Post a reply

Rebel tour.

Postby RunningSide

What happened to proposed rebel snooker tour,if I remember Ronnie seemed to like the idea and put forward a few suggestions. I like golf as a player and spectator ,starting this week the breakaway golf series starts, its backed by Saudi money. They have tempted Dustin Johnson to sign up for a reported £150 million. Wonder if Saudi money came to snooker how we'd react.

Re: Rebel tour.

Postby SnookerFan

I suspect that Ronnie never had any intention of going through with it

Postby SnookerFan

Talking about it, wasn't there meant to be a ranking event in Saudi Arabia pre-covid?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Talking about it, wasn't there meant to be a ranking event in Saudi Arabia pre-covid?

Yep there was. It's probably never going to happen now.

Postby Dragonfly

I hope Saudi money never gets involved with snooker. And hopefully a ranking event will never take place there.

Sports always seem to follow the money. But really principles should stand for something, and shouldn't get involved in rotten regimes like Saudi.

Postby SnookerEd25

The World’s biggest sporting event is taking place in Qatar later this year. I think that ship has sailed.

Postby Dragonfly

SnookerEd25 wrote:The World’s biggest sporting event is taking place in Qatar later this year. I think that ship has sailed.

Yes of course you are right. That's what I mean. Sport will follow money and forget about any principles. The world Cup this year is one of the worst examples of this.

Postby SnookerArcher

Dragonfly wrote:I hope Saudi money never gets involved with snooker. And hopefully a ranking event will never take place there.

Sports always seem to follow the money. But really principles should stand for something, and shouldn't get involved in rotten regimes like Saudi.

Yes the scrapped Saudi tournament was to have the same prize as the world championship winner so £500k, biggest prize of them all so far. (Unless we count the 4nations bonus if you win all 4 in year & get 1million, obviously it's very hard probably hardest thing to do on the WST, come to think of it no the triple crown slam is harder, that warrants a big bonus too should anyone manage it again)

And yes people did state their distaste for it being held there. Certainly does the women's tour no favours if they go there.

Re the Breakaway tour, Ronnie was fed up of the ranking system grind though he was very successful cherrypicking winning 1/2 of all tournaments he entered or at least getting to SF... He managed to reclaim no.1 briefly & then took a low profile in the 1st covid season even skipping the Masters. However he won his first world title since 2013 & secured more than enough ranking points for 2yrs & trolled the 2020-21 season not practising outside tournaments and using the match tables to practise lol by potting every last ball even dead balls. This season yes he became the world champion again and world number 1 just before, so repeat of 2019 albeit he won the world title, not go out round 1 but otherwise he won just 1 tournament so wasn't stellar in results though he played well all season.

With Hearn retiring so to speak Ronnie's been less at odds with the tour (I am sure winning his 6th WC helped), he's found some peace with it lately though he's entered everything he can and even allowed film crews to follow him intimately & have a mic on him during matches.

SnookerFan wrote:I suspect that Ronnie never had any intention of going through with it

That heated debate he had in 2018's UK championship postmatch with Steve Davis and Ken Doherty he said it's a last resort and he's no entrepreneur, biggest shock for me in that debate was he said he wants to be world no.1! So odd when he says he doesn't care about ranking points but he did go onto being no.1 twice since saying that including presently. It was funny when he spoke about it and Steve looked at disgust at him saying 'Exhibitions!?' Also it's incredible, Doherty asked 'Don't you want to beat Hendry's record of 7world titles?'
<3yrs later he's tied it! Of all his discussions that was definitely one of the most dramatic.

The enigma is obviously much happier turn of the decade with the tour having won 2 world titles and reaching no.1 twice to consider dropping out/retiring & from an interview he says he has a good lawyer friend so his dealings with World Snooker's a lot less aggro now. Oh yeah he said in interviews he keeps out of it now with discussing how to improve the tour etc, he used to care but he just tries not to anymore as it gives him grief.

Postby SnookerArcher

SnookerFan wrote:I suspect that Ronnie never had any intention of going through with it

I think he may have if he wasn't getting results his way of cherrypicking or getting back to no.1 again, winning his 6th world title obviously was an incentive to stick with the tour too.

Funny Mark Allen's comment losing the UK final 'He should kiss off on his breakaway tour' :happy:
Last I ever heard about it.
Ronnie poured water over his head on winning his record19th TC and 7th UK title & that was his last ever triple crown.....

Postby SteveJJ

Yu DeLu hasn't given up hope of receiving the call from Ronnie.

Seriously, his idea for the breakaway league to be partly made up of him, Jimmy and two match fixers was hardly going to get the sponsors flocking in, no matter how much of a draw Ronnie is.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dragonfly wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:The World’s biggest sporting event is taking place in Qatar later this year. I think that ship has sailed.

Yes of course you are right. That's what I mean. Sport will follow money and forget about any principles. The world Cup this year is one of the worst examples of this.

Or best, depending on how you look at it.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I never really took it seriously at the time. It sounded silly and a serious proposal.

Postby RunningSide

Interesting and valid points made by all.my take and hope I'm wrong, regimes like Saudi, China ect have finances to tempt any sport or sportsperson to promote their name and endorse their beliefs. Golf been used as a test ,if successful could be end of the 2 tours.Snooker has limited interest worldwide but a 16 top players series playing different countries would be challenging.

Postby mick745

And we all know how Qatar got awarded the event....

Their national team is ranked outside of the top 50. There is no way they would be playing in the tournament under normal circumstances.

Postby RunningSide

mick745 wrote:And we all know how Qatar got awarded the event....

Their national team is ranked outside of the top 50. There is no way they would be playing in the tournament under normal circumstances.

Exactly, money not a issue, play by corruption and lies.

Postby gninnur karona

That's a big call.

Qatar are current Asian holders having won seven of seven including wins over Saudi Arabia 2-0, Korea Republic 1-0, and, in the final, Japan 3-1.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerArcher wrote:I think he may have

Of course he bucking wouldn't.

Postby SnookerArcher

RunningSide wrote:Interesting and valid points made by all.my take and hope I'm wrong, regimes like Saudi, China ect have finances to tempt any sport or sportsperson to promote their name and endorse their beliefs. Golf been used as a test ,if successful could be end of the 2 tours.Snooker has limited interest worldwide but a 16 top players series playing different countries would be challenging.

All fairness USA though a purported free country has a horrendous humanitarian track record & endless warring so they put most regimes to shame in depravity but I don't think most snooker fans will think twice if USA wanted to play a part in hosting tournaments for it. We'll see how much clout the oil rich arab states are once their oil dries up. Yes at the least with China they do have the biggest following of the sport worldwide to justify hosting major tournaments for it.

What's holding snooker back as a global sport is it's too Britain dominated, what stopped its bid as an Olympic sport being successful.

SF as long as Ronnie is still getting results he'd keep on the tour most likely, if he was like in his 4yr spell of no ranking tournaments who knows he may retire or start that tour, at the least he still has a mean to play if not getting results by WST.

Postby mick745

gninnur karona wrote:

That's a big call.

Qatar are current Asian holders having won seven of seven including wins over Saudi Arabia 2-0, Korea Republic 1-0, and, in the final, Japan 3-1.

And to be fair they beat the mighty Bhutan 15-0 in qualifying for that event.

But they have never qualified for the World Cup in any of their previous attempts.

In the last world cup they finished bottom of their qualifying group behind China, Uzbekistan, Syria, South Korea and Iran.

Let's see how they get on against Netherlands, Ecuador and Senegal in November.

Postby Cloud Strife

mick745 wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:

That's a big call.

And to be fair they beat the mighty Bhutan 15-0 in qualifying for that event.

But they have never qualified for the World Cup in any of their previous attempts.

In the last world cup they finished bottom of their qualifying group behind China, Uzbekistan, Syria, South Korea and Iran.

Let's see how they get on against Netherlands, Ecuador and Senegal in November.

Qatar are one of the best teams in Asia at the moment. They would have been amongst the favourites to qualify even without hosting the event.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Qatar are one of the best teams in Asia at the moment. They would have been amongst the favourites to qualify even without hosting the event.

Can’t say I’ve been following the exploits of the Qatar team all that closely but is it not likely that they’re one of the best teams in Asia because they were chosen to host the event?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dragonfly wrote:I hope Saudi money never gets involved with snooker. And hopefully a ranking event will never take place there.

Talk about double standards. <laugh>
What makes the Saudi Regime so different from say the Communist Regime in China ?!? :chin: