Post a reply

Re: Excepting you have had your highest break.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:
RunningSide wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:My highest break is 0.

Video evidence would be good viewing.

I see a bet coming.

Do we have a mediator? :chin:

Postby The_Abbott

There is no chance I will beat mine. I got my highest break during the 1990's and haven't got anywhere close since - I think maybe a 20 something occasionally and that is just potting balls that I could because I lose position so often its ridiculous.

My eye sight has faded over the years too and playing with glasses isn't an option really. Yet I can still strike some long pot beauties and then miss an easy black/colour.

I haven't played in over a year now and don't plan on picking the cue up anytime soon.

Postby Dan-cat

Right now I’m playing 6 hours of snooker a week, and 12 hours of pool.

All I know is I get down on a long pot and fancy it. Don’t always get ‘em, but If I miss I’m close. Confidence, muscle memory, training your focus… they all come from hours at the coalface

Postby The_Abbott

I remember some jumped up twatty kid beat me in Spain years ago. He was only like 6. I vowed to quit snooker after that humiliation.

I of course blamed it on 'not feeling' well. Even worst was my dad then beat the twatty kid. Double humiliation.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerEd25 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Even worst was my dad then beat the twatty kid.

:shock:

I hope you mean on the snooker table…

LOL yes. But luckily my dad got beat in round 3. Theres me boasting "I'll be a snooker player when I grow up with a break of about 30" and I get dumped out in round 1. They were only BO3 but I still lost 2-0. With a high break of about 7.

I feel depressed just thinking about what could have been. I could have been the Ronnie O'Sullivan you see on TV if I had only beaten that twatty kid.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I thought I had no chance of beating my highest break *made about 16 years ago,

I have started to get my game back again though and it is more consistent than before.

Today I had a 77, and a 48 plus a couple of thirties.

I think I can do it.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I thought I had no chance of beating my highest break *made about 16 years ago,

I have started to get my game back again though and it is more consistent than before.

I think I can do it.

Holden will offer you £1,000 to prove it

Postby Juddernaut88

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I thought I had no chance of beating my highest break *made about 16 years ago,

I think I can do it.

You need to coach me sometime <ok>

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Juddernaut88 wrote:

I think I can do it.

You need to coach me sometime <ok>

Nah JN - I was playing rubbish a while back.

It is nothing technical - just confidence.

Everything has fallen into place for me - feels an easy game atm.

I am still weak at splitting the pack though

Postby RunningSide

gallantrabbit wrote:I made a 117 the other week. Hadn't made a ton for 25 years so it can be done!! Will admit that I didn't barely play for 21 years...

That's amazing Mr Rabbit, 25 year gap between tons must be a record, I've started playing again after 2 months off with a shoulder injury and really struggling, you sir are a legend.

Postby Prop

BSP and Gallantrabbit - my hat is off for both of you! Great hearing that :hatoff:

I had a knock last week, nothing special. But I feel like I am holding on to enough of my old skills to make me think I could one day better my 65.

Hearing that from you two kind of adds to the confidence. Yes, we get rusty if we don’t play enough, but getting back to a good level is far from impossible.

My problem right now is that I just don’t play often enough. I have a lack of playing partners at the minute. I’m considering going to the club on my own actually. If I make a habit out of that I think I could get back in the groove :-)

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Come on Prop

Think I might have a few hours this week if I can actually get down on the shot (pulled my back a bit, typically middle-aged thing to do <laugh>)

Interesting what you mentioned about splitting the pack. If anything that’s something I’m actually getting better at. Granted, my long potting is declining (again, age-related) but I seem to have more clarity of thought now when I’m in the balls, playing little developing cannons, stuns and screws.

I think for me it’s a case of being more sensible in selecting the right shot before I actually play it. I’ll often split the pack successfully now by controlling the pace and spin - giving those things much more thought, whereas back in the day I’d just give it a big whack with loads of screw and hope for the best!

Also I’ve found the table I play on really determines what sort of shots I use to open the pack. If I’m on one of the slow and unresponsive outside tables I tend to avoid using screw off the black for example, and just try and leave an angle that lets me play it plain ball. Otherwise the white just stops dead in the balls and leaves me nothing. But the match table is a bit more responsive, so it’s easier to get more movement on the white and get it ripping through the reds with spin.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Prop wrote:

Think I might have a few hours this week if I can actually get down on the shot (pulled my back a bit, typically middle-aged thing to do <laugh>)

Interesting what you mentioned about splitting the pack. If anything that’s something I’m actually getting better at. Granted, my long potting is declining (again, age-related) but I seem to have more clarity of thought now when I’m in the balls, playing little developing cannons, stuns and screws.

I think for me it’s a case of being more sensible in selecting the right shot before I actually play it. I’ll often split the pack successfully now by controlling the pace and spin - giving those things much more thought, whereas back in the day I’d just give it a big whack with loads of screw and hope for the best!

Also I’ve found the table I play on really determines what sort of shots I use to open the pack. If I’m on one of the slow and unresponsive outside tables I tend to avoid using screw off the black for example, and just try and leave an angle that lets me play it plain ball. Otherwise the white just stops dead in the balls and leaves me nothing. But the match table is a bit more responsive, so it’s easier to get more movement on the white and get it ripping through the reds with spin.

Interesting post.

I will use what you say when I play today.

I have always just given the pack a good whack and often end up stuck in the middle of the pack with nothing on. I have never really played it like any other shot where I would select spin etc based on where I want to end up. I have always seen it as bad luck when I end on nothing but I will think differently today.

The other thing is that I need to go into the pack more from the blue (rather than black) I think as I am generally more successful with this shot.

Hope you have a good session

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Prop wrote:

Interesting post.

I will use what you say when I play today.

I have always just given the pack a good whack and often end up stuck in the middle of the pack with nothing on. I have never really played it like any other shot where I would select spin etc based on where I want to end up. I have always seen it as bad luck when I end on nothing but I will think differently today.

The other thing is that I need to go into the pack more from the blue (rather than black) I think as I am generally more successful with this shot.

Hope you have a good session

Thanks mate :-)

Yeah that’s exactly it. There’s a right and wrong way of playing into the pack, just like every other shot, and it’s different every time. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve often had plenty of success with the old ‘whack and pray’ approach, but I’m definitely getting better results by stopping to study the pack a bit.

Actually - and Iranu might back me up here - it’s something you see even the professionals get wrong from time to time. They’ll play into the pack off the black with screw, almost by default, and end up stuck to the bottom of the pack.

If the pack is right, and the angle is right, playing it plain ball is surprisingly fruitful.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Highest is 57 when I was 16. Never really play now. Had one game in the last 3 years. It was a struggle last time - bit of a strain on the neck and shoulders. I’ve also developed a short sightedness in my right eye but the left is perfect. Doesn’t sound much but I’m used to sighting with both eyes.