Post a reply

Snooker v Pool

Postby RunningSide

Gary Wilson and Martin Gould have entered the English pool championship. First pool event for them,do we fancy their chances. Judd attempt in US open failed when drawing a top player

Re: Snooker v Pool

Postby Prop

It’ll depend whether they’ve got an idea of strategy. They can both pot balls (probably better than most of the pool tour) but position isn’t exactly played the same way in pool. And they’re likely to make a few strategic errors.

Experience is what beat Judd. And it’ll likely be the same here unless they happen to play (or at least watch) a lot of pool.

Postby SnookerEd25

9 Ball?

I’ve seen Gouldie play before, a few years ago - so I’m sure he’ll have a decent idea of tactics and strategy. I’m unsure how much Gary has played though.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:9 Ball?

aye, it's nine ball.

Postby Prop

Will this be streamed?

Postby HappyCamper

on sky sports in the uk & ireland apparently for the later stages. streaming the earlier rounds.

17-20 May will be available globally on Matchroom Pool Facebook and YouTube as well as Matchroom.Live

21-22 May will be available on the below broadcasters

Sky Sports – UK and Ireland
AMC Network – Hungary
Dazn – Canada, USA, Brazil, Italy, Spain
Foxtel – Australia
Nova – Czech Rep & Slovakia
Saudi Sports Co – MENA Region
Sportklub – Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia.
Viaplay – Estonia, Lithuania, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland
Rest of the World – Matchroom.Live

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:on sky sports in the uk & ireland apparently for the later stages. streaming the earlier rounds.

17-20 May will be available globally on Matchroom Pool Facebook and YouTube as well as Matchroom.Live

21-22 May will be available on the below broadcasters

Sky Sports – UK and Ireland
AMC Network – Hungary
Dazn – Canada, USA, Brazil, Italy, Spain
Foxtel – Australia
Nova – Czech Rep & Slovakia
Saudi Sports Co – MENA Region
Sportklub – Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia.
Viaplay – Estonia, Lithuania, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland
Rest of the World – Matchroom.Live

:hatoff:

Postby RunningSide

I personally think Gary Wilson will make final 8,got a feeling he's motivated and looking for a payday.

Postby Dan-cat

RunningSide wrote:I personally think Gary Wilson will make final 8,got a feeling he's motivated and looking for a payday.

Will be watching with interest!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:I don’t fancy their chances much against players that live breathe and eat 9 ball

Agreed.

Postby Dan-cat

I really fell for Judd’s flattery to deceive in the first couple of rounds in the US Open last year, then he came up against Jayson Shaw and got turned over properly. Mind you, the nugget got to the semis one year. A remarkable achievement really.

Postby SnookerEd25

Quarters in 2000, Corey Duell beat him. Mind Steve had despatched Efren Reyes, Rolf Soquet & Kunihiko Takahashi - World Champions all - to get to the last 8

Postby Minimum Break

I am actually looking forward to watching this tonight.

I'll probably get bored after a couple of matches listening to Phil Yates though. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I don’t fancy their chances much against players that live breathe and eat 9 ball

That's it, really.

I still contend that snooker is a more difficult game, that's fairly obvious.

It doesn't necessarily follow like some say that a decent snooker player could automatically beat decent pool player with no prep. Probably if the snooker player retired from snooker, dedicated themselves to pool and got some experience they'd be winning tournaments. But just turning up for a tournament because they fancy it, probably not.

Postby badtemperedcyril

It goes without saying that snooker is more technically difficult than pool, as in potting balls and making breaks.

The hard part for a snooker player, playing pool, is learning to be tactically savvy. So in terms of technique and cue-ball control, Martin and Gary will almost certainly be superior to their pool playing adversaries and will win a number of racks by clearing from the break. It’s the racks that they don’t clear up that you’d have to favour the pool players because they have the tactical expertise and know how.

The other point is the break. Most 9-ball players use a break cue and perfect the art of getting a wide split while keeping the cue-ball somewhere in the middle of the table. Quite often you see a snooker player, when playing pool, break using their regular snooker cue. That has to be a disadvantage. Probably not good for the cue either.

Postby Prop

Good points. And in particular about the break-off. Pool balls are larger than snooker balls, not by much, but in terms of volume and therefore mass they are quite a bit heavier, so it’s going to be subjecting the tip to much more of a battering than snooker does.

Maybe they’re taking it seriously and they’ve got proper pool cues. But that brings about the issue of unfamiliarity.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When this tournament was announced during the US Open last September the expectation was that Trump and maybe one or two real big names would be involved.

Postby Minimum Break

SnookerFan wrote:Noob question here.

Why do they use a separate break cue?

I think it's heavier so they get more power.

Postby Minimum Break

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:When this tournament was announced during the US Open last September the expectation was that Trump and maybe one or two real big names would be involved.

Looks like they all preferred some time off.

Postby badtemperedcyril

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:When this tournament was announced during the US Open last September the expectation was that Trump and maybe one or two real big names would be involved.

Judd and Jack have been doing some exhibitions in Brighton

Postby Johnny Bravo

Minimum Break wrote:

Actually it's a lot lighter so you can push through faster, that's how you generate power.

Postby Minimum Break

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

Actually it's a lot lighter so you can push through faster, that's how you generate power.

<ok>

Postby RunningSide

Both snooker boys won yesterday, up against other winners today, can they go to next round, I think so.No pool fan to be honest but few matches I saw yesterday, wow difference in standard embarrassing, some players virtually no control of cue ball.

Postby Minimum Break

RunningSide wrote:Both snooker boys won yesterday, up against other winners today, can they go to next round, I think so.No pool fan to be honest but few matches I saw yesterday, wow difference in standard embarrassing, some players virtually no control of cue ball.

You forgot about Fraser Patrick (or Frazer as the official site calls him) :no:

He won 9-6 against some non-entity yesterday and plays the number 9 seed Oliver Szolnoki today.

Postby RunningSide

Apologies to Mr Patrick.

Postby Deewee

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:

Well its either or, you see both heavy and really light break cues