Post a reply

Eurosport Player, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus.

Postby Prop

Just wondering if anyone can make sense of the current situation with this mess. Buckle up.

I’ve got a rolling annual subscription to the Eurosport App/Player, which I’ve had for a few years. I primarily use it on my PS4 to stream to the TV, and I also have it on my iPad which gets used less often. The subscription is £39.99 and renews in January.

I discovered (yep) a couple of days ago that the PS4 app no longer displays any feeds. Just a black screen. The app itself loads fine, behaves as it always did and lets you select a channel/feed, yet it just freezes on a black screen as soon as you try to get anything to actually play. I’ve signed out and back in, deleted the app and reinstalled it, but it’s just not having it.

The iPad app, meanwhile, is working fine. But that’s of no great help to me. I’d rather watch on the TV screen.

I know they’re trying to get people to move to Discovery Plus, but I’d like to think they wouldn’t deliberately brick the Eurosport app on certain platforms for the sake of this. Worse still, there appears to be no dedicated Discovery Plus app available to download on PS4. And my TV isn’t internet capable.

So, options :shrug:

I have a access to my parents’ Amazon Prime account through my PS4, and there’s the option on there of subscribing to Discovery Plus for £6.99 a month.

A while ago I managed to link my iPad to the TV via cable to display a mirror of whatever was on the iPad. But the resolution and aspect ratio was dogshit. Maybe there’s a better solution along the same lines these days.

What’s my best option here? I don’t really want to shell out on a Discovery Plus subscription when I’ve already got 3 months of Eurosport app subscription paid for. And I’m a bit sceptical of just how well Discovery Plus would work as a service within an app within an app (pretty sure I’ve heard some poor experiences of Eurosport accessed through Discovery Plus within an Amazon Prime account).

It’s all a big mess, isn’t it? Dozens of different streaming platforms, containing or linking internally to other streaming platforms, apps getting bricked, unsupported hardware… I mean, it’s a load of marmite.

I might have to cancel my original subscription and call it a day, just stick to the BBC and ITV tournaments. Unless someone can suggest a solution (likely, as I do not have the patience for this kind of thing).

So yeah, buck you and suck my balls, Eurosport/Discovery/whoever is in charge of this big bag of twiddle <ok>

Re: Eurosport Player, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus.

Postby McManusFan

They do seem to be phasing out the eurosport player. I don't think you can subscribe to it new, only disco+.

One thing that you might be able to try, is plugging a laptop into the TV. You might get better quality than on the ipad.

I got a 1 year discount subscription to Disco+ back in January for £30, it might be worth waiting for that sort of deal if you feel like switching to that.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:They do seem to be phasing out the eurosport player. I don't think you can subscribe to it new, only disco+.

One thing that you might be able to try, is plugging a laptop into the TV. You might get better quality than on the ipad.

I got a 1 year discount subscription to Disco+ back in January for £30, it might be worth waiting for that sort of deal if you feel like switching to that.

Good info, thanks.

I don’t have a laptop right now, just the iPad, but I’ll bear it in mind.

£30 sounds a bit more palatable doesn’t it. Maybe that’ll turn out to be the way forward.

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:They do seem to be phasing out the eurosport player. I don't think you can subscribe to it new, only disco+.

Good info, thanks.

I don’t have a laptop right now, just the iPad, but I’ll bear it in mind.

£30 sounds a bit more palatable doesn’t it. Maybe that’ll turn out to be the way forward.

Yeah, I think it was a new year sale sort of thing. My plan before that was just get it for the months where it would be useful.

Postby Juddernaut88

I hope Eurosport player isn't going to disappear completely. I have it on my TV, phone and laptop. I miss the days when the main Eurosport TV channel used to always show every session of live Snooker.

Postby Juddernaut88

Wow I'm having the same issue as Prop with my TV. The Eurosport app loads up. When I select to watch Snooker live it goes to a blue blank screen. I even selected another Sport as well to see if that happened and it did! Eurosport player is working on my phone though but this is certainly annoying.

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:Stupid question but does the PS4 have a web browser? And if so have you tried going to the ES Player website and logging in through that?

I've tried that now on the ps4. I can get onto Eurosport player using web browser and I can log in but when I select to play anything it comes up "There was an error communicating with the server"

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Stupid question but does the PS4 have a web browser? And if so have you tried going to the ES Player website and logging in through that?

I've tried that now on the ps4. I can get onto Eurosport player using web browser and I can log in but when I select to play anything it comes up "There was an error communicating with the server"

Is that Eurosport Player or Eurosport.com?

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Is that Eurosport Player or Eurosport.com?

That was on Eurosport player.

Postby Ck147

Prop wrote:Well, that’s interesting. Appreciate the input, lads.

Smells an awful lot like they’re unashamedly kicking us towards Discovery :-(

Yep, they are pushing everyone to Discovery+, just like Disney+, Paramount+, etc, etc. Should we have paid more to BBC in licence fees ages ago so they could have afforded to stop this?

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:

Yep, they are pushing everyone to Discovery+, just like Disney+, Paramount+, etc, etc. Should we have paid more to BBC in licence fees ages ago so they could have afforded to stop this?

Not sure the BBC care about snooker outside of the majors.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

Not sure the BBC care about snooker outside of the majors.

This isn't Golf or Tennis, the terminology "majors" isn't a thing in Snooker.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Just wondering if anyone can make sense of the current situation with this mess. Buckle up.

I’ve got a rolling annual subscription to the Eurosport App/Player, which I’ve had for a few years. I primarily use it on my PS4 to stream to the TV, and I also have it on my iPad which gets used less often. The subscription is £39.99 and renews in January.

I discovered (yep) a couple of days ago that the PS4 app no longer displays any feeds. Just a black screen. The app itself loads fine, behaves as it always did and lets you select a channel/feed, yet it just freezes on a black screen as soon as you try to get anything to actually play. I’ve signed out and back in, deleted the app and reinstalled it, but it’s just not having it.

The iPad app, meanwhile, is working fine. But that’s of no great help to me. I’d rather watch on the TV screen.

I know they’re trying to get people to move to Discovery Plus, but I’d like to think they wouldn’t deliberately brick the Eurosport app on certain platforms for the sake of this. Worse still, there appears to be no dedicated Discovery Plus app available to download on PS4. And my TV isn’t internet capable.

So, options :shrug:

I have a access to my parents’ Amazon Prime account through my PS4, and there’s the option on there of subscribing to Discovery Plus for £6.99 a month.

A while ago I managed to link my iPad to the TV via cable to display a mirror of whatever was on the iPad. But the resolution and aspect ratio was dogshit. Maybe there’s a better solution along the same lines these days.

What’s my best option here? I don’t really want to shell out on a Discovery Plus subscription when I’ve already got 3 months of Eurosport app subscription paid for. And I’m a bit sceptical of just how well Discovery Plus would work as a service within an app within an app (pretty sure I’ve heard some poor experiences of Eurosport accessed through Discovery Plus within an Amazon Prime account).

It’s all a big mess, isn’t it? Dozens of different streaming platforms, containing or linking internally to other streaming platforms, apps getting bricked, unsupported hardware… I mean, it’s a load of marmite.

I might have to cancel my original subscription and call it a day, just stick to the BBC and ITV tournaments. Unless someone can suggest a solution (likely, as I do not have the patience for this kind of thing).

So yeah, buck you and suck my balls, Eurosport/Discovery/whoever is in charge of this big bag of twiddle <ok>

Postby Prop

Just tried the browser on PS4 as well as the Eurosport Player/app on PS4, same deal. No bueno.

The Eurosport app is still available for download on PS4. Dark arts at play here.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've never actually watched Snooker on my PS4 before, I think I will give it a go (assuming Eurosport player on the browser will now work)

Is it working?

I've not checked yet lol. I'm watching it on my laptop.

Postby Juddernaut88

I just tried it on my PS4 now on the web browser and I still have the same error message :(
I don't have the Eurosport player app on the PS4 either and I don't have enough space to download it on the console.

Postby Minimum Break

SnookerFan wrote:I have a feeling that they are phasing out the Eurosport Player completely.

It's been a while since they stopped you being able to join in the UK, but they renewed my subscription for a year in July so I don't think they're planning to get rid of it anytime soon.

Also I'm not sure if they even have Discovery Plus in Europe, so maybe they'll keep it available in the UK as well

Postby badtemperedcyril

My ES Player was supposed to be on auto-renew but it didn’t. Wasn’t until I tried to watch snooker that I realised it had expired. Now I’ve subscribed to Discovery+ for £59.99 pa., which is still very good IMO - covers loads of tournaments, choice of tables throughout the day - all for £4.99 a month.

Postby Minimum Break

badtemperedcyril wrote:My ES Player was supposed to be on auto-renew but it didn’t. Wasn’t until I tried to watch snooker that I realised it had expired. Now I’ve subscribed to Discovery+ for £59.99 pa., which is still very good IMO - covers loads of tournaments, choice of tables throughout the day - all for £4.99 a month.

Any idea what the date was?

Mine renewed in July and is still showing as auto-renewing next July