Post a reply

Re: Snooker unpersonalities..

Postby Roland

When you look at it again, too much was made of that particular break. It doesn't look that bad. Ok he could have played it faster, but it's Peter Ebdon and that's how long he takes when he's trying his hardest.

Postby gallantrabbit

True Sonny. There was a little gamesmanship in there, but he got at Ronnie, and the fuss that was made over it all, calling Ebbo a parakeet was way out of line.
I like Ebdon and think he's got great character. I like players who give blood and show a little more emotion.

Postby SnookerFan

I think too much was made out of that entire match, to be honest. I remember watching the last few frames, and Ronnie was presented with several match winning opportunities. "My opponent is playing slow" or "My opponent kept getting the cue ball cleaned" isn't a reason for a player to lose. And if memory serves me right, Ronnie himself didn't use it as an excuse either.

If Ronnie gets bored when a players is methodical and likes to take his time, that is not the fault or the problem of the person he is playing. You only play your own game, and if your opponent loses due to being a strop, well that's his fault.

Did Ebdon play slowly? Of course. I personally don't always find slow play entertaining, but then Ebdon can't worry that there's a fat bloke in Croydon not fully entertained he's there to win.

I find it hard to believe that a prime Stephen Hendry would've lost a match because his opponent repeatedly got the cue ball cleaned.

Postby GJ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A74175942

What a rubbish topic and i dont get how so many think jimmy white is so much more of a character than todays players.

For me white is quite a dull person but apparently he is a real character.

I suppose its another example of the good old days being so much better.

This isnt an attack on white but i get sick of hearing how big a character players like him are compared with todays so called "DULL" players .

:zzz:

Postby randam05

True Sonny. There was a little gamesmanship in there, but he got at Ronnie, and the fuss that was made over it all, calling Ebbo a parakeet was way out of line.
I like Ebdon and think he's got great character. I like players who give blood and show a little more emotion.

Agreed, I like ebdon and the way he won that match was fine. Just made me laugh cause it said legendary 12 break. Maybe doing 19 backswings before hitting that pink is a little silly, but he potted it so fairplay.

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A74175942

What a rubbish topic and i dont get how so many think jimmy white is so much more of a character than todays players.

For me white is quite a dull person but apparently he is a real character.

I suppose its another example of the good old days being so much better.

This isnt an attack on white but i get sick of hearing how big a character players like him are compared with todays so called "DULL" players .

:zzz:

Wow! I find myself agreeing with GJ! Now that's worrying LOL!
But, yes, you are right GJ, there are certainly just as much characters today as there were in the past. And the standard is certainly higher today that it was in the 70th or the late 80th, early 90th.
One main difference is that mainy players from the past HAD to show some form of "character" because they weren't quite able to make a good living out of snooker and had to rely more on exhibitions. So showboating was on order in a way or another.
The snooker authorities decided that the game had to become more "professional" and had to gain a "respectability". Therefore the younger generation was taught to act moderately, to avoid excentric behaviours and antics and to shut their mouth and hide their feelings. Hence now they are branded "dull"... it's beginning to change a bit again, and I wont complain. Quite ironically the biggest star in the game over the last 18 years is probably seen by some "authorities" as an epic failure in this respect. :roll:

Postby Casey

Robbo, Allen, Selby & Trump are characters and are more than capable of pulling in fans. We just need to see more of them!!

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Robbo, Allen, Selby & Trump are characters and are more than capable of pulling in fans. We just need to see more of them!!

yes that is a big argument against taking the old guard to Glasgow.

jimmy is the past its much better promoting the new younger guys more to give them the same exposure chance jimmy himself got in the 80s.

thats another reason barry should look towards streaming PTC.

young players like jack lisowski,stephen craigie going far in these events and nobody seeing them play.

but it is early days for barry and rome was not build in a day ......im 100% positive its in the pipeline.