Post a reply

Re: Eurosport Player, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Minimum Break wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:My ES Player was supposed to be on auto-renew but it didn’t. Wasn’t until I tried to watch snooker that I realised it had expired. Now I’ve subscribed to Discovery+ for £59.99 pa., which is still very good IMO - covers loads of tournaments, choice of tables throughout the day - all for £4.99 a month.

Any idea what the date was?

Mine renewed in July and is still showing as auto-renewing next July

This month. Apparently it expired around 4th Oct… I didn’t notice until last week when I tried to watch snook.

Postby Juddernaut88

Minimum Break wrote:WST saying the UK Championship can be watched on Discovery+ across Europe. No mention of Eurosport Player at all.

https://wst.tv/watch-cazoo-uk-champions ... discovery/

That's a bit concerning. I still use Eurosport player. I'll test it later on today.

Postby Minimum Break

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:WST saying the UK Championship can be watched on Discovery+ across Europe. No mention of Eurosport Player at all.

That's a bit concerning. I still use Eurosport player. I'll test it later on today.

It's working today. Just the fact they don't mention it in the article makes me think they are phasing it out soon.

Postby Prop

Minimum Break wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

It's working today. Just the fact they don't mention it in the article makes me think they are phasing it out soon.

Yep. They’re just not marketing the ES brand any more.

Postby Prop

Just received this email from Eurosport. Clear as mud!

Eurosport Player is retiring - find out more

Hi,

Eurosport Player is coming to an end so we can focus on improving Eurosport.com and the Eurosport app — your complete hub for live sport, on-demand content and latest news.

Find out how to continue watching the Eurosport content you love below.

Changes to how you access the Eurosport service

From 13 January 2023 Eurosportplayer.com and the Eurosport Player apps will no longer be available.

Your subscription and the same premium content you love will not be affected.

You can continue watching all your favourite sports on all your devices, by signing in at Eurosport.com or via the Eurosport app.

Eurosport has a slightly different look and feel from Eurosport Player. You can also explore the different ways to browse and discover new sport content.

How to continue watching on your devices

On an Apple or Google mobile phone or tablet:

1. Delete the Eurosport Player app.

2. Download the Eurosport app from the Google or Apple app store if you haven’t already.

3. Sign in using your current username and password.

If you watch on an Xbox, Playstation 4, Samsung TV, Android TV or Fire TV, sign in and watch as normal.

Sign in now to start streaming!

For information on how to access Eurosport content via discovery+ on Apple TV devices see here.

Questions and support

To manage your subscription, visit your account.

To learn more, see our FAQs or visit our Help Centre.

Sincerely, the Eurosport Team

Postby HappyCamper

just got an email saying they are retiring the eurosport player.

https://help.eurosport.com/hc/en-gb/art ... e=DM159541

seems that if one subscribed via the website one can continue to use the subscription on the eurosport website or a single eurosport app.

new subscribers, or those who subscribed via play or apple store, will be pushed to discovery+.

Postby Ck147

The_Abbott wrote:I can't afford such things. All I got is the BBC and main Eurosport channel.

You’re lucky, I only got BBC, and that’s only if my missus lets me watch it.

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I can't afford such things. All I got is the BBC and main Eurosport channel.

Put your foot down, with a firm hand.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

I tried, it back fired, she dodged it and I ended up slapping my own face, she laughed and now owns the TV :(

Postby SnookerEd25

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

I tried, it back fired, she dodged it and I ended up slapping my own face, she laughed and now owns the TV :(

pmsl

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

rofl

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Ck147 will be required to watch Snooker on his phone, laptop or tablet

As long as his missus allows it.

She is allowing it now, thank you my luv (just in case she is a lurker)

Postby Prop

I’ve been doing a bit more digging on this. As it stands, there’s no dedicated Discovery+ app on PS4, and the ES Player app (along with my ES subscription) is defunct. So, with the impending German Masters I’m zeroing in on a solution.

If you’ve got the Amazon Prime app on PS4, you can get D+ as an add-on channel within the Amazon Prime app. Usual cost of £6.99 a month.

The downside to this is that you can’t link an existing D+ subscription to your Amazon Prime account. You have to sign up to D+ through Amazon Prime, and then you can only access D+ from within your Amazon Prime app.

This might not be much use to many of us, but if you’re used to streaming ES through your PS4 (or PS5 - same rules apply), then it’s a possible workaround.

I’ll update the thread if and when I start the subscription.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:I’ve been doing a bit more digging on this. As it stands, there’s no dedicated Discovery+ app on PS4, and the ES Player app (along with my ES subscription) is defunct. So, with the impending German Masters I’m zeroing in on a solution.

If you’ve got the Amazon Prime app on PS4, you can get D+ as an add-on channel within the Amazon Prime app. Usual cost of £6.99 a month.

The downside to this is that you can’t link an existing D+ subscription to your Amazon Prime account. You have to sign up to D+ through Amazon Prime, and then you can only access D+ from within your Amazon Prime app.

This might not be much use to many of us, but if you’re used to streaming ES through your PS4 (or PS5 - same rules apply), then it’s a possible workaround.

I had the Amazon Prime version a year or so ago. It was rubbish.

The commentary never worked, even when it was a commentary match and it was supposedly turned on. Matches were difficult to find on it, often being unable to find a match at all.

Don't know if it'll be any better on the Play Station. But watching it on my TV through my TV package, it was marmite. Wouldn't recommend.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:I’ve been doing a bit more digging on this. As it stands, there’s no dedicated Discovery+ app on PS4, and the ES Player app (along with my ES subscription) is defunct. So, with the impending German Masters I’m zeroing in on a solution.

The commentary never worked, even when it was a commentary match and it was supposedly turned on. Matches were difficult to find on it, often being unable to find a match at all.

Don't know if it'll be any better on the Play Station. But watching it on my TV through my TV package, it was marmite. Wouldn't recommend.

Yeah I remember you saying. So far the UI seems fine, not the best organised series of clicks to get to the Eurosport channels, but easy enough. Quality seems good, decent frame rate and resolution. Obviously the real test is how it handles live playback (ES Player was silky smooth on demand but live streams were rather unreliable). I’ll find that out tomorrow.

Postby Wildey

The downside to D + For me is you can only watch it in the country you registered in, ie if you go to another country you have to subscribe again.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah I remember you saying. So far the UI seems fine, not the best organised series of clicks to get to the Eurosport channels, but easy enough. Quality seems good, decent frame rate and resolution. Obviously the real test is how it handles live playback (ES Player was silky smooth on demand but live streams were rather unreliable). I’ll find that out tomorrow.

It could just be me being thick, and not knowing how to use it properly. But at the time, I saw other people on Twitter were having at least the same problem with the commentary.

Maybe in the intervening time it's all been sorted out. :shrug: Hopefully so.

Always worked fine having it as an App through my Firestick. And is much easier to use. (And I download and paid for the App, and Firestick, on Amazon. Go figure.)

Postby HappyCamper

Wildey wrote:The downside to D + For me is you can only watch it in the country you registered in, ie if you go to another country you have to subscribe again.

can you use a vpn to get round that? :elves: