Post a reply

Has anyone else noticed the forum getting slower and less responsive for the last few months?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 14

Site Issues and Slowdown

Postby Prop

The forum keeps slowing down. Something ain’t right. Who else has had issues? Add a comment.

Mods, depending how many people are affected, it might be an idea to investigate.

Re: Site Issues and Slowdown

Postby Iranu

Can’t say I’ve noticed anything more than usual.

Postby SnookerEd25

No issues here. Maybe you need a Red Bull*, Prop? :chin:

*other energy boosters are available

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:You’re just not ready, Prop.

pmsl

Postby HappyCamper

got some db access failed error message or something just now

but i refreshed the page and it went away.

Postby SnookerFan

Seems about the same for me.

A few wobbles and downtime, but generally okay. If it does go down, usually back up in a minute or two.

Business as usual.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Seems about the same for me.

A few wobbles and downtime, but generally okay. If it does go down, usually back up in a minute or two.

Business as usual.

Wobble deez nuts.

Postby mantorok

Business as usual.

Same, I can't seem to last long these days :sad:

Postby SnookerEd25

mantorok wrote:

Business as usual.

Same, I can't seem to last long these days :sad:

It happens when you get older. If you’re partner is understanding, you’ll find other areas of compatibility <ok>

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:How’s everyone finding it recently?

With the same url as before

Postby Prop

It’d be great to get a response from the whole mod/admin team on this. I know Dan reached out to the IT guy, and we’re grateful for that, but the problems remain. At least an acknowledgment that there is a problem and some reassurance that efforts are being made by Snooker Island as a whole to investigate it and rectify it. The responsibility should be shared by those who share responsibility.

I gave up with it last night. When you’re spending more time staring at a screen waiting for it to respond than you are having an actual conversation it all becomes rather pointless.

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:It’d be great to get a response from the whole mod/admin team on this. I know Dan reached out to the IT guy, and we’re grateful for that, but the problems remain. At least an acknowledgment that there is a problem and some reassurance that efforts are being made by Snooker Island as a whole to investigate it and rectify it. The responsibility should be shared by those who share responsibility.

I gave up with it last night. When you’re spending more time staring at a screen waiting for it to respond than you are having an actual conversation it all becomes rather pointless.

I will reach out again to Chris (original co-founder of this site with Roland) to see if he can take another look, he's the web admin.

Postby The_Abbott

I have always found the site to be slower than other web sites but always assumed it was a old tech forum and as long as it works it hasn't bothered me because I'm only a part time poster.

Maybe the server needs a flush and sprinkle.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Haven't had that much of a prob with it, the odd busy match you get the occasional time out but nothing major.

It sounds like you’re one of the lucky ones then. I can assure you it’s much worse than that for plenty more of us. I just happen to be making noise about it. This is what I mean about acknowledging the issue. Fine for one user doesn’t mean fine for all users.

Dan-cat wrote:I will reach out again to Chris (original co-founder of this site with Roland) to see if he can take another look, he's the web admin.

Appreciated, thank you :hatoff: Could you dig a bit deeper this time please, and try and get his opinion on the root cause?

In terms of that - and take this with a pinch of salt, because I’m not especially clued up on the subject - is it possible that Botty is putting some sort of extra load on the site? It could be (and hopefully is) just a coincidence, but the problems seemed to manifest around the time Botty was introduced.

Something else I’ve noticed, which might help ascertain the cause, is that it seems to really struggle loading the longer threads (hundreds of pages long) like the Never Ending Quiz or Botty’s scores/results thread. Also if you click on someone’s profile to browse their posts - that takes forever to load, even when things appear to be running smoothly otherwise. There never used to be a single thing that slowed the site down. Now there are plenty.

I’m just trying to get this problem properly into frame, for the benefit of all of us. If we’re met with the old Officer Barbrady “Move along, nothing to see here” response, people are just going to lose confidence and move on.

Postby Prop

The_Abbott wrote:I have always found the site to be slower than other web sites but always assumed it was a old tech forum and as long as it works it hasn't bothered me because I'm only a part time poster.

Maybe the server needs a flush and sprinkle.

I always found the site ultra-responsive and snappy in comparison to other more contemporary websites. The fact it was apparently built on older tech never occurred to me as an issue, in fact I assumed it was so fast and responsive because it was a simple, no frills build. It was part of its charm.

And then it all started going wrong, and people are saying it’s because it’s old. I’m not convinced. If it worked fine a few years ago, but doesn’t work fine now, it’s logical to suggest that a change that occurred a few years ago needs identifying and investigating as the issue.

Postby Prop

And it took me forever to get that last post to work :hmmm:

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:I've emailed Chris.

Yes, could well be Botty. HAs been mooted before.

Mants, can we pause him for a few days to see if things improve?

Appreciated <ok>

Postby mantorok

Botty has been turned off.

I can’t say how he’s going to react to no longer being turned on :chin: