Post a reply

Ronnie O'Sullivan's greatest triumph?

Postby gninnur karona

Ronnie O'Sullivan's record in flat 128s is underwhelming considering his otherwise record breaking career.

Including PTCs I have found 10 titles won since Barry Hearn resuscitated snooker in 2010.

Eight of those titles were won on British shores.

Let's look at the other two.

First to Germany and the 2013-14 Paul Hunter Classic which Ronnie O'Sullivan lifted after defeating Gerard Greene in the final. On his way to that final Ronnie O'Sullivan beat, among others, Chris Wakelin, Anthony McGill, Stuart Bingham and Mark Selby. Not the most difficult opponent in the final certainly, but Gerard Greene had earned his place in the trophy match having eliminated Allister Carter in the semi-final and Jack Lisowski way back in the opening round.

2017-18. Champion of Champions. Ronnie O'Sullivan loses the final 10-8 to Shaun Murphy. A month earlier Ronnie O'Sullivan had whitewashed Christopher Keogan in the opening round of the Shanghai Masters now it's pack your bags time and off to China. Ronnie O'Sullivan faced consecutively Gary Wilson, Joe Perry, Barry Hawkins, Mark Williams, John Higgins and Judd Trump. Six illustrious opponents. Just the nine frames dropped as Ronnie O'Sullivan coasted to the title. Maybe not his greatest triumph but this victory merits inclusion among Ronnie O'Sullivan's career highlights.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan's greatest triumph?

Postby D4P

The flat 128s are usually tinpot events that Ronnie doesn't care about, and has a hard time getting motivated for.

If I'm not mistaken, though, wasn't the UK Championship a 128 event until just a few years ago? Ronnie's record in that tournament isn't too shabby...

Postby shanew48

Staying awake and alert enough to play snooker at 2am in the morning, it clearly impacted John, I’m presuming it was slowbys fault as he always seems to mess up the schedule for the matches following his matches by deliberately slowing everything down, surprised they invited him really as he isn’t exactly a good advert for the excitement of snooker.

If such a late schedule had occurred anywhere else the players involved would have been complaining and moaning for sure but you won’t hear a peep out of any of them on this occasion as obviously money buys silence even down to it being acceptable to start a match at 2am!

Postby shanew48

Staying awake and alert enough to play snooker at 2am in the morning, it clearly impacted John, I’m presuming it was slowbys fault as he always seems to mess up the schedule for the matches following his matches by deliberately slowing everything down, surprised they invited him really as he isn’t exactly a good advert for the excitement of snooker.

If such a late schedule had occurred anywhere else the players involved would have been complaining and moaning for sure but you won’t hear a peep out of any of them on this occasion as obviously money buys silence even down to it being acceptable to start a match at 2am!

Postby shanew48

HappyCamper wrote:Would the players not Just have stayed on UK time. Since this is how the matches were scheduled.

That’s a fair point, really not too sure if that was the case or not, it’s bad enough waiting for slowly when you have had your full quota of sleep but it must be even more torturous if you’re crazy tired also!

Postby shanew48

Update: golden ball will be worth 1 million next time around and Ron has very graciously agreed to open a Saudi academy in his name, wonder how much blood money it took to get that agreement signed?!

I guess taking such a prominent part in this sport washing is terrible for a legacy but amazing for the bank balance!

Postby shanew48

shanew48 wrote:https://youtu.be/pxzM-8RLp3I?si=cEjZT0szpMufq1GF

The production seems really quite forced, doesn’t work as well as it does with some of the other sports that go there

No problem when it comes to shaking some peoples hands, I’m sure he stated that he doesn’t shake peoples hands for hygiene reasons, that seems to not always be the case though it would seem.

Postby GJ

His greatest achievement has to be his unbelievable quick recovery from stage fright :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet1

Imagine a person so in love with another person that they had never even met that they would defend every action or word that said person had said that they would lay their soul on the line to defend that person. Now hold that thought. And that said hero thinks the admirer is a piece of human garbage. This is the O'Sullivan relationship with him and......Go figure!

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:Imagine a person so in love with another person that they had never even met that they would defend every action or word that said person had said that they would lay their soul on the line to defend that person. Now hold that thought. And that said hero thinks the admirer is a piece of human garbage. This is the O'Sullivan relationship with him and......Go figure!

Postby HappyCamper

vodkadiet1 wrote:Imagine a person so in love with another person that they had never even met that they would defend every action or word that said person had said that they would lay their soul on the line to defend that person. Now hold that thought. And that said hero thinks the admirer is a piece of human garbage. This is the O'Sullivan relationship with him and......Go figure!

Sounds hot

Postby Andre147

Taking this thread seriously lol...

I would say his greatest triumph is probably winning the 2013 World Champs after taking a year off. No other player could have pulled this off, and Ronnie certainly couldn't do this again.

Winning it in 2022 though is probably the thoughest draw he had, plus all the pressure of tying Hendry's 7th title, and with a camera crew following his every move.

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:In pure snooker terms winning a 1st world title was his greatest triumph. He wasn't going to be the next 'Jimmy White'.

Seems daft to say it now, but that was a serious discussion at the time.

Yes! I was a huge RO’S fan in his early years (somewhat tired of him since) and until he won his first it was always in the back of my mind that he might ‘do a Jimmy’, particularly as other such as John Higgins, Mark Williams - even Ken Doherty - had already broken their ducks.

Does seem daft now, with all those WC’s now under his belt. If I was still a fanboy, I’d now actually be disappointed he is only on 7. Should easily be in double figures at least.

Postby D4P

SnookerEd25 wrote: If I was still a fanboy, I’d now actually be disappointed he is only on 7. Should easily be in double figures at least.

He almost certainly would have had more than 7 by now (and won his first earlier than he did) if Ronnie Sr. hadn't gone to prison...

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:In pure snooker terms winning a 1st world title was his greatest triumph. He wasn't going to be the next 'Jimmy White'.

Yes! I was a huge RO’S fan in his early years (somewhat tired of him since) and until he won his first it was always in the back of my mind that he might ‘do a Jimmy’, particularly as other such as John Higgins, Mark Williams - even Ken Doherty - had already broken their ducks.

Does seem daft now, with all those WC’s now under his belt. If I was still a fanboy, I’d now actually be disappointed he is only on 7. Should easily be in double figures at least.

Hendry definitely should have won a few more as well to be fair.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry definitely should have won a few more as well to be fair.

And the Nugget should never have lost to Taylor or Johnson :hmmm: