Post a reply

Has anyone else noticed the forum getting slower and less responsive for the last few months?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 14

Re: Site Issues and Slowdown

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I have always found the site to be slower than other web sites but always assumed it was a old tech forum and as long as it works it hasn't bothered me because I'm only a part time poster.

Maybe the server needs a flush and sprinkle.

I always found the site ultra-responsive and snappy in comparison to other more contemporary websites. The fact it was apparently built on older tech never occurred to me as an issue, in fact I assumed it was so fast and responsive because it was a simple, no frills build. It was part of its charm.

And then it all started going wrong, and people are saying it’s because it’s old. I’m not convinced. If it worked fine a few years ago, but doesn’t work fine now, it’s logical to suggest that a change that occurred a few years ago needs identifying and investigating as the issue.

It didn’t work fine a few years ago. This has been an issue on and off for years. A quick search reveals a complaint from SF in 2017.

Remember the alternative forum?

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I have always found the site to be slower than other web sites but always assumed it was a old tech forum and as long as it works it hasn't bothered me because I'm only a part time poster.

I always found the site ultra-responsive and snappy in comparison to other more contemporary websites. The fact it was apparently built on older tech never occurred to me as an issue, in fact I assumed it was so fast and responsive because it was a simple, no frills build. It was part of its charm.

And then it all started going wrong, and people are saying it’s because it’s old. I’m not convinced. If it worked fine a few years ago, but doesn’t work fine now, it’s logical to suggest that a change that occurred a few years ago needs identifying and investigating as the issue.

It didn’t work fine a few years ago. This has been an issue on and off for years. A quick search reveals a complaint from SF in 2017.

There have been a few slow downs, logs etc have been cleared by Chris, it works well again. Sites like this do need maintenance.

Postby mantorok

I wonder how big the database is? I don’t know how well these sites scale to large amounts of content, although I would have thought this was one of the more smaller forums around.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:I wonder how big the database is? I don’t know how well these sites scale to large amounts of content, although I would have thought this was one of the more smaller forums around.

Don’t tell me the site’s slow because of SF telling us he’s having a rubbish 40,000 times!
Last edited by Iranu on 24 Feb 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:I wonder how big the database is? I don’t know how well these sites scale to large amounts of content, although I would have thought this was one of the more smaller forums around.

It's big. So big. Very... big.

Postby chengdufan

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with speed recently, though the site has been down on a few occasions I've tried to login in the last few weeks. It's been back up when I've tried again an hour or so latee.
I almost exclusively logon on Android. Rarely on PC. How about you Prop? Android, Windows, Apple... ?

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with speed recently, though the site has been down on a few occasions I've tried to login in the last few weeks. It's been back up when I've tried again an hour or so latee.
I almost exclusively logon on Android. Rarely on PC. How about you Prop? Android, Windows, Apple... ?

Apple, using the Safari browser.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:
chengdufan wrote:For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with speed recently, though the site has been down on a few occasions I've tried to login in the last few weeks. It's been back up when I've tried again an hour or so latee.

Apple, using the Safari browser.

Mate ... Safari?!

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Prop what's your internet service? Is it hotly contested? No-one seems to have anything like the probs you have.

The site was really slow yesterday. I haven’t been on as much as usual lately but it’s not been good.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Snookery Dookery? :shock:

I hope you jest :hmmm:

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Prop what's your internet service? Is it hotly contested? No-one seems to have anything like the probs you have.

Virgin Media, 130 down 20-odd up

What do you mean by contested?

Safari has been absolutely spot on as a browser for me - including Snooker Island prior to the issues.

I’d be willing to bet plenty of people are having the exact same problems I have.

I really don’t think it’s an issue at my end.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The site has been slow for me as well. I don't think it has to do with someones internet service. I have no problems with other sites.

Postby McManusFan

I've only ever had slow down issues when using mobile data.

It might be worth everyone who has experienced slowness recently to say how they use the forum.

Phone or computer?
Which browser?

Postby Prop

I tested it last night when yet again the site slowed to a crawl. Exactly the same problem using mobile data or wifi.

Manty and Holden also had the same issues last night.

Botty was unplugged to test whether it made a difference, and it didn’t. So he can be removed from the list of suspects and reinstated.

It seems like it’s taking a lot of effort to get this point across, but the issue is with this website, not our individual ISPs or browsers.

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:It seems like it’s taking a lot of effort to get this point across, but the issue is with this website, not our individual ISPs or browsers.

Maybe I missed something earlier, but how do we know that? It probably is the website's fault, but it's weird that not everyone has the issue.

It could just be I'm never on when it goes to pot!

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:It seems like it’s taking a lot of effort to get this point across, but the issue is with this website, not our individual ISPs or browsers.

Maybe I missed something earlier, but how do we know that? It probably is the website's fault, but it's weird that not everyone has the issue.

It could just be I'm never on when it goes to pot!

Isn’t it more telling that multiple people continue to report the same issues occurring at the same time? How many people don’t even report the issue or comment on it?

And yes, that is a big factor. If you visit the site less often you’re far more likely to avoid the slowdown.

On the off chance that everyone having issues happens to be using Safari, we can all try different browsers and see what happens. But I’m not holding my breath.

Postby Prop

So, could everyone that’s had these issues please state which browser you are using?

Ta.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:So, could everyone that’s had these issues please state which browser you are using?

Ta.

Firefox most of the time. Used to have problems with Edge and Chrome as well.

Postby chengdufan

It's more likely to be OS than browser. The coding for the site will have significant differences for Apple, Android and Windows.
My guess is there's a glitch in the coding for Apple users.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:It's more likely to be OS than browser. The coding for the site will have significant differences for Apple, Android and Windows.
My guess is there's a glitch in the coding for Apple users.

So on the back of this, could everyone also state which operating system they’re using please?

iOS here.

Postby Prop

So, we’re slowly (and inevitably) establishing that it isn’t a browser issue and it isn’t an OS issue.

Postby SnookerEd25

I use Ecosia, and have issues from time to time although it was working fine for me a few days back when others were complaining.

I didn’t think anybody used Safari - Prop is the first person I’ve come across who favours it.