Post a reply

Baize Colour?

Postby Jack50

What do you prefer? Green is traditional, but I've got thinking Blue could be better. Thoughts?

Re: Baize Colour?

Postby SnookerFan

Jack50 wrote:What do you prefer? Green is traditional, but I've got thinking Blue could be better. Thoughts?

Didn't they discuss this on the BBC some years ago?

It's green because that's the colour that shows the balls up better.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Jack50 wrote:What do you prefer? Green is traditional, but I've got thinking Blue could be better. Thoughts?

Didn't they discuss this on the BBC some years ago?

It's green because that's the colour that shows the balls up better.

Not the green ball, I can never see it, just kidding, you’re right, think its same reason film industry switched from blue screen to green screen, better luminosity or something like that.

Postby Jack50

Hashtag Blue Baize SNOOKER!

Postby Jack50

UP BLUE BAIZE!

Postby badtemperedcyril

Snooker, or rather billiards, evolved as an indoor version of croquet. So the Green baize was to imitate grass. Some early forms of billiard tables had hoops on them and no pockets, as in croquet and they hit the balls with a mace rather than a pointy ended cue.

Postby SnookerFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:Snooker, or rather billiards, evolved as an indoor version of croquet. So the Green baize was to imitate grass. Some early forms of billiard tables had hoops on them and no pockets, as in croquet and they hit the balls with a mace rather than a pointy ended cue.

Postby The_Abbott

badtemperedcyril wrote:Snooker, or rather billiards, evolved as an indoor version of croquet. So the Green baize was to imitate grass. Some early forms of billiard tables had hoops on them and no pockets, as in croquet and they hit the balls with a mace rather than a pointy ended cue.

I wonder if anyone still plays with a croquet? I might try it out next time.

Postby Jack50

The_Abbott wrote:

I wonder if anyone still plays with a croquet? I might try it out next time.

I played it last with a girl(woman)friend. I had to sandbag though. Reasonable game.

Postby Jack50

I changed my mind about this. I prefer the more traditional green now. Cheers, Jack.