Post a reply

Re: Sir Ian McKellen at the Ronnie exhibition

Postby Acé

Cloud Strife wrote:Which one in the photo is Ian McKellen???

between Ronnie and Jimmy

Ian Mckellen played Gandalf in lord of the rings and magneto in the older x-men films if you're into fantasy and comic book films

Postby shanew48

Acé wrote:

between Ronnie and Jimmy

Ian Mckellen played Gandalf in lord of the rings and magneto in the older x-men films if you're into fantasy and comic book films

"into fantasy and comic book films" AKA "virgins" Some of them live alone and not with their parents and/or Nan but it's as rare as hens teeth in reality.

Postby Wildey

Ian McKellen was in the first play ever staged at the Crucible theatre in 1971

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucible_Theatre
The opening night performances were Fanfare, an evening's entertainment showing children acting in an improvised scene, Anton Chekhov's Swansong with Ian McKellen and Edward Petherbridge, and a music hall finale with a Sheffield brass band.

Postby shanew48

HappyCamper wrote:like half the biggest grossing box office films of the last few years comic book films, no. that is a lot of virgins.

I think that says more about the maturity of the populous than the quality of those types of films, I thought comic books were aimed at children predicated on the premise that adults wouldn't be interested in children's books but it would seem not!

Postby LDS

shanew48 wrote:I think that says more about the maturity of the populous than the quality of those types of films, I thought comic books were aimed at children predicated on the premise that adults wouldn't be interested in children's books but it would seem not!

I think it says more about your maturity than anything about any kind of film.

Fantasy is the original high literature from Homer to the Bible and from King Arthur to The Arabian Nights.

Even Shakespeare wrote fantasy and Lewis Carroll is practically the highest art imaginable.

So what's your favourite genre Shane? Do tell...

Postby SnookerEd25

I doubt Shane has a genre; he just likes to pick holes in other people’s.

It reminds me of Stephen Fry’s comment on Room 101, when he wanted to put critics in.

‘Imagine a critic at the gates of heaven, and St. Peter asks “so what did you do with your life?”

“Well, I looked at things other people did, and then told them why it didn’t really work” ‘

<doh>

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I doubt Shane has a genre; he just likes to pick holes in other people’s.

It reminds me of Stephen Fry’s comment on Room 101, when he wanted to put critics in.

‘Imagine a critic at the gates of heaven, and St. Peter asks “so what did you do with your life?”

“Well, I looked at things other people did, and then told them why it didn’t really work” ‘

<doh>

The problem with the internet being so readily available, and so easy to post your opinion on, far too many people think that they're professional critics, as if they're opinion is somehow important.

The second problem is a lot of people think that being a movie/music/whatever critic just means slagging everything off and nothing more.

Postby shanew48

LDS wrote:
shanew48 wrote:I think that says more about the maturity of the populous than the quality of those types of films, I thought comic books were aimed at children predicated on the premise that adults wouldn't be interested in children's books but it would seem not!

I think it says more about your maturity than anything about any kind of film.

Fantasy is the original high literature from Homer to the Bible and from King Arthur to The Arabian Nights.

Even Shakespeare wrote fantasy and Lewis Carroll is practically the highest art imaginable.

So what's your favourite genre Shane? Do tell...

Documentaries or films that are based on true stories, maybe I don't have the imagination required to appreciate the fantasy genre, that could be the Autism at play again quite possibly.

Is that mature and introspective enough for you?

Postby HappyCamper

shanew48 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:like half the biggest grossing box office films of the last few years comic book films, no. that is a lot of virgins.

I think that says more about the maturity of the populous than the quality of those types of films, I thought comic books were aimed at children predicated on the premise that adults wouldn't be interested in children's books but it would seem not!

you thought incorrectly. comic books are not all aimed at children.

Postby LDS

shanew48 wrote:Documentaries or films that are based on true stories, maybe I don't have the imagination required to appreciate the fantasy genre, that could be the Autism at play again quite possibly.

Is that mature and introspective enough for you?

Documentaries are cool, but they're not what most people think of when sitting down to watch a 'movie', though some documentaries are released theatrically or as if they were films.

Films 'based on' true stories, however, is very much a piece of string. All films, even the most fantastic and outlandish are always, in some way, based on true stories. And even the most sincere attempt to film precisely the events of a true story will have heavily fictionalised elements, aka have lots of fantasy. And if you are going to completely play down any fictional elements, then you might as well make a documentary instead.

But, yes, it sounds like you don't like fiction generally, and there are plenty of very happy and very sociable people who do enjoy fiction. I think this goes without saying.

Postby Acé

shanew48 wrote:
Acé wrote:

between Ronnie and Jimmy

"into fantasy and comic book films" AKA "virgins" Some of them live alone and not with their parents and/or Nan but it's as rare as hens teeth in reality.

that reasoning doesn't fly anymore dude it's not the 80s or the 90s, fantasy and comic book films isn't the virgin, nerdy things you think it is these days, heck, for the last 2 decades or so it's ruled the world

even anime is a mainstream genre these days

i mean yeah there was a time where you'd be classed as a basement nerd or something for liking things like that but that era of thinking like that has been dead and buried for a while

Postby Acé

the only thing the success of the "nerdy" things has shown is that people simply weren't willing to read lol

cuz all of this stuff is based off written OLD material (like the MCU storylines is decades old) but once the visual adaptions come out, people like it

we are at the end of the day, simple minded and nothing wrong with that

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:the only thing the success of the "nerdy" things has shown is that people simply weren't willing to read lol

cuz all of this stuff is based off written OLD material (like the MCU storylines is decades old) but once the visual adaptions come out, people like it

I think it’s more to do with the convoluted and inaccessible nature of comic books than anything else tbh.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:the only thing the success of the "nerdy" things has shown is that people simply weren't willing to read lol

I think it’s more to do with the convoluted and inaccessible nature of comic books than anything else tbh.

good point plus expense, i didn't think of the expense, comic books are bucking expensive LOL

I have a Disney+ subscription and i was looking at the users and they have 125+ MILLION users, times that by a 10 dollar subscription and they're raking in well over a BILLION every month

we are talking about a whole platform 80% of it dedicated to Marvel and Star Wars

and don't forget that's just legally (no torrents, free streaming etc)

i'd argue you probably ain't "cool" enough if you don't watch any of these things these days

like my manager told me I had a sad life cuz I was late watching Stranger Things S4 by a week instead of watching it the moment it came out, told her I was at work...doing overtime for you LOL

these things were never for kids, people just found it embarrassing and insecure to be associated with it but the script has changed. imagine your dad talking about Dr Strange to you LMAO