Safety Battle
No votes
Mind Games
13%

Total votes : 15

Re: What is youre ideal Snooker Match ?

Postby SnookerFan

I voted drama (unexpected misses).

If a players break-building is perfect, then the match gets boring. If a player comes in, and you know he's going to win from a position he's in, then he does, where's the drama? Not there.

Same can be said for endless safety battles. It's enjoyable to watch players making good safety, then have somebody get out of it and make a good safety themselves. Sometimes a shot whereby a player gets out of an impossible looking safety, and it goes on to make an equally difficult safety, that's as exciting as seeing a pot. But if players are doing endless safety because they're potting success is low, eventually that stops being exciting and becomes tiresome.

Context of the match is what counts. But if I had to choose, I'd pick both players potting well, but under pressure whereby they are likely to miss important shots, even ones that are relatively easy. Obviously, as before, you don't want to see miss, miss, miss. But with both players playing well, then missing the odd tense shot, so you never know whos going to win. That's when snooker is at it's most exciting.

Postby Wildey

in short mistakes is what makes snooker exciting.

that is why hendry was seeing as boring because he did not make that much in break-building you just knew once he in frame over.

attack wise he was as if not more attacking than someone like trump but he rarely missed when in.

Alex Higgins was seeing as exciting because you lived on the edge with him and every shot and you half expected him to miss.

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but the 1985 world final had poor quality but plenty of drama in the final session and its stil regarded as 1 of the best matches of all time Quality of play id struggle to put it in the top 100.

I don't associate that final as being quality snooker. I call it very tense, very absorbing, brilliant viewing. But like you said it would struggle to make top 100 of all time ......................

In fact if Davis had not missed the cut back on the black it would just of been another final. <ok>

id argue against that, 85 was pretty much the peak of snookers popularity and even if Davis had won, the fact hed been ran so close when he was at his peak and we had the only deciding frame WC final of the 80s means this would have been still considered one of the great, memorable finals, dont forget Dennis's comeback too.

Postby Wildey

but standard of the match was dyre especially the final session...

i believe snooker supporters have been spoilt rotten with the likes of Hendry or Ronnie blitzing the table and clearing up in 1 for so long that they forgot what snooker is all about.

snooker is all about what happened in the 1985 final but it was not the standard of play.

Postby GJ

the robbo v gould decider was quality

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:the robbo v gould decider was quality

surprising that you would have Robbo WC in your ideal match choice :redneck:

a real shock <laugh>

big winnings for you today sir :wave: :afro:

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:the robbo v gould decider was quality

surprising that you would have Robbo WC in your ideal match choice :redneck:

shock horror <laugh>

Postby Eirebilly

Afternoon all, I voted and i cant believe that i am the only one that appreciates a good mind battle..... I like all ways snooker is played but i do like the way a player gets into another players head eg Selby really gets into Ronnies head. Its painfull to watch at yimes but i love it :ahh:

Postby Eirebilly

Its just that when you see a Selby or an Ebdon get under the skin of a player of Ronnies qualities, its just amazing. The mind games and matchplay involved in snooker is sometimes not seen but i consider it a major part. Ken Doherty playing against Hendry in 97 used so much game play and mind games it was brilliant. Hendry was twice the player but Ken got at him, it was fantastic to watch.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:Its just that when you see a Selby or an Ebdon get under the skin of a player of Ronnies qualities, its just amazing. The mind games and matchplay involved in snooker is sometimes not seen but i consider it a major part. Ken Doherty playing against Hendry in 97 used so much game play and mind games it was brilliant. Hendry was twice the player but Ken got at him, it was fantastic to watch.

yes i love the battle of the mind over body and talent.

that is why snooker overall is a great leveller where not necessary the player playing better wins.

Postby Eirebilly

Exactly wild, i honestly think that its far too much overlooked. The mind games are a very important aspect to the game. The greatest exponant is Ebdon but Selby is coming along nicely as well, you can just see that Ronnie hates to play him because he knows that Selby is going to mess him up mentally :ahh: