Post a reply

Is this the end.

Postby RunningSide

Played Saturday, not played for a month, first visit 3 pinks and reds.played in a different club,nice place and table. Without warning started making stupid decisions, taking balls in wrong order, forgetting basic shots etc..Any of our senior Islanders had similar issues, my mate convinced I've started with alzheimer's, pretty sure it's not.

Re: Is this the end.

Postby Prop

Sounds familiar to me. I don’t play very often any more, maybe once a month at best. I usually start really well - nice and smooth, not bashing at it, staying still on the shot - and maybe knock in a 30, thinking “yeah I’m playing ok to say it’s been ages”.

Then by frame two (and for the next couple of hours) my game just goes. Can’t see the pots, cueing sideways, lashing at shots.

I don’t know if I’d get my standard back up by playing more regularly, but this rapid decline after a good start is something I’ve come to expect.

Postby Jack50

I am very hot and very cold. I went months without a 30 break before a 51 break. Before that I couldn't get about 27 for ages and got 42. Snooker at Amateur level is legendary I think.

Postby Raiel

If you think you might have Alzheimer's, I recommend you to go and get tested. A friend of mine had several symptoms. He kept mounting the pavement when driving and going through red lights. He also put a bottle of bleach in his fridge, and he put a carton of orange juice in the washing machine. He thought it was funny at the time and didn't make anything of it. But he got worse, got a test, and he did have Alzheimer's. He is in a care home now. So, I don't want to worry you unduly. But, in my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry. He was given some medication which slowed the progression of the illness down. And he also had some other medication which did make him a bit better for a while.

Postby RunningSide

Not worried about possible alzheimer's been cause ,only highlighted by mate because he couldn't understand how I started match ok then suddenly nosedive. I've excepted not improving or having any consistency in the last year.I have personal experience of dementia type conditions uncle who introduced me to snooker died recently and managed to play upto his last year, I did see his deteration closely and hopefully recognise the signs.

Postby Raiel

RunningSide wrote:Not worried about possible alzheimer's been cause ,only highlighted by mate because he couldn't understand how I started match ok then suddenly nosedive. I've excepted not improving or having any consistency in the last year.I have personal experience of dementia type conditions uncle who introduced me to snooker died recently and managed to play upto his last year, I did see his deteration closely and hopefully recognise the signs.

That's OK then. <ok>

Postby RunningSide

Raiel wrote:
RunningSide wrote:Not worried about possible alzheimer's been cause ,only highlighted by mate because he couldn't understand how I started match ok then suddenly nosedive. I've excepted not improving or having any consistency in the last year.I have personal experience of dementia type conditions uncle who introduced me to snooker died recently and managed to play upto his last year, I did see his deteration closely and hopefully recognise the signs.

That's OK then. <ok>

Thanks for imput.

Postby The_Abbott

Its why I rarely play. I played a couple of times when I was away at a hotel recently

I blow extremely hot and cold. I sometimes get some long range crackers then miss an easy red or colour from like 1 yard out. Probably trying to be clever with the cue ball but end up looking like a moron. People watching snigger so you get defensive with the "forgot my glasses today!"

I also have problems pacing the ball these days. Its not the cloths its just my bad cue action.

Postby RunningSide

Dan-cat wrote:I think playing Snooker is pointless unless you play multiple times a week.

You're probably right, sad thing when you retire you have more time to play but it's so much more difficult.

Postby Sickpotter

The days when I could quit the game for 6-12 months and then be right back playing to a high standard within 10 frames are long gone. :irk:

These days I get out for a half dozen frames once a week and feel like I've played well if I string a 50 run together. It's just a fun night out at my local legion and hardly enough to keep my game sharp but I'll take what I can get. :spot on:

As you get older I think the main thing is to just enjoy your friends and time at the table. It won't last forever and your game is sure to desert you before the people you meet playing this game will :hatoff:

Postby Raiel

Sickpotter wrote:The days when I could quit the game for 6-12 months and then be right back playing to a high standard within 10 frames are long gone. :irk:

These days I get out for a half dozen frames once a week and feel like I've played well if I string a 50 run together. It's just a fun night out at my local legion and hardly enough to keep my game sharp but I'll take what I can get. :spot on:

As you get older I think the main thing is to just enjoy your friends and time at the table. It won't last forever and your game is sure to desert you before the people you meet playing this game will :hatoff:

:goodpost:

Postby Andre147

Is this the end
Hold your breath and count to ten

Postby Jack50

Dan-cat wrote:I think playing Snooker is pointless unless you play multiple times a week.

Play for fun.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't play, so might be talking out of my bottom.

But doesn't it depend what you mean by pointless. If you enjoy doing something, is anything pointless?

I mean, I understand you're point. To improve, or even to maintain a certain standard, you need to play often or you begin to lose it. But if somebody doesn't get the time to do that, but enjoys playing occasionally, no matter how low their standard, shouldn't they feel that they should be allowed to?

Postby Juddernaut88

Nowadays I probably play like once every 2 weeks. It all depends on having the time to play. I think I need to try and get in the habit of playing once a week at least but it's not easy.

Postby mantorok

Snooker is still fun when you play irregularly, unless you are the serious type who gets all frustrated and mad when they miss balls, I still enjoy knocking them about, my standard has been the same for 20 years and doesn't really dip when I have long breaks, so no problem.

I assume when you say "pointless" you mean without improvement, but competing at any level is still fun for the participants, so I'm not really sure what you mean?

Postby RunningSide

Some interesting comments, for me I still enjoy playing and the competition side, I've accepted not going to get any better. What concerns me on Saturday I potted a few balls out of sequence and even though concentraton seems OK lost basic touch.

Postby The_Abbott

does anyone stick their tongue out Ricky Walden style when they cue?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

I don't play, so might be talking out of my bottom.

But doesn't it depend what you mean by pointless. If you enjoy doing something, is anything pointless?

I mean, I understand you're point. To improve, or even to maintain a certain standard, you need to play often or you begin to lose it. But if somebody doesn't get the time to do that, but enjoys playing occasionally, no matter how low their standard, shouldn't they feel that they should be allowed to?

Yes, I will allow it.

I was referring to the OP: wondering why sometimes you are hitting everything and other times not and whether ‘this is the end’…

Play an hour a day for a month and tell me it’s the end.

I was better when I was 20: had nothing to do with youth and everything to do with playing for 45 minutes a day on weekdays and several hours at the weekend.