Post a reply

Drawn frame

Postby melaniewalker

Should this be half a frame each or a re-spot? Thoughts. After a proper frame it almost seems wrong to decide the winner on what is basically a coin flip. In Chess a draw is 1/2 a point. Wouldn't that be better than a re-spot? It's personal preference, but I would prefer 1/2 a point to the players personally.

Re: Drawn frame

Postby D4P

I don't disagree that a respotted black with a coin flip probably gives one player an (unearned) advantage over the other, but giving each player a half-point for a drawn frame would essentially render the frame meaningless. Perhaps some other alternative could be devised that reduces the random effects of the coin flip while also guaranteeing that one player wins the frame...

Postby SnookerFan

What happens if it's a deciding frame?

Say it's 5-5, in a best of eleven. Do you suggest that it goes 5 and a half each, and they have to play another frame?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:What happens if it's a deciding frame?

Say it's 5-5, in a best of eleven. Do you suggest that it goes 5 and a half each, and they have to play another frame?

Yes, the decider being first to 50 ponts. A half frame.

Postby SnookerEd25

D4P wrote:I don't disagree that a respotted black with a coin flip probably gives one player an (unearned) advantage over the other, but giving each player a half-point for a drawn frame would essentially render the frame meaningless. Perhaps some other alternative could be devised that reduces the random effects of the coin flip while also guaranteeing that one player wins the frame...

Re-rack :D

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:
D4P wrote:I don't disagree that a respotted black with a coin flip probably gives one player an (unearned) advantage over the other, but giving each player a half-point for a drawn frame would essentially render the frame meaningless. Perhaps some other alternative could be devised that reduces the random effects of the coin flip while also guaranteeing that one player wins the frame...

Actually not a bad idea.

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Actually not a bad idea.

That wouldn't really be any different from the half-point idea...

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Actually not a bad idea.

That wouldn't really be any different from the half-point idea...

Well yes but makes the tally easier. It voids the frame. It's shared. Frame score doesn't change

Postby SnookerEd25

Just for the record, I’m totally fine with the current arrangement, never seen a massive problem with it.

But if anybody wishes to jazz it up, maybe a GOLDEN BALL? :chin:

Postby HappyCamper

why would it be meaningless? it would still get the leading player half a frame closer to victory. and if they had 3.5 in a best of seven would seal the match vistory.

Postby D4P

HappyCamper wrote:

why would it be meaningless? it would still get the leading player half a frame closer to victory. and if they had 3.5 in a best of seven would seal the match vistory.

In hindsight, I meant that it would be meaningless if there were only 1 drawn frame, but it wouldn't necessarily be meaningless if there were 2 or more drawn frames...

Postby Holden Chinaski

I wonder who has the highest respotted black frames win percentage? :chin:

Postby gninnur karona

melaniewalker wrote:Should this be half a frame each or a re-spot? Thoughts. After a proper frame it almost seems wrong to decide the winner on what is basically a coin flip. In Chess a draw is 1/2 a point. Wouldn't that be better than a re-spot? It's personal preference, but I would prefer 1/2 a point to the players personally.

The re-spot is conditional upon aggregate scores being irrelevant. If aggregate scores are relevant the re-spot occurs only when the aggregate scores are level at the end of the last frame.

Why not adopt the same approach when a match is decided by frame count? Award a half point each for a frame that ends level and have a re-spot only when frame scores are tied at the end of the last frame eg. when a best of eleven ends 5 and a half each.