Post a reply

Re: Olivier

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:He's not bad ref, just needs more confidence

I think he needs more high profile matches (to build his confidence and presence), and I'd like to see him do the World Final this season.

I will campaign for this, as I think he adds something to the big occasions. <ok>

Marteel <cool>

Postby Alex0paul

Shocking ref. In the same bracket as Leo.

Postby Smart

Alex0paul WC wrote:Shocking ref. In the same bracket as Leo.

I think it is harsh to mention Olivier in the same sentence as Leo. I feel Leo gives his best shot but players tend to feel they can assert their authority over him........seen it with Ebbo, ROS.

Marteel <cool>

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Shocking ref. In the same bracket as Leo.

I think it is harsh to mention Olivier in the same sentence as Leo. I feel Leo gives his best shot but players tend to feel they can assert their authority over him........seen it with Ebbo, ROS.

Marteel <cool>

If it wasn't for Marteel's incompetence in the Gould v Robertson match then maybe we would have had a different WC this year.

Postby Smart

You can't blame Marteel for Robbo being a parakeet............................... Marteel is reliant upon players not taking the mickey with the rules, and Gouldy should of said something BUT he is too much of a nice guy (and a proper sportsman).

I am writing to BH tomorrow......

"Marteel for the World Final" <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:You can't blame Marteel for Robbo being a parakeet............................... Marteel is reliant upon players not taking the mickey with the rules, and Gouldy should of said something BUT he is too much of a nice guy (and a proper sportsman).

I am writing to BH tomorrow......

Have you forgotten the incident when he picked up the cueball instead of the pink from the pocket when Gould was on a break? Took ages replacing one ball only for Gould to miss. That was the turning point.

Postby Smart

I think the turning point(s) were some bad misses early on at the start of the session when Gouldy was leading 11-5. He could not reproduce the same form from the 2nd session. Marteel was not to blame - and Robbo's tactics were very questionable but he got the result, and that is what its all about. Win ugly, win dirty, but whatever you do win. <ok>

Postby GJ

exellent ref

IMO

:afro:

Postby Monique

Olivier is a good ref who by his own admission has still a lot to learn. He was extremely annoyed with himself about that incident and went to apologise to Martin after the match. Martin never blamed him though.
During and after his press conference Martin explained that the fantastic second session, and the audience reaction to his performance, left him extremely high on adrenalin. He couldn't sleep properly and the next day felt flat with nothing left in the tank. This of course is related to the fact that it was his first time at such stage of the WC. It was an overwhelming feeling but one he couldn't manage well enough ... Next time he won't falter I'm sure.

Postby SnookerFan

Unfortunately, he made quite a high profile mistake early in his career. Rightly or wrongly, he'll probably be judged on that.

Obviously all referees make mistakes, even the top ones. At the same world championships Michaela made a high profile mistake, picking up the cue-ball instead of a colour. But because she was more established (and it was easier to correct this mistake) it got glossed over. Even ended up on the humour reel at the end of the tournament. Even Jan the Man is up on You Tube forgetting to put a colour (black I think) back on it's spot after it was potted.

Neither of these mistakes are big ones perhaps, but pretty elementary ones to make. Marteel was unfortunate enough to make a big mistake, quite early on in his career. Not only might this make it difficult for World Snooker to trust him again in big matches, but it'll knock his confidence something chronic.

We'll see if he can come back from this.

Postby Monique

He was quite down on himself for it but told me later he had got great support from the other refs and it helped him a lot

Postby Wildey

everyone makes mistakes its not fair to expect a ref to not make them...player misses pots and footballers miss open net but when a ref cockerels up a bigger deal is made of it.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:everyone makes mistakes its not fair to expect a ref to not make them...player misses pots and footballers miss open net but when a ref cockerels up a bigger deal is made of it.

Especially in football.

But I can see how it would be annoying if a player or team lost due to a referee mistake, rather then because of themselves. They play badly, they only effect themselves. But if they get cost because of the referee, it must be frustrating. It becomes more frustrating when you remember it'

Postby Roland

Michaela talks about this sort of thing in her interview.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:everyone makes mistakes its not fair to expect a ref to not make them...player misses pots and footballers miss open net but when a ref cockerels up a bigger deal is made of it.

Especially in football.

But I can see how it would be annoying if a player or team lost due to a referee mistake, rather then because of themselves. They play badly, they only effect themselves. But if they get cost because of the referee, it must be frustrating. It becomes more frustrating when you remember it'

yes it is annoying but you cant condemn a ref for ever due to it they only human...

im the first to say ref you need specs but never remove him or her due to human error from a job.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Michaela talks about this sort of thing in her interview.

Name dropper.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes it is annoying but you cant condemn a ref for ever due to it they only human...

im the first to say ref you need specs but never remove him or her due to human error from a job.

Of course you can't. I was just trying to see it from both sides.

I think there is a certain gentlemanly element in snooker, unlike in other sports. When a referee makes an error in football, you hear about it for months after. Years sometimes in big games. So at least the players involved didn't get on top of the ref. That's nice to see.

There will always be human error, in anything you do. It's happened to us all at some point.

Postby Wildey

in football refs have lost their job due to human error.....surely that is wrong

Postby Roland

It's wrong to lose your job because of human error? How the buck else do you lose a job?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:It's wrong to lose your job because of human error? How the buck else do you lose a job?

good point <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It's wrong to lose your job because of human error? How the buck else do you lose a job?

Cut-backs, due to profit being down.

Postby Monique

Whatever Olivier will not lose his job; like many refs he actually does this as a side job and takes on his hols from his main job to do it. Olivier is a paramedic in an emergency service in a big hospital.
Shame it was Léo, not Olivier, reffing when Ebbo "fainted" ;)

Postby Smart

Marteel for the World Final. :D

Can this topic be stickered for maximum exposure, this campaign needs to be maximised..................unfortunately BH was "out of office today". :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:Marteel for the World Final. :D

Can this topic be stickered for maximum exposure, this campaign needs to be maximised..................unfortunately BH was "out of office today". :wave:

It aint gonna happen.

Then again, with Hearn, if he thought somebody was a ratings winner, he'd whack them right in.