Post a reply

Who do you rate as the greater player?

Stephen Hendry
13%
Ronnie O'Sullivan
87%

Total votes : 31

Re: Who do you rate as the greater player?

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:"Trailing 16-14, taking indiscriminate swipes when escaping from snookers and playing as though it was an exhibition"

Senior Eurosport Commentator and Snooker Scene Chief Reporter

Move on mate. This isn’t good for you.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:I watched that match and especially the final session on a few occasions. Ronnie played around 4 hit and hope shots in the final session and only once he actually got away with it. Which was in the decider on the final red but even then he didnt really get away with it because Selby played a good shot and still snookered him. Ronnie then played the excellent two cushion escape and the rest is history. Also from 14:16 down he made a century, a 70 odd and 60 odd break.

Selbys biggest mistake was when he was 13:9 up and wasted around 3 or 4 chances to make it 14:9. Ronnie made a similar mistake in 2014 when he didnt take the chance to gain a bigger lead.

I don't recall Ronnie playing a hit and hope shot in the decider but I could be wrong. I remember him doing it a few times in earlier frames. In the decider I remember it being a good safety battle on the final red and Ronnie made a pretty good escape and then played a good snooker which resulted in him winning the frame.
I completely agree though that Selby had some good chances to go 14-9 up and when Ronnie got it back to 13-11 it was pretty much game on.
It's a match that could have gone either way but Ronnie played very well in the last 3 frames and he deserved the win.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Juddernaut88 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I watched that match and especially the final session on a few occasions. Ronnie played around 4 hit and hope shots in the final session and only once he actually got away with it. Which was in the decider on the final red but even then he didnt really get away with it because Selby played a good shot and still snookered him. Ronnie then played the excellent two cushion escape and the rest is history. Also from 14:16 down he made a century, a 70 odd and 60 odd break.

Selbys biggest mistake was when he was 13:9 up and wasted around 3 or 4 chances to make it 14:9. Ronnie made a similar mistake in 2014 when he didnt take the chance to gain a bigger lead.

I don't recall Ronnie playing a hit and hope shot in the decider but I could be wrong. I remember him doing it a few times in earlier frames. In the decider I remember it being a good safety battle on the final red and Ronnie made a pretty good escape and then played a good snooker which resulted in him winning the frame.
I completely agree though that Selby had some good chances to go 14-9 up and when Ronnie got it back to 13-11 it was pretty much game on.
It's a match that could have gone either way but Ronnie played very well in the last 3 frames and he deserved the win.

I remember the last red when Selby snookered him and he smashed it and snookered Selby back. Hendry called it outrageous.

Postby Alex0paul

Unfortunately O'Sullivan has only won 6 proper WCs compared to Hendry's 7 as one was played behind closed doors. He will forever have an asterisk next to his final haul.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:Selby got his bottom handed to him by Ronnie in that match.

Reminds me of a Stephen Fry monologue
“I went for my morning walk, and along the way stopped to pick a buttercup. I wondered who it was who’s been leaving buttocks around”

Postby McManusFan

Alex0paul wrote:Unfortunately O'Sullivan has only won 6 proper WCs compared to Hendry's 7 as one was played behind closed doors. He will forever have an asterisk next to his final haul.

Don't forget that 6 and 7 had best of 11 qualifiers... :stir:

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Unfortunately O'Sullivan has only won 6 proper WCs compared to Hendry's 7 as one was played behind closed doors. He will forever have an asterisk next to his final haul.

What if he ends up winning 9?

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:If ROS had lost to Selby in 2020 he would have been finished at the Crucible imo and stuck on 5 forever. But the snooker gods did what they thought would be right and I'm glad it turned out that way.

7 World titles should be the minimum for a player of ROS calibre while Selby is a very firm All-Time Great just like Higgins or Williams are but all three are a tier below the ROS/Hendry tier.

Higgins is better than Hendry.
Hendry faced weak competition.
If he was the same age as ROS, Higgins an Willo, he'd have won no more than 2 or 3 world titles.

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:Jimmy weren’t off his tits in the 90’s, he’d pretty much cleaned up by then. The period between 84 and 89 was when he was really smashing it.

White was doing coke bigtime in the 90s, he has admitted that in interviews.

Postby Johnny Bravo

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

badtemperedcyril wrote:"Trailing 16-14, taking indiscriminate swipes when escaping from snookers and playing as though it was an exhibition"

Just not true.

Ronnie spoke about it afterwards saying ‘I could have played just to roll up, but this would have allowed Selby to put me in another possibly worse snooker.’ The hit and hope was strategy, and I’ve since seen other players do it more often.

Postby lhpirnie

Pink Ball wrote:Given the context, O'Sullivan was ridiculously brilliant in the last three frames of that Selby match.

He was, but actually Selby missed quite a straightforward chance to win on the colours in the final frame. There's too much mythology attached to that match, and it was only 2 years ago!

For me, I do think Ronnie has raised the bar, i.e. a stronger player than his predecessors. I hope I live long enough to see someone come along and raise the bar still higher, as will surely happen sometime.

Postby TheRocket

lhpirnie wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Given the context, O'Sullivan was ridiculously brilliant in the last three frames of that Selby match.

He was, but actually Selby missed quite a straightforward chance to win on the colours in the final frame. There's too much mythology attached to that match, and it was only 2 years ago!

For me, I do think Ronnie has raised the bar, i.e. a stronger player than his predecessors. I hope I live long enough to see someone come along and raise the bar still higher, as will surely happen sometime.

I'm not so sure. I think one reason the Class of 92, particularly Ronnie is still doing so well is because they probably play as good as it gets for humankind. There are limits for humans. Can you see someone in Tennis reaching a higher level than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic? I dont think so.

You will have the odd freak performance though like from Judd in the 2019 World final.

Postby mick745

TheRocket wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I'm not so sure. I think one reason the Class of 92, particularly Ronnie is still doing so well is because they probably play as good as it gets for humankind. There are limits for humans. Can you see someone in Tennis reaching a higher level than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic? I dont think so.

You will have the odd freak performance though like from Judd in the 2019 World final.

I believe it will happen. Maybe not for a few decades, or maybe quite quickly but somebody in the future will raise the bar higher. Ronnie's standard can be bettered there is no doubt. There were probably people thinking Joe Davis's standard would never be bettered, and it wasnt for a long while afterwards as the game declined.

Postby Iranu

The Class of 92 will definitely be improved upon eventually, as long as the sport doesn’t die.

Until someone plays perfect snooker, there’ll always be someone who comes along and betters them.

Postby TheRocket

mick745 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I believe it will happen. Maybe not for a few decades, or maybe quite quickly but somebody in the future will raise the bar higher. Ronnie's standard can be bettered there is no doubt. There were probably people thinking Joe Davis's standard would never be bettered, and it wasnt for a long while afterwards as the game declined.

Joe Davis was always gonna be bettered because he still played in the early days of Snooker. He was like the first greatest player. Like Rod Laver maybe. And if you're the very first in something you will get surpassed eventually.
I cant rule it out that someone will better Ronnies standard but it will be tough.

I think it will be a Chinese supertalent if it happens.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Joe Davis was always gonna be bettered because he still played in the early days of Snooker. He was like the first greatest player. Like Rod Laver maybe. And if you're the very first in something you will get surpassed eventually.
I cant rule it out that someone will better Ronnies standard but it will be tough.

Don’t forget, if we think about it Ronnie is also playing in the early days of snooker on a wide scale. He turned pro like a year (?) after the game went open and it’s only just starting to become anything resembling a truly international sport.

Postby Cloud Strife

lhpirnie wrote:

The clearance wasn't straightforward at all (unless you have far higher expectations than I do). The last remaining red was in a fairly awkward place near the top left cushion which Selby duly failed to get on. It would have been a remarkable steal under the circumstances.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:

Just not true.

Ronnie spoke about it afterwards saying ‘I could have played just to roll up, but this would have allowed Selby to put me in another possibly worse snooker.’ The hit and hope was strategy, and I’ve since seen other players do it more often.

I've gone back and re-watched that final frame and from what I saw there was only really one instance that could be described as hit and hope, and that was the shot after Selby's first snooker. And even then Ronnie knew what he was trying to do, but yeah, he was fortunate to get the snooker back.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Joe Davis was always gonna be bettered because he still played in the early days of Snooker. He was like the first greatest player. Like Rod Laver maybe. And if you're the very first in something you will get surpassed eventually.

Don’t forget, if we think about it Ronnie is also playing in the early days of snooker on a wide scale. He turned pro like a year (?) after the game went open and it’s only just starting to become anything resembling a truly international sport.

He turned pro in 92 but reached his true peak only from the 00's on. He also had Steve Davis and Hendry as a benchmark. And another thing that worked in his advantage is that he had an incredible main rival with Higgins who pushed him to the limit. And he obviously played Hendry a lot of times as well in the first half of his career.

I think thats what the new guy who is supposed to raise the bar even higher needs as well. He will have Ronnie as his benchmark but he needs 2-3 rivals who also push him to the limit.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:He turned pro in 92 but reached his true peak only from the 00's on. He also had Steve Davis and Hendry as a benchmark. And another thing that worked in his advantage is that he had an incredible main rival with Higgins who pushed him to the limit. And he obviously played Hendry a lot of times as well in the first half of his career.

I think thats what the new guy who is supposed to raise the bar even higher needs as well. He will have Ronnie as his benchmark but he needs 2-3 rivals who also push him to the limit.

Yeah but I’m saying snooker is still pretty young as an open sport and even younger as an international sport. So there’s a lot of potential still to be reached.

I think it’s not just likely but inevitable. It happens all the time in sport and people always think that x player is the pinnacle - until someone new comes along. We’ve already seen it happen with snooker.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:He turned pro in 92 but reached his true peak only from the 00's on. He also had Steve Davis and Hendry as a benchmark. And another thing that worked in his advantage is that he had an incredible main rival with Higgins who pushed him to the limit. And he obviously played Hendry a lot of times as well in the first half of his career.

Yeah but I’m saying snooker is still pretty young as an open sport and even younger as an international sport. So there’s a lot of potential still to be reached.

I think it’s not just likely but inevitable. It happens all the time in sport and people always think that x player is the pinnacle - until someone new comes along. We’ve already seen it happen with snooker

Yes but there are always limits you'd think. As a human. You will reach a stage eventually where it doesnt get better unless you're a machine. Especially when it comes to a sport like Snooker where its about the finest of margins.

I'm not saying we're there yet btw. We simply dont know and future will tell but if there will be someone in the future who is better than the current level of toppros including Ronnie that guy needs to be a very special talent.