Post a reply

Re: Robertson has won the last 12/13 matches against Selby

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Its because Robertsons best game is better than Selbys best. And the Aussie knows its up to him how the match goes. Unless he goes into Pythagoras mode which he wrongly did in the WC 2020 he will beat Selby.

Robbo has admited to this himself.

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Its because Robertsons best game is better than Selbys best. And the Aussie knows its up to him how the match goes. Unless he goes into Pythagoras mode which he wrongly did in the WC 2020 he will beat Selby.

It's your turn to post a question on the Identify the match quiz <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

It's your turn to post a question on the Identify the match quiz <ok>

There’s an Identify That Match thread, please use it :hmmm:

Postby Acé

Andre147 wrote:

Source?

Robertson said he's outright better than Selby?

Postby Dragonfly

I'm not sure Robertsons best is better than Selby. Not at the Worlds anyway. Selby has won it many more times than Robertson. And Selby was only denied another place in the final by a miracle 3 frames from O'Sullivan. I think Selby is more likely to win another title than Robertson. Robertson is more talented no doubt, but I can't say he's the better player

Postby TheRocket

Dragonfly wrote:

I'm not sure Robertsons best is better than Selby. Not at the Worlds anyway. Selby has won it many more times than Robertson. And Selby was only denied another place in the final by a miracle 3 frames from O'Sullivan. I think Selby is more likely to win another title than Robertson. Robertson is more talented no doubt, but I can't say he's the better player

We know that Robertson has a problem at the Crucible. A mental problem that is.

But when it purely comes to playing the game to a higher level Robertson has a higher peak level than Selby. I watched all their matches over the last few years. And whenever Robertson plays anywhere near to a good level he always beats Selby irrespective of how well Selby plays. And their H2H also demonstrates that.

Selby obviously has the better career stats so he will be regarded as the greater player, no doubt but Robertson and Trump as well btw have the higher peak level.

Postby Prop

TheRocket wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

But when it purely comes to playing the game to a higher level Robertson has a higher peak level than Selby. I watched all their matches over the last few years. And whenever Robertson plays anywhere near to a good level he always beats Selby irrespective of how well Selby plays. And their H2H also demonstrates that.

Selby obviously has the better career stats so he will be regarded as the greater player, no doubt but Robertson and Trump as well btw have the higher peak level.

I’d add to that the fact that Selby’s peak game (Hoover mode) isn’t actually that far behind Robbo’s - he does have the ability to bang in 90, 120, 80, 100 - but it just doesn’t happen anywhere near as consistently. Selby’s B game is his comfort blanket, and he often reverts to that even when he could go toe to toe with most opponents playing attacking snooker.

Robbo has confidence in his A game, but goes to rubbish when he tries to get technical with a B game.

Selby doesn’t have confidence in his A game, but absolute confidence in his B game. So much so that his B game is pretty much his A game now.

Postby Iranu

People underestimate Selby’s peak game because even when he’s at his best people either a) find him boring to watch or b) dislike him so much that they can’t get past it.

As someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy watching either of them, I’d say they’re about equal in ‘peak’ game (whatever that even means). Robbo edges the attacking play but Selby has the best safety game in the world and is also more clever tactically.

Postby TheRocket

@prop

The margins at this level are rather small so yes you're right when you say that Selbys peak game isnt far behind Robertsons. But Robertson nevertheless has the edge and lets say both are in good form/in good shape and we would have a 10 match series between them Robertson for me would be the winner on 7 or 8 occasions. Same applies to Trump v Selby.

Postby Acé

Prop wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

I’d add to that the fact that Selby’s peak game (Hoover mode) isn’t actually that far behind Robbo’s - he does have the ability to bang in 90, 120, 80, 100 - but it just doesn’t happen anywhere near as consistently. Selby’s B game is his comfort blanket, and he often reverts to that even when he could go toe to toe with most opponents playing attacking snooker.

Robbo has confidence in his A game, but goes to rubbish when he tries to get technical with a B game.

Selby doesn’t have confidence in his A game, but absolute confidence in his B game. So much so that his B game is pretty much his A game now.

Robertson's A game > Selby's A game but Selby's B game >>> Robertson's B game

there is a bigger gap between Robertson's A and B game than Selby's A and B game, even though Selby majority of the times plays with his B game to win matches, Robertson mostly does it with A and kinda has to to win

that is how I see it

that's why there's a huge defecit in World titles 4 > 1 is shocking
Last edited by Acé on 01 Nov 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Prop

Acé wrote:
Prop wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

there is a bigger gap between Robertson's A and B game than Selby's A and B game, even though Selby majority of the times plays with his B game to win matches, Robertson mostly does it with A and kinda has to to win

that is how I see it

that's where there's a huge defecit in World titles 4 > 1 is shocking

Sounds fair to me.

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:

that is how I see it

that's where there's a huge defecit in World titles 4 > 1 is shocking

pretty much this.

Postby Acé

The only ones I know who's won majority of their world titles with their A game is Ronnie and Hendry they can cruise their game across the entire event

Ronnie had a 94% pot success across the entire tournament for his 7th world including a 94% pot success every match he played in, THAT IS HUGE + good safety to back that up

Robertson ain't gonna ever do that (maybe first week) but ofc I'm comparing different level of players here

Postby TheRocket

I checked out the later stages H2H (quarters,semis,finals) between Robertson and Selby. They played 19 matches from the quarters on and Robertson has won 14 of them. Which is a winning percentage of around 74%. And Trump even won 8 of his 9 matches from the quarters on against Selby. No way thats coincidence.

There is no doubt that there is obviously something about their game that makes them beat Selby consistently.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:I checked out the later stages H2H (quarters,semis,finals) between Robertson and Selby. They played 19 matches from the quarters on and Robertson has won 14 of them. Which is a winning percentage of around 74%. And Trump even won 5 of his 6 matches from the quarters on against Selby. No way thats coincidence.

There is no doubt that there is obviously something about their game that makes them beat Selby consistently.

Selby better over the distance takes time where his game to click in

ofc that isn't an excuse given 90% of the tour is catered for best of 11 matches and a bo19 final

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:I checked out the later stages H2H (quarters,semis,finals) between Robertson and Selby. They played 19 matches from the quarters on and Robertson has won 14 of them. Which is a winning percentage of around 74%. And Trump even won 8 of his 9 matches from the quarters on against Selby. No way thats coincidence.

I think it might be that his game just doesn’t match up well to theirs. They’re both powerhouses who bully the table and excellent long potting.

Compared to someone like Ronnie who’s less explosive than them and doesn’t have as strong a long game. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better than Selby, just their strengths coincide with how best to beat him.

I’d be interested to know what the multi-session stats are between them.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I checked out the later stages H2H (quarters,semis,finals) between Robertson and Selby. They played 19 matches from the quarters on and Robertson has won 14 of them. Which is a winning percentage of around 74%. And Trump even won 8 of his 9 matches from the quarters on against Selby. No way thats coincidence.

I think it might be that his game just doesn’t match up well to theirs. They’re both powerhouses who bully the table and excellent long potting.

Compared to someone like Ronnie who’s less explosive than them and doesn’t have as strong a long game. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better than Selby, just their strengths coincide with how best to beat him.

I’d be interested to know what the multi-session stats are between them.

Imo Ronnie is mentally weak against Selby. And against Higgins as well. If he had Robertsons or Trumps mindset when he plays them he would have had much more success. I'm glad hes won the 2020 semis though. Otherwise he would be still on 5 World titles now.

As for the multi session stats. Trump has won both of his multi session matches against Selby and Selby actually never beat him in a bo11 or above. In 5 attempts. As for Robertson hes leading Selby 4:3 in multi session matches.