Post a reply

Hearn: John Higgin's reputation is tarnished

Postby SnookerFan

Taken from the BBC Website. What are people's feelings on this comment from Hearn;

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn believes John Higgins' name has been tarnished, despite the former world champion being cleared of match-fixing.

"The tribunal felt that Mr Higgins was not involved in any type of match-fixing. They were satisfied that he had no such involvement," said Hearn.

"But let's be honest, his reputation has been damaged."

Higgins, 35, was fined £75,000 and banned for six months for bringing the game into disrepute.

The Scot's ban, backdated to May, was imposed by Sports Resolutions UK and backed by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (World Snooker).

Hearn is now the leading man organising world snooker
His ban and fine were for "intentionally giving the impression to others that they were agreeing to act in breach of the betting rules" and failing to report the matter to World Snooker.

Higgins' former manager, Pat Mooney, was handed a life ban from snooker after a News of the World video appeared to show he and Higgins in discussions with an undercover reporter in Kiev to throw frames in return for £261,000.

Hearn explained why the subsequent investigation and ruling produced different punishments for Higgins and Mooney, who had pled guilty to the same charges.

He told BBC Scotland: "The two people's involvement was at an entirely different level: one was for potential financial gain and the other was not.

"It's the decision of some of the best legal brains in this country, bearing in mind the evidence and handled in an independent way.

"They obviously felt that the severity of the charge against Mr Higgins was not as serious as the charge against Mr Mooney.

"John Higgins' involvement was limited as compared to the involvement of Mr Mooney."

According to Hearn, who backs the three-time world champion to return to the top levels of the sport, the charge of match-fixing was dropped on a technicality.

"It was felt that the match-fixing (charge) could be challenged legally because the matches involved were not under the auspices of World Snooker: it was an independent, private event," said Hearn.

"It fell outside the rules of the World Snooker Association.

"Had that technicality not existed, they would have charged Mr Mooney with everything."

And Hearn added: "We have had due process. We have gone through exactly the right channels as laid down by our rules.

"The case has been heard by a totally legal board of people independent in every sense.

"They have reached their judgement after seeing all the evidence.

"Sport Resolutions is a major arbitrator in world sport. They have handled many cases like this and they have a proven track record of total independence as well as any court would have in the country."

Despite the stigma that the controversy has attached to snooker, Hearn views the newspaper's revelations as a positive thing for the sport.

"All sport today is under a lot of pressure from the gambling fraternity and we have all got to learn from this," he said.

"Any story that makes us aware of a problem must be applauded. We have got to take certain actions to make sure that our sport is perceived to be and is in reality cleaner than clean.

"There are people that can be tempted by financial gain."

Re: Hearn: John Higgin's reputation is tarnished

Postby Roland

Sounds about right although this:

"Any story that makes us aware of a problem must be applauded."

I take with a pinch of salt because the whole thing was set up to do him damage by association and he will know that. It's good though because he's waving two fingers up at whoever was the insider who kicked the whole thing off. Because you're not telling me Mazher Mahmood woke up one morning and thought to himself "That Pat Mooney looks like a bit of a runt, I'll have him".

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Sounds about right although this:

I take with a pinch of salt because the whole thing was set up to do him damage by association and he will know that. It's good though because he's waving two fingers up at whoever was the insider who kicked the whole thing off. Because you're not telling me Mazher Mahmood woke up one morning and thought to himself "That Pat Mooney looks like a bit of a runt, I'll have him".

He woke up one morning and thought; "Who can I stitch up today to make money?" Like they say, you can never trust the date in The News Of The World, let alone the news. <laugh>

It'll be interesting to see the reaction Higgins gets from the crowd at the following events though. I'll be at the UK for the first round matches, so I will watch with interest.

Postby gallantrabbit

Maybe outsiders from the snooker world will look at Higgins and wonder, but I'm sure the players won't.
However any player, amateur or pro who saw the Burnett footage against Maguire will know that Burnett was at it, there is no doubt. Yes even Maguire, although of course he'd never admit it.
Conclusion is that I'd rather be in Higgins's shoes than Burnett's.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Maybe outsiders from the snooker world will look at Higgins and wonder, but I'm sure the players won't.
However any player, amateur or pro who saw the Burnett footage against Maguire will know that Burnett was at it, there is no doubt. Yes even Maguire, although of course he'd never admit it.
Conclusion is that I'd rather be in Higgins's shoes than Burnett's.

Why? Whether he did or not, there has never really been any hard evidence against him. If he had, he'd have been suspended a long time ago, as Higgins was. Okay, it's not nice to have the police open the investigation every few months, but if there can't be anything that even remotely proves his guilt, why has nothing happened about it?

Higgins got off when there was a video of a conversation showing him agreeing to do it. Despite it being editted, and decided on in court to be out of context, there was still something tangible there. Burnett seems to be blamed because he looks guilty. He may be guilty, but where is the proof? Nowhere.

I can't see Burnett being thrown out any time soon.

Postby gallantrabbit

I will not comment more on Burnett after this because there's nothing more to say.
Watch the video again Snookerfan. If you really are one, or if you have played the game you'll see that he was at it. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind. It's as dodgy as Fransisco's play years back.
He was so scared of potting the black at the end, after fluking the pink I think that he decided that he couldn't even risk jawing it, so missed by a country mile. It wasn't just the black though the whole clearance was much more than dodgy. Watch it again if youtube hasn't taken it down and I'm sure you'll agree.
I don't think Burnett will be charged now, it's too late, but they should have set up an independent committee like they did with Fransisco. Clive Everton sat in and made comments as a commentator and ex player.
I don't care about police involvement, but I do care about the game, and the game was tarnished that day..

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I will not comment more on Burnett after this because there's nothing more to say.
Watch the video again Snookerfan. If you really are one, or if you have played the game you'll see that he was at it. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind. It's as dodgy as Fransisco's play years back.
He was so scared of potting the black at the end, after fluking the pink I think that he decided that he couldn't even risk jawing it, so missed by a country mile. It wasn't just the black though the whole clearance was much more than dodgy. Watch it again if youtube hasn't taken it down and I'm sure you'll agree.
I don't think Burnett will be charged now, it's too late, but they should have set up an independent committee like they did with Fransisco. Clive Everton sat in and made comments as a commentator and ex player.
I don't care about police involvement, but I do care about the game, and the game was tarnished that day..

Not saying he didn't do it, I just said there wasn't any proof. Or at least proof enough to commit him. Like you say, it's been too long, and they'd need more evidence then re-watching the frame, unfortunately.

Not a big fan of either man, and couldn't give a fudge if they got banned. I was just saying I can't see it happening now.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Sounds about right although this:

spot on

yes lets not forget Pat mooney was the target not higgins but who really was pat mooney.

Barry Hearn has made a lot of enemies over the years in the media because he dont mince his words and is pretty straight talking calls hammers a hammer.

so barry was the motive behind this sting although someone must have tiped the wink that mooney would be up for it.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:I will not comment more on Burnett after this because there's nothing more to say.

as snookerfan sais it really is only circumstantial nothing hard about it.

don't forget they knew about it before that match so any facial expression you saw was not natural due to that.

you try and play with pressure of having to win a frame otherwise you in the rubbish with cops. that what burnett had to do with that final frame if he had won it to go 8-4 2 years on nobody would talk about it.

if both players did not know about the rubbish that was about to happen that video could be looked at objectively as it is its pretty useless.

he might have been guilty or not but the fact he knew about it has in fact made it impossible for charges to stick and it beggers belief its still on going 2 years on <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:

as snookerfan sais it really is only circumstantial nothing hard about it.

don't forget they knew about it before that match so any facial expression you saw was not natural due to that.

you try and play with pressure of having to win a frame otherwise you in the rubbish with cops. that what burnett had to do with that final frame if he had won it to go 8-4 2 years on nobody would talk about it.

if both players did not know about the rubbish that was about to happen that video could be looked at objectively as it is its pretty useless.

he might have been guilty or not but the fact he knew about it has in fact made it impossible for charges to stick and it beggers belief its still on going 2 years on <doh>

Exactly.

I find it hard to believe that there was video of Higgins saying stuff, and yet many people rallied that he was 100% definately innocent, there is no doubt. Yet Burnett is 100% guilty because of the way he played a few balls.

Before people start, I am not implying guilt on the part of Higgins, or innocence on the part of Burnett. I'm saying, on both counts, the evidence should be given full consideration. In Burnett's and Maguire's case, there wasn't any hard evidence. The betting irregularities suggests they had something to do with it. But this is not proof. And you can't ban people from the sport based on re-watching a frame, and deciding whether he missed deliberately or not. That's speculation, not evidence.

People are going to jump on me and say I believe that he's innocent know. I'm not saying that. What I am saying, and it seems pretty agreed with, is that I don't think he or Maguire will be thrown out. I don't see how they are going to get proof now that they didn't have before.

Postby Wildey

its time to drop this now from criminal proceeding it really is and let the WPBSA Deal with it how they see it.

but let everyone of us look at it objectively and if we was David Douglass,Jason Ferguson or Barry Hearn be honest what punishment would they get From the Sport .

there's nothing there and the police are wasting money and time almost wishful thinking something concrete.

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:its time to drop this now from criminal proceeding it really is and let the WPBSA Deal with it how they see it.

but let everyone of us look at it objectively and if we was David Douglass,Jason Ferguson or Barry Hearn be honest what punishment would they get From the Sport .

there's nothing there and the police are wasting money and time almost wishful thinking something concrete.

:huh2: Well. :scared:

You have changed your tune on this matter,Not just in this post,But many previous one's also.

This contradicts what you were saying just prior to John Higgins's disciplinary.

I'm intrigued wild,As when i made a comment in support of John Higgins as i knew he had no case to answer,You said i was a complete idiot.

What i would like to know is ,How come you changed your opinion on this matter?

Im not looking for an argument as i know you are not worth arguing with as you throw your toys out like a baby does.

Just a bit puzzled as to the change of direction in you,As previously you stated he should be hung high. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Postby Wildey

ive not changed any tune if they guilty throw the book at them close the door on the way out good riddance to scumbags

however looking at the evidence there's nothing there the police being looking at it for 2 bloody years how bucking long do they need looking at the same things.

its obvious nothing will come of it so why drag it on.

i want these things looked at and continued to look at by WPBSA and David Douglass even entrap players weed out scum but on this the police are flogging a dead horse

Postby Monique

Wild have you seen the last thread I created in snooker news? I think something will come out of it and I'm afraid it's not good. Enquiries in fiscal crimes always take time. They almost always involve international aspects ... you have somehow to "laundry" the money.

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive not changed any tune if they guilty throw the book at them close the door on the way out good riddance to scumbags

however looking at the evidence there's nothing there the police being looking at it for 2 bloody years how intercoursing long do they need looking at the same things.

i want these things looked at and continued to look at by WPBSA and David Douglass even entrap players weed out scum but on this the police are flogging a dead horse

:chin: I THINK YOU DID. :bs:

Postby gallantrabbit

I will just butt in one more time...
Burnett playing those last few balls reminded me of situations years ago when I used to play a good mate of mine years ago 'under the influence'. My mate was a decent player but I had the hold on him and he used to get very uptight when he lost a series of frames.
To calm him a little I'd decide to miss one or two to let him in. I'd take on silly shots, send the white round the table 3 times etc etc to let him in. It was incredible how many times I'd fluke balls, end up bang on the next colour, or get the luckiest kiss going.
Watch the video again and tell me Burnett is not throwing his cue. When he flukes the pink he gets 'very' nervous and to make sure the black doesn't go down he misses by a yard.
I'm not saying he'll be done now, nor that a run of the mill copper would suss anything about 'a few balls'.
But we are snooker fans and players and we know.
I know that Burnett was at it and so would anyone else nutty about snooker.
Whether his collar will ever be felt is very unlikely but any reputation he had in snooker will be gone, despite his first final appearance. <ok>

Postby Thompson Lykes

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive not changed any tune if they guilty throw the book at them close the door on the way out good riddance to scumbags

however looking at the evidence there's nothing there the police being looking at it for 2 bloody years how intercoursing long do they need looking at the same things.

Have you ever thought that this investigation might be far more complicated and deep-rooted than just two snooker players being up to no good?

Postby Wildey

Thompson Lykes wrote:

Have you ever thought that this investigation might be far more complicated and deep-rooted than just two snooker players being up to no good?

so what are you saying snooker match fixing is mafia conected :|

Postby GJ

robbo's views on john higgins

It is going to take John a bit of time to earn the respect amongst all the players again and some will be thinking the ban should have been harder. Players will have different opinions and it will be interesting to see how John will come back into the game - and also how the crowds react.

Postby Casey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:robbo's views on john higgins

It is going to take John a bit of time to earn the respect amongst all the players again and some will be thinking the ban should have been harder. Players will have different opinions and it will be interesting to see how John will come back into the game - and also how the crowds react.

I read Robbo's comments and I think he should read the verdict again before comparing it to hann's situation. hann was found guilty of something different, the board believed he was going to go through with it - they did not with John. hann did not put up a defense and retired - John did defend himself.

To comment on something so serious I think Neil really should have got the facts right.

Postby randam05

I feel so bad for him. I really cant imagine he would do such a thing, hes a great man with a great family he loves dearly. Why would he put that at risk along with his career he enjoys so much and has earnt so much from? A fantastic player and ambassador for the game with an MBE to his name. Anyone who doesnt support him now but did before is an idiot really and I hope no one judges him at all on this and lets him carry on with his snooker. I would love to see him win more titles and hope this doesnt affect his play at all.

If he is actually guilty then okay I shall not support him, but in my opinion he is innocent and the fine he was given for not reporting it straight away is just right and hes accepted that well.

Postby Bourne

Robbo definitely comes across as a little surprised at it all, he's allowed his opinion though and he didn't say anything to smear Higgins' name so nothing wrong with that.

Postby Wildey

thats only a snipet of the interview obviously there will be more said tomorrow and they will show the full interview.

he was choking up in that brief video understandably and he knows what's in front of him it will not be easy.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Robbo definitely comes across as a little surprised at it all, he's allowed his opinion though and he didn't say anything to smear Higgins' name so nothing wrong with that.

the whole thing overshadowed his major moment ask yourselves this would you be happy no matter what the punishment was.