Post a reply

Why haven't the top players won ranking events this season?

Age-related decline
10%
Lack of interest
20%
Other players improving
20%
Random coincidence
40%
Other
10%

Total votes : 10

Why haven't the top players won ranking events this season?

Postby D4P

The Welsh Open marks the 11th ranking event of the season, and only 1 of those 11 will have been won by Selby/Ronnie/Judd/Robertson/Williams/Higgins. What do you think is the single most accurate explanation for why the top players haven't won ranking events so far this season?

Re: Why haven't the top players won ranking events this seas

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:The Welsh Open marks the 11th ranking event of the season, and only 1 of those 11 will have been won by Selby/Ronnie/Judd/Robertson/Williams/Higgins. What do you think is the single most accurate explanation for why the top players haven't won ranking events so far this season?

I think the main reason is because other people have won the tournaments instead.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:The Welsh Open marks the 11th ranking event of the season, and only 1 of those 11 will have been won by Selby/Ronnie/Judd/Robertson/Williams/Higgins. What do you think is the single most accurate explanation for why the top players haven't won ranking events so far this season?

I think the main reason is because other people have won the tournaments instead.

:goodpost:

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:There really isn’t any difference between rankers and non rankers. They are tournaments featuring top players with varying amounts of frames and cash available.

Yes and invitational events are shorter, yet still have excellent prize money. It's not unreasonable for the top players to do better in them. But I agree it makes a mockery of the rankings, both 1-year and 2-year.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Players don't give a rat's bottom if they win a ranker or a invitational, they just care about the prize money.

So, you think that players don't care about improving their world ranking?

You think players don't care whether they get into The Masters, or not? You think players don't care about getting into the top-16 when The Crucible is coming up? You don't think players want to get enough ranking points on the one-year list to get into the World Grand Prix, Players Championships or Tour Championships?

Of course players want to win non-ranking tournaments, and maximize their prize money as well. That doesn't mean they "don't give a damn" about winning ranking events.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Players don't give a rat's bottom if they win a ranker or a invitational, they just care about the prize money.

So, you think that players don't care about improving their world ranking?

You think players don't care whether they get into The Masters, or not? You think players don't care about getting into the top-16 when The Crucible is coming up? You don't think players want to get enough ranking points on the one-year list to get into the World Grand Prix, Players Championships or Tour Championships?

Of course players want to win non-ranking tournaments, and maximize their prize money as well. That doesn't mean they "don't give a damn" about winning ranking events.

Postby The_Abbott

Jimmy plays for the ranking points.

I think its between an improvement from other players - they see others winning and gives them the belief that they can also win a title and a lack of interest - for various reasons we know Ronnie is Ronnie. Higgins is not in great form, Selby has off table issues, Robbo probably got lost.

I like snooker is so open. Its boring when the same players winning everything.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Jimmy plays for the ranking points.

I think its between an improvement from other players - they see others winning and gives them the belief that they can also win a title and a lack of interest - for various reasons we know Ronnie is Ronnie. Higgins is not in great form, Selby has off table issues, Robbo probably got lost.

I like snooker is so open. Its boring when the same players winning everything.

We always hear about how the strength in depth is great these days, but then people throw their toys out of their pram if somebody who isn't in the top-16 wins a tournament.

Do we want to go back to the 1980s, where a Steve Davis type won everything? Be kind of boring.

Postby Dragonfly

It's good to see a bit more variety this season. However come the long matches at the Crucible I expect to see the familiar faces at the business end.

It's just strange that some very big names, O'Sullivan, Robertson and Trump have all been poor enough by their standards, all at the same time.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:There really isn’t any difference between rankers and non rankers. They are tournaments featuring top players with varying amounts of frames and cash available.

I believe that ranking events affect a players' rank, and non-rankers don't though.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

I believe that ranking events affect a players' rank, and non-rankers don't though.

Interesting hypothesis :chin:

Show your workings <ok>

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Interesting hypothesis :chin:

Show your workings <ok>

Rankings before and after winning the Shoot Out:

Anthony McGill

Michael Georgiou

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh

Michael Holt

Ryan Day

Hossein Vafaei

Postby Granite

Combination of form and lack of interest imo

Judd Trump is unexplainable but the rest there's varying reasons.

Higgins took a lot of blows last year losing 5 finals so it was always going to be hard to replicate anything similar.

Pretty easy to tell O'Sullivan has 0 interest in bo7 matches and the current tour is mainly just that. Arguable he revolves his form around the Worlds and Triple Crowns these days.

Robertson could be trying to save his best for the Worlds.

Postby lhpirnie

D4P wrote:Mark Allen suggests that playing conditions have been very poor this year:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/17/neil-rob ... -18463507/

Yes, I agree with that. I'm pretty sure the tables have been re-covered less often.

Table technology is something I think should have been researched more. It may not be in the table suppliers' interests to reduce the costs of table maintenance.