Post a reply

Who is the best breakbuilder among these 5 players?

John Higgins
No votes
Judd Trump
25%
Neil Robertson
33%
Mark Selby
No votes
Ding Junhui
42%

Total votes : 12

Re: Superior breakbuilder

Postby Prop

Judd Trump has the highest centuries per frame rate in the game. So objectively, it’s him.

Postby D4P

Prop wrote:Judd Trump has the highest centuries per frame rate in the game

Neil is actually ahead of Judd at the moment...

Postby Prop

D4P wrote:
Prop wrote:Judd Trump has the highest centuries per frame rate in the game

Neil is actually ahead of Judd at the moment...

Yeah, you’re right actually. Fractionally. So in that case swap my vote for Robbo.

What I should have mentioned is that subjectively, it’s Ronnie. In terms of how they all build breaks, Ronnie is the only one that makes it look like an artform. And I know he’s not on the list, but whatever.

In terms of this list, I’d say Robbo is probably a more fine-tuned breakbuilder than Judd. To my eye, at least. Judd’s position isn’t quite as predictably accurate as Robbo’s, but he manages to keep breaks going by being such a good potter.

Postby Holden Chinaski

In a Tinpot tournament it's Judd. In anything but the final stages of the World Championship, it's Robbo. Under the highest pressure, it's Higgins and Selby. When he's playing his absolute A-game it's Ding. The GOAT is Ronnie, obviously.

Postby LC

Holden Chinaski wrote:In a Tinpot tournament it's Judd. In anything but the final stages of the World Championship, it's Robbo. Under the highest pressure, it's Higgins and Selby. When he's playing his absolute A-game it's Ding. The GOAT is Ronnie, obviously.

I agree the last few years, not last season, trump never looked like making less than 75 in the tinpot stuff, Robertson goes thru these cycles also where he just clears up all the time

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Who is the best breakbuilder when it comes to these 5 players? Discuss

Judging by the answers given so far, it seems that people don't understand what a great breakbuikder is.
It's not just about how many breaks one makes, it's about how easy he makes them.
Judd and Robbo are obviously great breakbuilders, but a lot of times they loose position and need recovery shots to keep the break going. Given how great they are at potting, they keep the break going. But that doesn't negate the fact that they loose the cueball.

The correct answer to the question asked here is: Ding Junhui.
When in full flow, Ding always has great cueball control and he's never too far from the next ball. IMO he also developed that out of necessity, since he's short and can't reach many shots, but that's another issue alltogether.

Postby Wildey

Ding Junhui all day long His cueball is second only to Ronnie but why hes not done as much as Judd and Neil is he is far too tentative in opening the back

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:Ding Junhui all day long His cueball is second only to Ronnie but why hes not done as much as Judd and Neil is he is far too tentative in opening the back

:goodpost:

Postby Prop

Ding’s probably closest in style to Ronnie’s precision in developing reds. He prefers to nudge a few open bit by bit, playing for specific reds, rather than the Trump/Robbo style of smash and grab.

I agree though. When Ding’s really on it he plays some ridiculously precise shots. Shame he’s not quite as good at being ruthless and determined to win.