Post a reply

Greatest shot within a 147

Postby shanew48

Obviously can’t remember all of the 147 breaks and the shots within them so no doubt there will be many other shots that could be deemed better, such as the left hand red from Ron in the UK but on that one the angle was naturally there to come back down for the black, I think the black then off the top cushion to move the last red away from the pick vs Williams at the WC was the best shot due to there seemingly not being enough angle to generate enough pace to hit the red and pink and the shot off just one cushion didn’t even really seem on but somehow he managed it, that shot really stands out to me as every time I see it it just doesn’t look on!

Re: Greatest shot within a 147

Postby Prop

shanew48 wrote:Obviously can’t remember all of the 147 breaks and the shots within them so no doubt there will be many other shots that could be deemed better, such as the left hand red from Ron in the UK but on that one the angle was naturally there to come back down for the black, I think the black then off the top cushion to move the last red away from the pick vs Williams at the WC was the best shot due to there seemingly not being enough angle to generate enough pace to hit the red and pink and the shot off just one cushion didn’t even really seem on but somehow he managed it, that shot really stands out to me as every time I see it it just doesn’t look on!

Which match was that?

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Obviously can’t remember all of the 147 breaks and the shots within them so no doubt there will be many other shots that could be deemed better, such as the left hand red from Ron in the UK but on that one the angle was naturally there to come back down for the black, I think the black then off the top cushion to move the last red away from the pick vs Williams at the WC was the best shot due to there seemingly not being enough angle to generate enough pace to hit the red and pink and the shot off just one cushion didn’t even really seem on but somehow he managed it, that shot really stands out to me as every time I see it it just doesn’t look on!

Which match was that?

The 147 against Williams at the WC a good few years back now, 2008, watch from the 7 minute mark (it was in fact the second from last red, still a tremendous shot though I think)

https://youtu.be/1y2fEhdJh-U?si=8bhMw4S8mee8wK5E

Postby shanew48

I’m sure all other players would have come off two cushions rather than just the one, still struggle to comprehend how he generated so much pace with the little angle he had to play with, hyperbolic rhetoric is common but it would actually be deserved for that shot I think

Postby Prop

Yep, I remember it now. Great shot. He’s hitting it so hard that even a tiny amount of unwanted side/top/bottom would have had a huge effect on the path of the white. He had to put his arm into it to generate the power, and simultaneously strike the white absolutely perfectly. No margin for error.

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:Yep, I remember it now. Great shot. He’s hitting it so hard that even a tiny amount of unwanted side/top/bottom would have had a huge effect on the path of the white. He had to put his arm into it to generate the power, and simultaneously strike the white absolutely perfectly. No margin for error.

exactly right, had to be so precise right at that exact moment with a 147 on the line, don't think anyone else could or would be able to pull it off quite frankly.

Postby Iranu

Is that the one where Dennis exclaims, “He was almost straight!”

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Is that the one where Dennis exclaims, “He was almost straight!”

That’s the one.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:Is that the one where Dennis exclaims, “He was almost straight!”

That’s the one.

<ok>

I always think that shot’s in the Selby semi one. It’s only the description above that’s put me right this time. By tomorrow my memory of it will have reverted.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Or the Selby double-double. I'm conflicted. I"m biased, I was at that 2014 Welsh final.

Yeah that’s a good shout. Incredible shot really.

Postby Prop

Wasn’t it a treble? I remember some people on Twitter saying it was a fluke :roll: I’m not the biggest fan of Selby’s style but credit where it’s due, it was exactly how he played it. The double wasn’t even on because there was another ball in the way, so the treble was the only shot available.

Postby Holden Chinaski

shanew48 wrote:And that’s why people want to watch him, because he can produce things on the table that literally nobody else can.

That's one of the reasons. Another one is the beauty of his positional play and break building. And how he gets better under pressure when most players would bottle it. Another reason is his cue action. There are many reasons why he's great to watch.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:Wasn’t it a treble? I remember some people on Twitter saying it was a fluke :roll: I’m not the biggest fan of Selby’s style but credit where it’s due, it was exactly how he played it. The double wasn’t even on because there was another ball in the way, so the treble was the only shot available.

We call that a double-double round our way laddy.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:
Prop wrote:Wasn’t it a treble? I remember some people on Twitter saying it was a fluke :roll: I’m not the biggest fan of Selby’s style but credit where it’s due, it was exactly how he played it. The double wasn’t even on because there was another ball in the way, so the treble was the only shot available.

But a double double would go across the table four times, not thrice, Shirley?

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Technically a double hits one cushion and a treble hits two sooo... :chin:

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Yes, but a double is called a double because the white goes across the table twice.

Postby TheRocket

impossible to say really. I'm sure there have been some incredible recovery shots to get on the black.
But yeah, Ronnie left handed shot in the Welsh Open final is without any doubt among the very greatest.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Yes, but a double is called a double because the white goes across the table twice.

Why is it called a double when the ball’s on the cushion then?

Postby Prop

The object ball will be slightly off the cushion in the case of the vast majority of successful doubles. It’s difficult to avoid the double kiss trying to double a ball that’s tight on a cushion, unless you leave enough angle to hit it half ball or less.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:The object ball will be slightly off the cushion in the case of the vast majority of successful doubles. It’s difficult to avoid the double kiss trying to double a ball that’s tight on a cushion, unless you leave enough angle to hit it half ball or less.

But they’re still doubles.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:The object ball will be slightly off the cushion in the case of the vast majority of successful doubles. It’s difficult to avoid the double kiss trying to double a ball that’s tight on a cushion, unless you leave enough angle to hit it half ball or less.

Not in a cut-back double.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:

Not in a cut-back double.

“Unless you leave enough angle to hit it half ball or less”