Post a reply

Selby is an impressive breakbuilder

Postby Acé

I was looking at the list of the greatest breakbuilders the game has had and Selby actually has an impressive strike rate total and more importantly, percentage wise has to be meaningful against that total

i'm quiet shocked at this, his strike rate is similar to Ding's

Re: Selby is an impressive breakbuilder

Postby Acé

obviously Ronnie is miles ahead of everyone else total, percentage and strike rate wise with a whooping 43% vs 5000+ breaks

but Judd's the only player to have a strike rate in the 40s against 3500 breaks, so not on the level of Ronnie obviously but is the 2nd best

now that can dip or increase no one knows

I thought Robertson would be in the 40s but he has less

Postby Acé

adding the century breaks wouldn't make any difference I think everyone would be placed as they are but Selby definitely surprised me I thought he would have a Davis/White or least, Williams level strike rate against a handful of breaks strike rate

having said that Selby is more than likely to have a decrease in that as he gets older but as it stands he's up there

Postby Acé

actually that table also includes 100 century breaks, the total includes from 50-100 breaks cuetracker just didn't bother to add a "100" section

must be a nightmare to keep updating that table though :dizzy:

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:He is somewhere between 6th to 8th greatest breakbuilder of all time which is obviously pretty good.

what's your top 5 bro?

mine is

1. Ronnie
2. Judd
3. Hendry
4. Robertson
5. Ding

crazy how this game is a lot between the ears + fear factor, safety play etc cuz 3/4 players in my top 5 only have won 2 world titles combined you have to be elite to win the world championship with an attacking game

Davis is a 6x champion with a 25% strike rate ffs lucked out massively he did in the 80s, that would never ever fly from 2000+ - current era, not even close

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:Davis is a 6x champion with a 25% strike rate ffs lucked out massively he did in the 80s, that would never ever fly from 2000+ - current era, not even close

Bear in mind the players you mentioned probably would have much lower strike rates on 80s tables too. Also Davis carried on for a long time past his best which none of your top 5 have done yet (Hendry retiring before slipping that far.)

Not to mention they built on the foundations laid out by Davis.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:Davis is a 6x champion with a 25% strike rate ffs lucked out massively he did in the 80s, that would never ever fly from 2000+ - current era, not even close

Bear in mind the players you mentioned probably would have much lower strike rates on 80s tables too. Also Davis carried on for a long time past his best which none of your top 5 have done yet (Hendry retiring before slipping that far.)

couldn't give a buck about whatever foundations either of those players play like they do because that's what their arsenal possesses, whoever was born earlier would've laid the foundation, his strike rate of a 25% is very poor against the amount of frames played + Ronnie and Robertson are still clocking in big break frames and winning multiple tournaments in their 40s, one of them is close to 50 and Davis was nowhere close to being a serial winner in his 40s

Davis lucked out massively and in a very weak era to boot, he's not deserving of 6 titles AT ALL

the old man would never win 6 world championship titles with a 25% break building percentage in the modern era, the era he thriving in had lesser players and snooker was played in a lower skill level

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:
TheRocket wrote:He is somewhere between 6th to 8th greatest breakbuilder of all time which is obviously pretty good.

what's your top 5 bro?

mine is

1. Ronnie
2. Judd
3. Hendry
4. Robertson
5. Ding

1. Ronnie
2. Judd
3. Robertson
4. Hendry
5. Higgins

I'd put Ding on 6 and Selby on 7.

Some might disagree with Judd and Robbo being above Hendry but breakbuilding has evolved and reached a different level in the 21st century. Hendry has set the benchmark and 3 players have surpassed him in that department. Can't argue against the numbers.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:couldn't give a buck about whatever foundations either of those players play like they do because that's what their arsenal possesses, whoever was born earlier would've laid the foundation, his strike rate of a 25% is very poor against the amount of frames played + Ronnie and Robertson are still clocking in big break frames and winning multiple tournaments in their 40s, one of them is close to 50 and Davis was nowhere close to being a serial winner in his 40s

Davis lucked out massively and in a very weak era to boot, he's not deserving of 6 titles AT ALL

the old man would never win 6 world championship titles with a 25% break building percentage in the modern era, the era he thriving in had lesser players and snooker was played in a lower skill level

Right, but Davis peaked a lot sooner and his wins were a lot more condensed than Ronnie or Robbo’s. What was his strike rate between 1980-1990 or similar? You’re judging as if 25% was a constant rate throughout his career when it might not have been. Look how his century tallies dropped off after the mid-90s: https://cuetracker.net/players/steve-da ... statistics

I think it’s clear that the game has changed for whatever reason and that players in general are playing well later in life than he were 15-20 years ago. Davis was in the top 16 in 2008 long after his best. Of course he probably wouldn’t have been a six-time world champion but you’re being extremely dismissive of how good he was.

You’ve also ignored what I said about the tables.

Postby LC

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

couldn't give a buck about whatever foundations either of those players play like they do because that's what their arsenal possesses, whoever was born earlier would've laid the foundation, his strike rate of a 25% is very poor against the amount of frames played + Ronnie and Robertson are still clocking in big break frames and winning multiple tournaments in their 40s, one of them is close to 50 and Davis was nowhere close to being a serial winner in his 40s

Your being a bit harsh on Davis, he admitted himself in the interview with Ronnie for Eurosport off about 6 year ago that the standard wasn’t great in the 80s but he was far ahead of everyone until hendry, he probably still kicks himself he lost to Taylor and johnson, maybe not the Johnson one as he was on fire that tournament but definitely Taylor

Postby Johnny Bravo

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

:spot on: :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: <ok>

I agree with you, Davis is nowhere near the modern ATGs. But you have to judge every player based on what he achieved in his own era, and Davis is an ATG.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 12 Nov 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:1. Ronnie
2. Judd
3. Robertson
4. Hendry
5. Higgins

I'd put Ding on 6 and Selby on 7.

Some might disagree with Judd and Robbo being above Hendry but breakbuilding has evolved and reached a different level in the 21st century. Hendry has set the benchmark and 3 players have surpassed him in that department. Can't argue against the numbers.

Perfect list and I completely agree about Robbo and Judd being above Hendry.

Postby Acé

LC wrote:Your being a bit harsh on Davis, he admitted himself in the interview with Ronnie for Eurosport off about 6 year ago that the standard wasn’t great in the 80s but he was far ahead of everyone until hendry, he probably still kicks himself he lost to Taylor and johnson, maybe not the Johnson one as he was on fire that tournament but definitely Taylor