Post a reply

Re: Eurosport Player, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:I've opted to just pay for D+ monthly sub then cancel it immediately, then renew for another month when the snooker is actually back on, seems to work out cheaper.

I might have to look into doing that. If I can be bothered.

When I went over from paying monthly, to paying yearly (because there was a half price deal on Annual Subscriptions), they made a massive pain in the bottom out of it, because I pay through Amazon to get it on my Firestick.

At one point, both Amazon and Discovery+ were swearing up and down it was cancelled, and I was still getting it. If I didn't have only a few days left to sign up for the half price deal, I'd have left it like that for a while, to see how long they noticed that I was still getting it free. <laugh>

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:I've opted to just pay for D+ monthly sub then cancel it immediately, then renew for another month when the snooker is actually back on, seems to work out cheaper.

When I went over from paying monthly, to paying yearly (because there was a half price deal on Annual Subscriptions), they made a massive pain in the bottom out of it, because I pay through Amazon to get it on my Firestick.

At one point, both Amazon and Discovery+ were swearing up and down it was cancelled, and I was still getting it. If I didn't have only a few days left to sign up for the half price deal, I'd have left it like that for a while, to see how long they noticed that I was still getting it free. <laugh>

Yeah thankfully I use my iPhone to subscribe, and as soon as I hit subscribe I'm immediately presented with the Cancel option so it's pretty convenient.

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah thankfully I use my iPhone to subscribe, and as soon as I hit subscribe I'm immediately presented with the Cancel option so it's pretty convenient.

Yeah my Discovery subscription is done through Apple. It’s a rolling £6.99 a month. So I’ll probably be doing the same. There’s only really the German Masters that I might want to watch, but I could probably cancel it now to save a bit of money. Most of the tournaments for the rest of the season are BBC or ITV now.

Postby Prop

UK - BBC
Shoot Out - not fussed
Scottish Open - Discovery
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
German Masters - Discovery
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:UK - BBC
Shoot Out - not fussed
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

Are they still showing the best bits of the home nations on Quest? If so that's the Scottish open sorted. It's only really the World Open I'd be interested in until next season.

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:
Shoot Out - not fussed
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

Are they still showing the best bits of the home nations on Quest? If so that's the Scottish open sorted. It's only really the World Open I'd be interested in until next season.

The Quarter finals onwards were on DMAX Sky channel 172 for the English Open and Northern Ireland Open so I assume that will be the same for the Scottish Open.

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Shoot Out - not fussed
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

The Quarter finals onwards were on DMAX Sky channel 172 for the English Open and Northern Ireland Open so I assume that will be the same for the Scottish Open.

Is that on Freeview/freesat too?

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Shoot Out - not fussed
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

I think so but I don't know the channel number.

Postby Minimum Break

McManusFan wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Not an option when you're not in the UK unfortunately. I'll leave mine going until May.

I do wonder if they're gearing up for a price increase next year, that's why they don't want people to lock in the current price for another year.

Oh I remember from when I used to live in Aus a few years back. I think the only legal way to get it back then was through Foxtel. Had to resort to dodgy streams and VPNs. Its good you can get disco+ there now.

Eurosport channel was binned off Foxtel a couple of years back.

For some reason Foxtel show the Champion of Champions on their normal sports channels but nothing else.

Discovery+ isn't available here. I pay through a friend in the UK and watch with a VPN.

The only official way to watch other tournaments here is matchroom.live and they STILL have no on demand function despite most play happening in the middle of the night. I'd use that for sure if they made the matches available on demand.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Shoot Out - not fussed
Masters - BBC
WGP - ITV
Welsh Open - BBC
Players - ITV
6 Reds - not fussed
World Open - Discovery
Mixed Doubles - ITV
Tour - ITV
Worlds - BBC

I think so but I don't know the channel number.

It is. Channel 39. They also showed the afternoon sessions of the Northern Ireland, but only scheduled it between 1 & 3, then cut away at 3 no matter what stage the featured match was at. Bit daft; at least Quest used to stick with it until a match finished.

Postby McManusFan

Minimum Break wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Not an option when you're not in the UK unfortunately. I'll leave mine going until May.

I do wonder if they're gearing up for a price increase next year, that's why they don't want people to lock in the current price for another year.

Oh I remember from when I used to live in Aus a few years back. I think the only legal way to get it back then was through Foxtel. Had to resort to dodgy streams and VPNs. Its good you can get disco+ there now.

For some reason Foxtel show the Champion of Champions on their normal sports channels but nothing else.

Discovery+ isn't available here. I pay through a friend in the UK and watch with a VPN.

The only official way to watch other tournaments here is matchroom.live and they STILL have no on demand function despite most play happening in the middle of the night. I'd use that for sure if they made the matches available on demand.

That sucks. At least with the VPN you'll be able to get bbc and itv events. I used to use IPlayer downloads for the worlds, you could download the whole session in HD (very slowly over VPN) and watch it at sociable hours.

Postby Minimum Break

McManusFan wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

That sucks. At least with the VPN you'll be able to get bbc and itv events. I used to use IPlayer downloads for the worlds, you could download the whole session in HD (very slowly over VPN) and watch it at sociable hours.

I've never been able to get iplayer or itv to work consistently via VPN.

The ITV tournaments are a pain.

Postby Iranu

Minimum Break wrote:So has anyone else had to move over to monthly renewals for Discovery Plus?

I was going to do that anyway but I did think it was odd that my next payment was listed as monthly and not an annual renewal.

Postby Minimum Break

Iranu wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:So has anyone else had to move over to monthly renewals for Discovery Plus?

I was going to do that anyway but I did think it was odd that my next payment was listed as monthly and not an annual renewal.

At least it's still 6.99 for now.

The TNT pack is now 30.99 a month.

Postby SnookerFan

Mine renews next week, so I'll find out.

I was under the impression that monthly had vanished, and that it was only annually now. Maybe I got that wrong, and it was the other way around.

I pay through Amazon rather than direct. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:Just googled it.

You're right. It is £6.99 a month now, no annual subscriptions available.

Thieving chameleons. That means it goes up from £59.99 a year, to £83.88 a year.

Only if you keep it for the whole year. I've cut down to just 4 or 5 months of the year, so it's cheaper for me.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just googled it.

You're right. It is £6.99 a month now, no annual subscriptions available.

Thieving chameleons. That means it goes up from £59.99 a year, to £83.88 a year.

Only if you keep it for the whole year. I've cut down to just 4 or 5 months of the year, so it's cheaper for me.

Yes, that would be the financially sounder thing to do.

Though, like I say, getting it through Amazon, last time I tried to cancel it, it wouldn't work. I ended up being on the phone to Amazon three times who swore blind it was cancelled, and live chat on the Discovery+ website who swore blind it wasn't. It took me a week before somebody worked out what the mistake was.

I might just pay the extra money, then cancel it if I don't want it.

Postby Juddernaut88

I received an email from Eurosport saying they will no longer be doing annual subscriptions and it will be monthly from April. It will be £6.99 a month. I think it was like £40-50 I paid for an annual subscription so the monthly charges work out way more expensive!

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I received an email from Eurosport saying they will no longer be doing annual subscriptions and it will be monthly from April. It will be £6.99 a month. I think it was like £40-50 I paid for an annual subscription so the monthly charges work out way more expensive!

Yep pretty rubbish. They used to do the odd deal for annual subs too, I think I got a year for £20 once.

You've just got to pick and choose your months, same with all the streaming services really.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:I get mine through Amazon, and it's taken a yearly subscription from me. :shrug:

It’ll depend when you originally subscribed. If they’ve ditched the one year subscription, some contracts will have renewed before the cut-off, but others won’t have renewed before it, so they’d only be eligible for monthly.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:When’s the last Eurosport-exclusive tournament this season?

World Open in Yushan, 18th-24th March.

The mixed doubles shortly after that is ITV IIRC?

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:

Thanks. Yeah. They’ve been advertising it this week as well.

I’ll probably cancel ES after that then until next season.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Thanks. Yeah. They’ve been advertising it this week as well.

I’ll probably cancel ES after that then until next season.

Same. Pointless paying out over spring/summer. And they’ll have to get their marketing spot on for me to sign back up for the Saudi ranker in August next season.