Post a reply

Re: Snooker table query

Postby Roland

You picked the wrong code. Hang on a sec...

Postby Roland

I can't see anything wrong. How big is the image? Did you upload it to 640x480 ("message board" size)?

Postby randam05

oo bloomin eck i dont know! I just uploaded some photps to image shack and copied n pasted the URL.

Postby Roland

Well there you go, it is pretty big so that must be the reason :redneck:

wow, 16ft for half a pocket. No wonder you made that 69 break look easy

Postby Roland

Actually that's a different code

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/img0792q.jpg/

http://a.imageshack.us/img37/2900/img0792q.jpg

the one below is the one used in the forum, the one above takes you to it on imageshack which is the one you linked. Confusing stuff but once you get the hang of it it'll be easy.

Postby randam05

HAHA! dont know why it says 16ft there! Its actually 8cm, wanted to know the width of pockets you lot play on if you could measure please cause mine do some very tight. Anyway...anyway I can make it smaller?

Postby Roland

You'll have to upload it again but choose the rescaling size. I checked my account and I've done some 800x600 which fit in the forum like this:

Postby randam05

oo wheres that beautiful place? ..I will have a go now. Thankyou. And how do I get it to show up on here like you just did?
Last edited by randam05 on 31 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

I would suggest on close inspection, and I may be wrong, but the curve of the cushions look like it'll throw the ball onto the other jaw if hit too hard. In other words, you can get different pockets which are both 8cm span but depending on the cut of the cushion around the pocket you'll get rattlers or balls which fly into the hole on contact no matter how hard you hit them. I would guess your pockets give you a fair amount of rattlers.

Postby Roland

That photo is between Morzine and Avoriaz which is where a stage of the Tour de France finished this year.

On Imageshack once it's uploaded, select the direct link. Don't bother with any of the other formats they have. Then when inserting an image here hit the image button, paste the direct link in and it should work. If you find an image anywhere on the net you want to share here, right click and hit "copy image location" which is also the direct link and do the same. It's easy really.

Postby randam05

woope! can you fit two balls in one hole? :innocent: Thanks for help by the way.

Postby Roland

man, I need to play snooker again and soon. I need to move out of this place and get me some shack with a room big enough for a full size. All I need is a full size, plasma screen, sofa, bar, internet and I won't leave the place :redneck:

Postby randam05

could people please take a pic of two balls in the pocket on their local table to compare or your fist. Wow that does sound lovely. You can buy a large shed for your garden you know..a little insulation, carpet and heating. Build a small bar and a snooker table doesnt cost much if you look around! Dont know how much a 22 x 16 shed costs though..

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:woope! can you fit two balls in one hole?

never tried lol

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:
randam05 wrote:woope! can you fit two balls in one hole?

never tried lol

rofl And i thought your knawladge covered everything wild. ;)

Randam,Your pocket opening is 3" and 5/16th of an inch.

I will be measuring my pockets soon.

And no wild,A sheeps ass doesnt count ;) :selby:

Postby Maui

Hi Guys, I'm loving the idea of the local leagues thread. Really interested in the different formats and standards throughout the country. I've got another 2 weeks before my league starts and can't wait. Will definitely be posting updates & keeping track of all the other leagues once the thread is started. 

Postby randam05

Yup mine starts on the 16th. Dont know who is going to start the thread? Any update on the size of peoples pockets? I read in a 1985 encyclopedia of snooker book that the pocket size in proffessional play in those days was 3 1/2 inch, so in theory mine are tighter than proffessionals but I wonder if it has changed over the years? It probably has. I have looked a lot on the internet to find the official size but cant find it anywhere, does anyone know?

Postby Maui

A lot of tables have different 'sized' pockets, although most of the time it's not so much the size of the pocket, as it is the way the jaws/cushions have been shaped around them.
Most club tables, the jaws have been cut back to help the balls drop in. A good way to tell is to look right along the line of the cushion behind the black spot. On the Pro tables, you can barely see the pocket as the jaws stick out.
Around where I live we've got a couple of these tables, and believe me they're hard work! As John said earlier though, if you hit the centre then you're fine (although it's easier said than done)!
Off the top of my head I don't know the Pro dimensions, but I'll find out on Monday and post it on here. I've got a professional table fitter coming around to stretch the cloth on the table at my house so I'll ask him then.

Postby randam05

oo someone else with a table at home <ok> nice isnt it!?

I know for sure that my pockets are awfully tight though. I know the way they are cut also changes the easyness of balls dropping in aswell and width, thats why I took a picture with two balls in the pocket and theres no way you can get two balls in..nowhere near enough room. Could you also try this on your table please and perhaps take a picture to compare.

Postby Roland

Maui - agree with everything you've just said and very similar reading to the sort of thing I'd come out with. Welcome to the Island <ok>

Postby Maui

It's great having a table at home, even though technically I dont live there anymore but it's my parents house down the road. Saying that though, Im round there all the time playing on it, as my job consists of only 3 days a week (albeit 12 hour shifts), so gives me loads of time to play.

A good friend & teamate of mine also has his own table, and he had his pockets made to the pro standard as he's been trying his luck on the (now defunct) PIOS tour, so wanted match conditions at home. It really is a different ball game, and I consider my table to be tight, when compared to all the other league tables I play on.

I won't be able to get a photo as of yet, as my computer & Internet is down (on my phone now), but when I'm back up and running I'll try and do it. I'll also try and get some of my mates table too.

Another table I have access to is Ronnie O'Sullivans old practice table, as he bought one from a local club, kept it there & had it made to tournament standard so he could practice on it when he used to come and visit his old man in the local clink.

Unfortunately this club has now shut down, but a league team from another local club all chipped in and bought the table, and they now use it as their 'home' match table. I'm a member of this club & have played on this table a few times now. Next time I'm down there, I'll take a pic of that too.

Sonny, thanks for the welcome message but it's not the first time I have posted on here. I believe I've actually had a conversation with you before on the members high break thread?

P.S
I've now started the local league thread if you get chance to have a look at it

Postby Roland

Maybe so, I apologise if that's the case. So many members, you know how it is ;)