000 quid,I think his lesson is learnt. ;)

It will be interesting to see how the crowd reacts to him and how he reacts to them,And also can his game after 6 months of stress and worry stand up to the crowd,Baying for his demise.

He is gonna have to build a lot of determination inside to see his career go on from here.

I thought John got his just desserts and i feel he is ruined now,But lets see,Bearing in mind he does not like confrontations,I can see walk outs,Depending on the crowd.

Postby paperbackwriter

King could only have known that nothing will come out of it in his case, but it's not like some guys wondering around and trying to convince players to match-fixing are good for the game (not to mention, in the time when it needs credibility, telling the press something you obviously didn't report is inexcusable for me and there's no grey area here). So, maybe his punishment should be less harsh, but it's not exactly fair that he gets out of it unscathed. Either they're serious about wanting to clean it all up, or just satisfied with few scapegoats and making the right impression.

Postby The Cueist

paperbackwriter wrote:King could only have known that nothing will come out of it in his case, but it's not like some guys wondering around and trying to convince players to match-fixing are good for the game (not to mention, in the time when it needs credibility, telling the press something you obviously didn't report is inexcusable for me and there's no grey area here). So, maybe his punishment should be less harsh, but it's not exactly fair that he gets out of it unscathed. Either they're serious about wanting to clean it all up, or just satisfied with few scapegoats and making the right impression.

<doh> It gets worse,Though no worse than a host of other sports. ;)

Since Maguire V Burnett,The can of worms has been unleashed in match fixing allegations and at times not unwarranted suspicions about certain matches.

The thing is this can of worms is still wriggling,I can see more to come out that has gone on in the past regarding match fixing allegations.

Yep,Lets face it ,We are becoming a nation of small time gamblers.

wether it be bookies or internet.

And lets be honest,Where theres money theres a whole host of situations and temptations.

So it is not entireley too difficult to work out .

On a positive,I think all the players know that Hearn will not have it.