Post a reply

How many times have you paid for Matchroom.live for snooker?

Never
71%
Once
No votes
More than once
29%

Total votes : 17

Matchroom.live usage

Postby McManusFan

With the WST classic being broadcast exclusively on Matchroom.live, I thought it might be interesting to see how many of us actually use this service.

You'd think members of a snooker forum would be fairly likely to pay to watch a snooker match on this sort of service, but everyone generally seems nonplussed about it.

How do you feel about matchroom.live, and why?

Re: Matchroom.live usage

Postby HappyCamper

they had a free trial for one event or soemthing i think. so i watched it then on that. but other that it's always been more convenient to use eurosport or wevs.

Postby Juddernaut88

I'll only do it if they have a free trial but I'm not paying for it.

Postby Minimum Break

I signed up last week to watch the Players Championship as ITV is really rubbish with a VPN.

It cost me 4.99 Euros for 1 month. The streaming works well, but the big issue (that I have already emailed them about with no response) is that you can't watch matches on demand. Which is a huge issue when this is the officlal way to watch snooker in other territories, where the timezones are not conducive to watching live.

If they could sort that out, and upload the matches in full with no spoilers shortly after they finish, like Eurosport Player did and Discovery+ do now, it would be much better for people watching around the world.

Postby acesinc

I can't remember how I first learned of Matchroom.Live, but I have been subscribing for about two years now. I don't watch all that much snooker here in the US as the time difference makes it inconvenient and my work keeps me too busy to watch often. When I have free time, I prefer to play the game rather than watch. I like Matchroom.Live a lot for what it offers me and my needs. In the US here, it is literally only $1.99 a month, auto withdrawal from PayPal. Mainly, I use it to watch the World Championship as much as I can, but I check in on other tournaments throughout the year as time allows. $24 a year is well worth it for what I get out of it. Previously, I was restricted to the dodgy, virus-riddled, pirate websites for any live viewing I did. My assumption is that Matchroom.Live is targeting the areas of the world like mine where other options are simply not available. When I tried to find some "legal" way of watching before I found Matchroom.Live, I did find a general sports streaming service that carried the snooker along with a whole lot of other stuff that I have zero interest in. That would have been perhaps $20 or $30 a month. Never even considered that as the amount I watch is nowhere near worth $240 a year or more.

So I guess I am the oddball happy customer with Machroom.Live.

Postby McManusFan

Ah so it looks like it's mainly for the international market. That makes sense.

$24 a year is so much cheaper than it is over here. It's over double, and you get next to nothing snooker wise.

Postby Minimum Break

acesinc wrote:In the US here, it is literally only $1.99 a month, auto withdrawal from PayPal.

Are you sure that is still the price?

Here is my payment history from Australia, the first 3 were in US Dollars and the current one in Euros for some reason.

Dollar 3.99 monthly pass 13 Mar 2021 to 13 Apr 2021
Dollar 4.99 Monthly Pass (USD) 18 Jul 2021 to 18 Aug 2021
Dollar 4.99 Monthly Pass (USD) 29 Mar 2022 to 29 Apr 2022
Euro 4.99 Monthly Pass (EUR) 22 Feb 2023 to 22 Mar 2023

Postby acesinc

Minimum Break wrote:
acesinc wrote:In the US here, it is literally only $1.99 a month, auto withdrawal from PayPal.

Here is my payment history from Australia, the first 3 were in US Dollars and the current one in Euros for some reason.

G'morning, Min. Yes, $1.99/month, auto charged to PayPal on the last calendar day every month. Automatically renews until I choose to stop it. Every month, I receive an email from PayPal (not Matchroom.Live) stating that the $1.99 has been charged by "STREAM UK MEDIA SERVICES LIMITED", presumably the parent company I guess. So this is a subscription that I really don't even need to think about (except for keeping an eye out for anything nefarious of course). I don't use the PayPal for much at all, just a few hundred bucks in there to use where I don't necessarily trust a vendor with credit card information or tiny purchases of a few dollars like this, so it is easy to monitor.

It sounds like your usage is in little packages of a month at a time from date of purchase. So it sounds to me like your marketing there equates to buying a magazine off the rack while I have a continuous subscription to have the magazine delivered every month by Post.

Like anything else, I imagine the pricing is based on supply and demand. There surely aren't all that many fools here in the USA that would pay much for snooker streaming service so the price must necessarily be low to sell anything at all. As I said, I didn't even consider that other service as being too expensive for my usage. What is my personal breaking point? I don't know, but probably in the neighbourhood of where you are at there, perhaps $5 a month. While the charge is monthly, I really look at it more as an annual expense so that I can watch the WC on a reliable stream. $60 a year is probably about at the brink of that for me I suppose.

Postby Minimum Break

acesinc wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

G'morning, Min. Yes, $1.99/month, auto charged to PayPal on the last calendar day every month. Automatically renews until I choose to stop it. Every month, I receive an email from PayPal (not Matchroom.Live) stating that the $1.99 has been charged by "STREAM UK MEDIA SERVICES LIMITED", presumably the parent company I guess. So this is a subscription that I really don't even need to think about (except for keeping an eye out for anything nefarious of course). I don't use the PayPal for much at all, just a few hundred bucks in there to use where I don't necessarily trust a vendor with credit card information or tiny purchases of a few dollars like this, so it is easy to monitor.

It sounds like your usage is in little packages of a month at a time from date of purchase. So it sounds to me like your marketing there equates to buying a magazine off the rack while I have a continuous subscription to have the magazine delivered every month by Post.

Like anything else, I imagine the pricing is based on supply and demand. There surely aren't all that many fools here in the USA that would pay much for snooker streaming service so the price must necessarily be low to sell anything at all. As I said, I didn't even consider that other service as being too expensive for my usage. What is my personal breaking point? I don't know, but probably in the neighbourhood of where you are at there, perhaps $5 a month. While the charge is monthly, I really look at it more as an annual expense so that I can watch the WC on a reliable stream. $60 a year is probably about at the brink of that for me I suppose.

Thanks for the reply Aces.

I think the key for you is you started at 1.99 per month and they've let you stay on that price as you haven't cancelled. I'm pretty sure a new customer has to pay the current price which is 4.99 per month or 44.99 per year whichever country they are in, so you definitely are on a good deal.

The reason I've only used it sporadically is that I've had Eurosport Player and now Discovery Plus that whole time, so the only times I've needed Matchroom.live is to watch tournaments that aren't on Eurosport.

Postby Minimum Break

1st Session of the 6 Reds is starting now.

Logged into Matchroom.live and nothing there, it says it starts in 6 hours.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:Never.

I will never pay anymore to watache snooker.

Sits well with the vow of poverty <ok>

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Sits well with the vow of poverty <ok>

we use broom handles for our cues and potatoes for the balls. We just dip them in paint so we know which colour we are potting.

Postby RunningSide

It's free on Facebook, type free live snooker.

Postby Minimum Break

Minimum Break wrote:Just put it on now, getting audio but no picture.

Went back to the start on Discovery Plus, and reached the point where the pictures dropped out. Farcical.

Postby Minimum Break

As expected, no replays or highlights of yesterday's games have been added to the On Demand section of Matchroom.live.

:sad:

Postby JackHammer

I have an annual subscription to Matchroom.live, as I'm in Canada and there are not many options that I am aware of. The service is not without its short comings such as lost video, lost audio, no rewind, and a few other technical challenges. These are very infrequent. Overall, it does deliver many hours of commercial free, high quality snooker viewing.

Postby Minimum Break

I must say it is very frustrating that you can't go back at all. I'm used to half-watching and going back if I miss something interesting but you can't do it.

Postby McManusFan

Minimum Break wrote:I must say it is very frustrating that you can't go back at all. I'm used to half-watching and going back if I miss something interesting but you can't do it.

That is crap.

Postby Dan-cat

Juddernaut88 wrote:I'll only do it if they have a free trial but I'm not paying for it.

'I pay for Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Dropbox etc etc

BUT HELL WILL FREEZE OVER BEFORE I PAY THE COMPANY THAT RUNS LOADS OF SNOOKER EVENTS'

:hankey:

Postby Juddernaut88

Dan-cat wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I'll only do it if they have a free trial but I'm not paying for it.

BUT HELL WILL FREEZE OVER BEFORE I PAY THE COMPANY THAT RUNS LOADS OF SNOOKER EVENTS'

Add Sky Subscription and other bills and it all adds up. I don't pay for BT sports and everyone knows how much I love my football but BT sports is £25 a month which is a joke.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:

How many people do you know who pay for Dropbox? <laugh>

The issue here isn’t just that it’s £5. It’s £5 extra that many of us wouldn’t have to pay if it had been on Discovery+ as originally advertised. People have a right to be snake hissed off about that be it down to contract issues, carelessness, greed or whatever.

Many people are currently reducing the number of streaming services and other luxuries they use because of the current economic climate, and Matchroom are asking us to pay more money to watch a tournament that they’ve put on that isn’t available anywhere else.

Postby HappyCamper

if you work in music/media those files really do take up a lot of space.

Postby Minimum Break

Dear subscriber,

We are writing to you regarding your monthly subscription to the Matchroom.Live service.

As we continue to bring you the very best of the live and on-demand action from across our portfolio of sports, we are being affected by cost increases across the board.

To help us to continue to deliver and improve our service, we have taken the decision to increase monthly charges to €5.99 per month - an increase of just €1 per month.

This is the first time we have increased prices since the Matchroom.Live service was introduced almost three years ago.

Our exclusive action archive now numbers more than 5,000 videos and we continue to bring you thousands of live matches per year across snooker, pool and much more.

The change will take effect from 14th April 2023, meaning your first monthly renewal after this date will be charged at the increased rate.

Should you wish to cancel your subscription with us, you can do so via the My Account page on Matchroom Live or contact us via matchroomlivesupport@streamamg.com

Thank you for your continued support of the Matchroom.Live service.

Postby Minimum Break

The part about the first price increase since they started is also untrue. If you scroll up you can see I paid 3.99 US Dollars in April 2021, then it went to 4.99 by July 2021.