Post a reply

Higgins triple crown record.

Postby Dragonfly

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I have just realised that John Higgins triple crown record is actually not that great.

OK, 4 World titles is good, and he did lose another 4. But 2 Masters titles isn't great, and really for a player of his standard, and who has been around for ages 3 UK titles isn't brilliant either.

I know he's had a very tough era, but this is a player some people rate as the 2nd best of all time.

Of course he may still add to his titles, but it's becoming extremely difficult. Will he look back one day and wonder should he have done more?

Re: Higgins triple crown record.

Postby TheRocket

yes should have won more with his ability and his TC record should be around 12-15 but for some reason he simply hasnt won anything after 2011 which is one of the weird stats in Snooker.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not every player can be expected to be like Ronnie, Hendry and Davis and win the amount of triple crown titles they managed. Higgins stats for me are fine and how they should be. I remember around 2005 I didn't think he would ever win a 2nd world title.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:Not every player can be expected to be like Ronnie, Hendry and Davis and win the amount of triple crown titles they managed. Higgins stats for me are fine and how they should be. I remember around 2005 I didn't think he would ever win a 2nd world title.

I think what’s interesting is the last decade. If his victories had been more spread out we might not be discussing it. But a period of relative dominance followed by 10+ years of nothing is what makes the statistic more remarkable.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:Only three Triple Crown events a year, and several players that are good enough to win them each time, I guess.

Yes but hes been a pro for 30 years. I don't think that 9 TC wins are like bad , of course not, but given how good Higgins is you would have expected him to be a little bit closer to Ronnie and Hendry.

Postby Dragonfly

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Only three Triple Crown events a year, and several players that are good enough to win them each time, I guess.

Yes but hes been a pro for 30 years. I don't think that 9 TC wins are like bad , of course not, but given how good Higgins is you would have expected him to be a little bit closer to Ronnie and Hendry.

That's exactly what I was thinking

Postby McManusFan

He probably could have won a few more. One or two of those world finals could maybe have gone the other way. It's funny how his Masters record isn't great. For whatever reason, the masters tends to go well for the flashier players, or so it seems anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:

I suppose when you put it like that. 3 TCs a year, for 30 years, would've given him 90 chances to win them.

Postby Johnny Bravo

McManusFan wrote:He probably could have won a few more. One or two of those world finals could maybe have gone the other way. It's funny how his Masters record isn't great. For whatever reason, the masters tends to go well for the flashier players, or so it seems anyway.

He was 10-4 in front against Selby. He definitely should have won that one.

Postby McManusFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
McManusFan wrote:He probably could have won a few more. One or two of those world finals could maybe have gone the other way. It's funny how his Masters record isn't great. For whatever reason, the masters tends to go well for the flashier players, or so it seems anyway.

He was 10-4 in front against Selby. He definitely should have won that one.

That was his best chance, although the Willo one could have gone closer.

That's the beauty of longer matches though, big leads can be overturned. We saw that this year with Luca against Ronnie and Si.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:The way Ronnie bangs on about Higgins being the best ever doesn't really add up with these stats?

Ronnie said something ill conceived?

That's not like him.

Postby LC

I remember Steve Davis said saying he had the chance to be the best ever in 2011 and I did think it was a strong possibility at the time but hasn’t won a major since and will be ranked behind selby in the all time list now

Postby Dan-cat

LC wrote:I remember Steve Davis said saying he had the chance to be the best ever in 2011 and I did think it was a strong possibility at the time but hasn’t won a major since and will be ranked behind selby in the all time list now

It was worse than that he said ´he is now the best ever.' when he won against Trumpy after being banned etc

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:I remember Steve Davis said saying he had the chance to be the best ever in 2011 and I did think it was a strong possibility at the time but hasn’t won a major since and will be ranked behind selby in the all time list now

I never paid too much attention when Steve said that. Commentators are prone to hyperbole.

Postby D4P

On one hand, being tied for 4th on the Triple Crown list (behind Ronnie, Hendry, and Davis) seems reasonable for Higgins; on the other hand, being 12 titles behind Ronnie is a much larger gap than would have been expected 20-30 years ago...

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:On one hand, being tied for 4th on the Triple Crown list (behind Ronnie, Hendry, and Davis) seems reasonable for Higgins; on the other hand, being 12 titles behind Ronnie is a much larger gap than would have been expected 20-30 years ago...

No doubt. There used to be a big debate whether Ronnie or Higgins was the greater player. Their career stats were very similar for the first 20 years of their careers. When Higgins then won his fourth World title in 2011 he was even ahead of his main rival. But now Ronnie is miles ahead. So yeah the big gap now is definitely unexpected.

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:
D4P wrote:On one hand, being tied for 4th on the Triple Crown list (behind Ronnie, Hendry, and Davis) seems reasonable for Higgins; on the other hand, being 12 titles behind Ronnie is a much larger gap than would have been expected 20-30 years ago...

No doubt. There used to be a big debate whether Ronnie or Higgins was the greater player. Their career stats were very similar for the first 20 years of their careers. When Higgins then won his fourth World title in 2011 he was even ahead of his main rival. But now Ronnie is miles ahead. So yeah the big gap now is definitely unexpected.

And for one reason alone.

DSP.

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

And for one reason alone.

DSP.

Postby LC

Dan-cat wrote:

It was worse than that he said ´he is now the best ever.' when he won against Trumpy after being banned etc

Think he said the same when ROS won the next year it was him or Parrott

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The other two TC winners in 2011 were Ding and Trump and neither of them won another until 2019. You had a period from 2012-17 when O'Sullivan, Selby and to a lesser extent Robertson won nearly all of them but since 2018 it's been much more open.