Post a reply

Excepting you have had your highest break.

Postby RunningSide

Any Islanders feeling they have had their highest break of their life, played Sunday and sadly came to that conclusion.

Re: Excepting you have had your highest break.

Postby Juddernaut88

I kind of feel like it's very unlikely I am going to beat my highest break, I made that around November 2014. The only way I would is if I played more regularly and had a little bit of coaching but I don't really have the time for either to be honest.

Postby RunningSide

Was talking to a guy I've known 40 years and he said he managed to match his break to his age upto 78,he's now excepted he'll never top 50 again, feeling sad for him I said you'd played so good for so long, then said he ment in comps ,stil knocking 80+ with mates.

Postby Prop

Yes and no. I’m struggling to get much time at the club, so I’m quite rusty, and you’ve got to put the time in to really play anything like your best.

But on the odd occasion I do get a game, I still feel pretty good in and around pink and black. Usually have a couple of decent breaks, slipping up when I don’t take it very seriously and take on a ridiculous long pot. I used to get quite a few of those. Not any more.

I’d have regular 50s a few years ago. Can’t remember the last time. High break of 65 which has stood for many years. I still think I might get a ton one day. But it really would be a one off. And I’d have to actually start playing regularly again <laugh>

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:We’ll all of this is moot if you aren’t playing regularly. I made bigger breaks when I was 20, but I played everyday. And that’s the difference.

True.

Although there is some strange thing I’ve noticed, playing for the first time after a long layoff. Sometimes for the first 15 minutes I play immaculately, really focused, cueing nice and straight. And I’ve had a few 40s and 50s in that scenario. First poke after 6 months or more out. And then the wheels fall off and I play terribly for the next two hours.

I made a point of being conscious of it the last time it happened, and came to the conclusion that for a short period of time any bad habits don’t come to the surface. And you play how you should play. But then as that first frame goes on, all the bad habits creep back in.

It’s 99% in the head this sport!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:[Sometimes for the first 15 minutes I play immaculately, really focused, cueing nice and straight. And I’ve had a few 40s and 50s in that scenario. First poke after 6 months or more out. And then the wheels fall off and I play terribly for the next two hours.

I made a point of being conscious of it the last time it happened, and came to the conclusion that for a short period of time any bad habits don’t come to the surface. And you play how you should play. But then as that first frame goes on, all the bad habits creep back in.

Yes that is very recognisable for me.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:Anyone here ever tried Sight Right?

I still have no idea what it is :shrug:

I would love it if someone were able to elaborate :chin:

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:

https://sightrightcuesports.com/what-is-sightright/

MJW used to make fun of it on Twitter, but now he says it helped him a lot. Current seniors World Champ Lee Walker uses it as well.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Prop wrote:[Sometimes for the first 15 minutes I play immaculately, really focused, cueing nice and straight. And I’ve had a few 40s and 50s in that scenario. First poke after 6 months or more out. And then the wheels fall off and I play terribly for the next two hours.

You have answered your own problem. Focus.

Meditation helps with this. Being present. It’s the most important thing.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

https://sightrightcuesports.com/what-is-sightright/

MJW used to make fun of it on Twitter, but now he says it helped him a lot. Current seniors World Champ Lee Walker uses it as well.

True…but click on the link, and it looks like Hendry does too… :sad:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yes being present is the answer. Sometimes it helps for me to just focus on one single thing, such as pausing on the back swing a bit.

Postby RunningSide

Dan-cat wrote:It irks me that this thread should be entitled ‘Accepting…’ <laugh>

Sorry Dan,I'm 66 soon and now going backwards, you younger players still have goals.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yeah the thing is though there’s a difference between the natural focus after the long lay-off, and trying to be focused after the bad habits creep back in. They’re two distinct states of mind.

Muscle memory must be playing a large part, as well.