Post a reply

Re: Robertson has won the last 12/13 matches against Selby

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dragonfly wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Its because Robertsons best game is better than Selbys best. And the Aussie knows its up to him how the match goes. Unless he goes into Pythagoras mode which he wrongly did in the WC 2020 he will beat Selby.

I'm not sure Robertsons best is better than Selby. Not at the Worlds anyway. Selby has won it many more times than Robertson. And Selby was only denied another place in the final by a miracle 3 frames from O'Sullivan. I think Selby is more likely to win another title than Robertson. Robertson is more talented no doubt, but I can't say he's the better player

Robertson's A game is clearly better than Selby's, that is as clear as day to anyone with a pair of eyes.
Selby simply has more world titles cause he's mentally stronger and cause as we all know, it's almost impossible to maintain your A game during the entirety of such a long vent, thus one has to use his B game, and Selby's is much better.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:We know that Robertson has a problem at the Crucible. A mental problem that is.

But when it purely comes to playing the game to a higher level Robertson has a higher peak level than Selby. I watched all their matches over the last few years. And whenever Robertson plays anywhere near to a good level he always beats Selby irrespective of how well Selby plays. And their H2H also demonstrates that.

Selby obviously has the better career stats so he will be regarded as the greater player, no doubt but Robertson and Trump as well btw have the higher peak level.

Exactly.

Robbo and Trump's scoring power blow Selby out of the water.

Postby Juddernaut88

Robbo would be disappointed if he didn't win at least 1 more world title. Same with Judd as well. Although with Judd being younger he really should be looking at winning another 2 world titles minimum. Anything less would be a disappointment.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:Robbo would be disappointed if he didn't win at least 1 more world title. Same with Judd as well. Although with Judd being younger he really should be looking at winning another 2 world titles minimum. Anything less would be a disappointment.

I hope they will both win at least one more. They are far too good to be stuck with 1.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:Robbo would be disappointed if he didn't win at least 1 more world title. Same with Judd as well. Although with Judd being younger he really should be looking at winning another 2 world titles minimum. Anything less would be a disappointment.

Trump will definitely win at least 1 more.
I hope Robbo can do it too.

Postby Ck147

TheRocket wrote:

I hope they will both win at least one more. They are far too good to be stuck with 1.

This

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:

A World Final between Judd and Robbo would be a dream. Their Finals are always top quality, and a world final between the two would be fitting. Hope this happens.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

A World Final between Judd and Robbo would be a dream. Their Finals are always top quality, and a world final between the two would be fitting. Hope this happens.

Would be a great match but that would also mean that one of them will be stuck to 1 World title for who knows how much longer. And you'd think in case of Robbo it would be his last chance.

Postby Prop

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Would be a great match but that would also mean that one of them will be stuck to 1 World title for who knows how much longer. And you'd think in case of Robbo it would be his last chance.

It’d also guarantee one of them gets their second. Swings and roundabouts.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:It’d also guarantee one of them gets their second. Swings and roundabouts.

Yeah, and it actually doesn’t guarantee a longer wait than if only one of them reached a world final.

It’s actually best-case scenario for fans who’d like to see them both win 2+ WCs.

Postby Dragonfly

Holden Chinaski wrote:So is Selby Robbo’s bunny or Judd’s bunny?

No matter what way you look at this Selby still has a vastly superior record to both of them in events that actually matter (triple crown events). Both Trump and Robertson are more naturally gifted than Selby no doubt. But until the records actually change then Selby is miles ahead on the all time greats list.

Postby sas6789

TheRocket wrote:@prop

The margins at this level are rather small so yes you're right when you say that Selbys peak game isnt far behind Robertsons. But Robertson nevertheless has the edge and lets say both are in good form/in good shape and we would have a 10 match series between them Robertson for me would be the winner on 7 or 8 occasions. Same applies to Trump v Selby.

The only occasions i remember them playing when they both played at their peak (or at least very close to it) was the world semis in 2014 and the 2020 champion of champions semi and it's one win a peace and they both virtually went all they way.

Postby TheRocket

sas6789 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:@prop

The margins at this level are rather small so yes you're right when you say that Selbys peak game isnt far behind Robertsons. But Robertson nevertheless has the edge and lets say both are in good form/in good shape and we would have a 10 match series between them Robertson for me would be the winner on 7 or 8 occasions. Same applies to Trump v Selby.

The only occasions i remember them playing when they both played at their peak (or at least very close to it) was the world semis in 2014 and the 2020 champion of champions semi and it's one win a peace and they both virtually went all they way.

Robertson only made 9 breaks over 50 in the 2014 semis. Thats nowhere near a peak level performance in a bo33 match. But its not about picking out one or two matches here. You have to look at the long run. And one important stat to compare players best level is the later stages H2H. Once a player reaches the quarter final or above we can say that he was in decent shape at least.

And Robertson has won 6 out of 9 quarter finals, 6 of 7 semis and 2 of 3 finals he played against Selby. So 14/19 wins from the quarter finals on for Robertson. As Trump was also mentioned he has even won 9 out of the 10 matches he played against Selby from the quarter finals on. One sided as hell.

The numbers tell everything. Its as simple as that. There is no doubt that Selby is the greater player due to his career record and his 4 World titles. But if he plays against a good or strong Robertson or Trump he will lose the far majority of matches.